• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rang-a-stang
    Administrator
    • Oct 31, 2016

Originally posted by Driftwood
    ... I got a rash just from seeing the wiring laying everywhere. Serpentine system is a nice upgrade.
    The wires are awful right now but I didn't want to spend a bunch of time getting them all the right length and routed well only to have to tear into them again. I wanted to make sure it "worked" before final install.

The serpentine system is novel but I regret it.
    Originally posted by babywag
    ...You MUST use a good heatsink on ignition module or it'll die.

Were you able to monitor data while it was running?
    I bought a heat sink at Frys that was the perfect size, looked great on there and I assumed it would be "good enough". It was not; I vastly underestimated the heat that is produced there. I have another heatsink from an old computer I am going to trim down and make it fit because it will be much better suited to cool it. I have a spare module I will keep in the back with my tools, too.

Nope. I couldn't figure out the interface and didn't want to screw anything up by messing with it. I knew it was close enough to run and the computer worked so I just ran with it. It all added to my stress. Honestly, the stress of all this took away most of the feeling of success when it fired. I feel good that it ran but was worried the whole time I was going to overheat, break something, spew fluids, flatten a lobe, etc.
    Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
    (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
    (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
    79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
    (Cherokee Build Thread)
    11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
    09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
    00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• babywag
      out of order
      • Jun 08, 2005

If you have ? just txt or call me...I sent my # via PM
      Tony
      88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• Wagoneer Taylor
        258 I6
        • Dec 17, 2018

Yah hooo! Congrats on the engine running! Feel bad it was so stressful but still a amazing achievement!
        Some call me Taylor...

1977 Jeep Wagoneer (Wedding Wagon)
        Pewter, Blue Interior, Original 401
        PO swapped in a 360, soon to be a 401 again!
        "Soon" is a relative term.
        Cracked cylinder put a hurt on me + bad connecting rods.

Comment

• iapexl8r
          232 I6
          • Jul 06, 2018

Awesome!....... happy dance.. You will be hitting the trails soon.... don
          1976 Cherokee chief
          1970 AMC rebel THE MACHINE
          1969 AMX
          1965 mustang fastback
          1972 international travelette
          Yes I have a problem that?s why Iam here

Comment

• iapexl8r
            232 I6
            • Jul 06, 2018

Awesome!....... happy dance.. You will be hitting the trails soon.... don’t forget to let me know,
            I want to be there!
            1976 Cherokee chief
            1969 AMX
            1965 mustang fastback

Comment

• rang-a-stang
              Administrator
              • Oct 31, 2016

Didn't really "do" anything today. I did do my second 10 minute run to finish my cam off. I feel much better about it. Then I let it idle for a minute or so and I just sat and enjoyed the tone.

I am going to step away from it for a few days. I am pretty fried on it and have a ton of wiring clean up to do. I still have a few mods to do, too (like a 4 wire O2 sensor, mounting up the computer, plugging the fan into the computer, etc.). Then I'll start tuning it, put the fenders/hood back on, etc. Holy cats these TH400's drink a lot of ATF! I put 2 quarts in the converter when it was out, then poured a gallon down the fill tube, and when I checked it when as it was running, it still was not even registering on the dip stick. Geesh. I also bought another pig nose. The outer ring of chrome on mine is thrashed and it had some serious cracks. I am going to black the next one out like my first one, but it should look much better. This is my old one:

I love the idle tone. The sound is almost perfect. It'll be perfect when I have a crispier throttle response.
              (Same video, not sure which link will work better)
              Create direct permalinks for your Google Drive files - 1,107,088 links and counting...

OK, Full Size Jeeper! Get yours going because it will sound even more amazing with your higher compression ratio, better heads, and cam!
              Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
              (Cherokee Build Thread)
              00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• Full Size Jeeper
                304 AMC
                • Jul 20, 2014

Sounds BAD @SS !!!! Hope to have mine ready to run over the summer. I know it seems like a long time, but I can't believe how fast you got yours back together.
                1978 Wagoneer

401/turbo 400 trans. Quadra-Trac BW1339 (with Low) 4" Rusty's lift with 31" Summit Mud Dawgs

Mods:
                Fuel Tank, Red Holley Fuel Pump, Razor Grill (profile pic out dated), Rebuilt steering box

Comment

• Driftwood
                  350 Buick
                  • Jun 12, 2000

School me on the heat sink.
                  Is it for the stock ignition module on the inner fender or is it for Rang's aftermarket module?

Originally posted by babywag
                  COOL!
                  You MUST use a good heatsink on ignition module or it'll die.
                  1979 Wagoneer

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                    Administrator
                    • Oct 31, 2016

Originally posted by Driftwood
                    School me on the heat sink.
                    Is it for the stock ignition module on the inner fender or is it for Rang's aftermarket module?
                    Kind of neither: My ignition module is a stock GM ignition module from a 95 GM 350 TBI. So it's not the Duraspark module that used to be on my inner fender but it's also not aftermarket. The GM Ignition module gets SUPER hot. Even with my little heatsink from Fry's, it was almost burn your finger hot in just 15 minutes of running. Last night I started mounting the bigger/uglier heat sink and I should have some pictures of it up in the next couple days.
                    Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                    (Cherokee Build Thread)
                    00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                      Administrator
                      • Oct 31, 2016

Originally posted by Full Size Jeeper
                      ...I know it seems like a long time, but I can't believe how fast you got yours back together.
                      Ha! Your rig is on a whoooooole 'nother level than mine! IMHO, there are 4 levels of builds: level 1, pull the engine, replace the worn parts, machine, and put it back in (this is typically what you would get from a mechanic). Level 2: Pull the engine, clean it, mod it some (or engine swap), and put it back (this is my build, His-N-Hers Woodies builds, etc.). level 3 is take the Jeep apart and put it back together, body work, etc. (your build, JPSwapMohn's widetrack GW build) and level 4 is super rare, time consuming, etc. The only build on here I follow closely like this is Kaiserjeeps build of Sadie.

So each level takes more effort, money, and time. Doing it in your driveway/garage, I think a level 1 should take about 2 months, Level 2 should take about 6 months, level 3 takes 1-3 years, and level 4 could take well over 3 years. I don't think this summer is a long time for you to get yours running at all. I think your build is lightening speed! JPSwapMohn's is lightening speed. His-N-Hers Woodies swaps engines faster than I change spark plugs.
                      Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                      (Cherokee Build Thread)
                      00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• iapexl8r
                        232 I6
                        • Jul 06, 2018

Ok rang-a-stang.......... BREAK IS OVER we want a progress update. This rig is not going to finish itself.

Chris
                        1976 Cherokee chief
                        1969 AMX
                        1965 mustang fastback

Comment

• Wagoneer Taylor
                          258 I6
                          • Dec 17, 2018

Originally posted by iapexl8r
                          Ok rang-a-stang.......... BREAK IS OVER we want a progress update. This rig is not going to finish itself.

Chris
                          I second this!
                          Some call me Taylor...

1977 Jeep Wagoneer (Wedding Wagon)
                          Pewter, Blue Interior, Original 401
                          PO swapped in a 360, soon to be a 401 again!
                          "Soon" is a relative term.
                          Cracked cylinder put a hurt on me + bad connecting rods.

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                            Administrator
                            • Oct 31, 2016

Back in the saddle (for a short time).

Last night I cranked a little.

First, I mocked up my airfilter. I am going to do a dual snorkel so I hooked up the stock filter to see how it landed, then laid my spare on top and adjusted it to see where I wanted the second snorkel and marked it on my stocker. This will be a project for me while I am on travel next week.

Most of what I did was clean up wiring. I started on the passenger side and and cleaned all of them up/re-routed them how I wanted them over there, then started to hang my passenger fender. I say "started" because the fender, door, inner fender, and front fascia are all very mis-aligned. Pretty bad. I assume it's because the fender is a replacement from the PO and the body, door and fascia are all still jacked from being on a bent chassis. I spent about 20 mins on it, decided I was getting side tracked and went back to work on the wiring. I got the wiring fed in through the firewall, everything is tagged and ready for hooking up under the dash but it's still a little rough down there. I am happy with the routing from behind the air plenum up and over to the side where I am going to mount the computer but it's a little close to the wiper linkage. So once I have the engine bay wiring done I am going to wrap and route the computer wiring in a way that gives plenty of space for the wipers.

The engine itself has most of the wires routed the way I want them but I still need to shorten them so they are not such a mess. First 2 pictures are what I started with:

When I went to bed. It looks a lot better but has a way to go.

Here's the heat sink I broke my cam in on (WAY TOO SMALL) and the one I am going to. The black wire on the left is a temporary ground and will go away:

Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                            (Cherokee Build Thread)
                            00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• Probesport
                              232 I6
                              • Apr 15, 2015

Nice work. I love the spot when you just decide to pull all of the wiring and do it right, it looks daunting to so many people but in the end produces a fantastic result.

Did you decide to go GM or Megasquirt? Still thinking about coil packs?
                              Ken S.
                              Jeep toy: 1988 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
                              Megasquirt EFI
                              : Heated Seats : Blower fix : Driving light brackets : Shorty headers : Coil Packs : Electric Fans
                              Prior Jeeps: 1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ, 1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
                              Other toys: 1930 Model A (Hotrod), 1997 Ford Probe Turbo, 2000 Jaguar XJ8, 2005 VW Touareg

Comment

• Driftwood
                                350 Buick
                                • Jun 12, 2000

Love the double snorkel air cleaner. I saw someone do that here on the discussion board years ago. If it turned out really nice. You need to give us a right up on it.
                                1979 Wagoneer

Comment

Working...
                                X