• Show
Clear All
  • Forrest the FSJ
    232 I6
    • Feb 14, 2013

Reality

I probably need to get rid of my FSJ :'(

Background:

I'm in my 20s and live in SC. I own a grey and wood 1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer with +- 170K miles.

I'm facing a job-related relocation to TX, and for a lot of reasons, taking the Jeep down there with me just isn't feasible. First off, it had been de-smogged before I got it, and I know it wouldn't pass emissions. It also has no A/C, and Texas makes SC feel cool by comparison. The thought of driving it all the way down there is daunting, and would complicate the move, and it doesn't get the kind of mileage I would like for the distance I would have to be driving for work every day.

I love this Jeep. It has so much personality and potential. I loved it from the second I saw it sitting in the back lot of a local mechanic's shop. After I lost my first vehicle in an accident (you ran read about that here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing), I was able to use the insurance money to buy my Jeep.

I had always wanted to learn about cars and auto-mechanics, so after I bought the Jeep, I bought some tools and some books, and rolled up my sleeves. What was so special about the Jeep to me was not so much what it WAS, but rather what it could be. It was a solid, young, rust-free Jeep with a good engine and endless potential to be the over-landing SUV of my dreams.
    I learned a TON. I poured over books, talked to experts, scoured forums, and watched YouTube videos. I replaced the radiator, hoses, freeze plugs, thermostat, housing, and flushed the water jacket. I tackled the ignition system next with a new battery, starter, ignition switch, solonoid, and alternator. I fixed some wiring issues. I installed a Rino Grill, and bought pie pans and round headlights. I put new 31" Goodyear Wranger ATs on it, and bought a complete 4" BJs spring lift kit which I haven't installed yet. I also planned to replace the worn-out carburetor. I had wanted to get it reliable, and then get it painted green with new wood trim (I named it Forrest) and then then put on a safari rack and some front and rear offroading bumpers with winch and spare tire swing out. I had also wanted to add an aux. gas tank. It would have been perfect.

I don't have the time or money to finish this dream the way i want to, and Forrest still needs more work. What should I do?
  • jake250k
    232 I6
    • Jan 27, 2015

Can you afford to buy a cheap commuter car without selling the Jeep? In that case, you can always keep it as something to tinker with/Sunday drive (which it sounds like you would enjoy). A small note, only a few counties emission test in Texas and any vehicle 25 years old is exempt statewide-so you'd probably be alright on that front.
    -Jake

1987 GW, 31s, stock.
    1978 CJ5, 35s, not so stock.

Comment

• joe
      • Apr 28, 2000

Tough call. For me when I was in my 20's I had some vehicles and junk disposable furniture that wasn't worth moving and all my tools etc would fit in the vehicle. If you have enough stuff worth keeping rent a U-haul and tow the Jeep. If you don't have stuff just load the Jeep. For the trip it'll burn less fuel than a uhaul. I don't know what if any smog crap regs TX has so you wanna research the county you intend to move to. Gas if you commute is always a concern with a FSJ but gas should by national standards be somewhat reasonable at least in Southern TX. Gonna depend on the pipeline structure and tank farm grid layout but in SoTx you're likely fairly close to Cancer Alley(Houston to Mobile) where all the refineries are. Another consideration to think about is that if you later decide to get back into FSJ's, SE TX Houston to Galveston is probably the most expense place in the US for anything Jeep. Folks down there are REALLY proud of what they're selling.
      Good luck on your move.
      joe
      "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• serehill
        Gone,Never Forgotten.
        • Nov 22, 2009

Yeah

You might want to recheck the ability to pass inspection the laws are changing shortly which I believe will allow you to pass.

80 Cherokee
        360 ci 727 with
        Comp cams 270 h
        NP208
        Edlebrock performer intake
        Holley 4180
        Msd total multi spark.
        4" rusty's springs
        Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

If you can't make it better why waste your time. No use repeating the orignal mistakes. I'm to old to push it that's why.

Comment

• acct21
          327 Rambler
          • May 20, 2014

In Texas there is no smog check/emissions on vehicles older than 24 years old. This year that includes 1990 model year Grand Wagoneers.

I just had my 1990 inspected in one of the 'smog counties,' and they didn't even open the hood.
          1990 Grand Wagoneer with HD towing package -- everything works! (for now...)

Comment

• Forrest the FSJ
            232 I6
            • Feb 14, 2013

Thanks for the replies, guys. Sounds like my info was wrong and I was un-duly worried about emissions testing.

Whatever the case, I'm starting off on my own for the first time, and I honestly don't know if I can afford to keep it. (Do the expenses ever end?) :P I'm starting to wonder if Jeep really does mean "Just Empty Every Pocket".

As it is, it is not a reliable DD, and it will be a challenge to consolidate funds to acquire a reliable DD between now and when I move. It really isn't even remotely practical for me right now, and I'd like to start focusing more on moving in the direction of house/wife/kids, which is hard to do with hole in the ground into which you pour money. I don't make enough or have enough time for a project vehicle right now.

On the other hand, I think I will always regret it if I get rid of it. They certainly won't get any easier to find...

Comment

• will e
              Always Broke
              • Nov 16, 2001

Facts are Facts. These Jeeps are not the list of economical cars to own.

That said I held onto my second car (purchased at 20 years of age) and still have it.

It's probably time to get out the calculator and take a look at how many miles you will drive, the cost of gas (in the future) and repairs.

What can you replace it with? There will be future deals and you might be in a better situation to own one of these money pits.
              82 Cherokee WT ? SFwith Alcan/agr box/Borgeson shaft/ 401/performer/Holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS(2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave,Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37/Corbeau Moab Seats /Hella/tuffy console/sliders/custombumpers&roll bar/WARN 8000/steering brace/CO2 Tank/dual batts/custom TCskid plate

Comment

• Tripwire
                AMC 4 OH! 1
                • Jul 30, 2000

the AC can be fixed easy peasy.

it depends how much you are really in love with it, yes its a money bucket ( for a while) so you replace a radiator one month, a starter the next, a water pump the next, a fuel pump the next.....who cares? its still WAY cheaper than car payments and the inflated insurance required

i have two rigs 86+88 they are very reliable and i have not made a car payment in 20 years ( that buys alot of beer and pizza)

eventually you will have replaced all the weak spots and have a reliable car and if you check all over once in a while and take care of stuff before it gets to far gone it wont be such a pita...
                Abort? Retry? Ignore? >

86 GrandWag. Howell fuel Injected 360. MSD Ignition + Dizzy. 727/229 swap BJ's 2" Lift and 31's

88 Wrangler 4.2, Howell TBI and MSD - Borla Headers w/ Cat-back + winch and 31's AND a M416 trailer (-:

Comment

• Tripwire
                  AMC 4 OH! 1
                  • Jul 30, 2000

forgot....that being said I may have more disposable income than you at the moment and I have a reasonably dependable backup car so i dont worry about not being able to get to work

Its kinda a two different worlds thing.........

steve
                  Abort? Retry? Ignore? >

86 GrandWag. Howell fuel Injected 360. MSD Ignition + Dizzy. 727/229 swap BJ's 2" Lift and 31's

88 Wrangler 4.2, Howell TBI and MSD - Borla Headers w/ Cat-back + winch and 31's AND a M416 trailer (-:

Comment

• Tinkerjeep
                    Banned
                    • Mar 01, 2009

Jeep versus Family...if you can't afford the Jeep, you DEFINITELY CANNOT AFFORD A WIFE! AND KIDS!

Even with monthly maintenance, driving a Jeep will be cheaper than buying any new car. The only part of your monthly budget where a new car might save you money is on the fuel. If you buy used commuter car, be prepared to save up for when it needs expensive parts. With today's lower gas prices, its never been more affordable to drive a Jeep. Not so sure that will last though. And proximity to refineries does not always = Cheap gas. Especially when the workers are on strike! Or the local cost of living is high and the gas-station owners decide they need to keep their prices high to pay themselves more profit.

I don't KNOW where in TX you are moving, but I had a buddy that moved from WY to Houston for a year...he said for the commute and the pay he was getting, he was lucky to pay rent every month. He's since moved back here and the pay versus expenses is a more tolerable level.

Try to find someone here that lives where you will be moving and talk things over.

Comment

• jamesdart
                      258 I6
                      • Jan 05, 2013

its just a car. you can always buy another one later on.
                      1978 wagoneer, jasper 360 performer intake holley 600,700r4, twinstick dana 300, dana 44s with 4.10s and Yukon zip locker, York oba, 4" rusty's spring lift, 33x10.50 km2, ramsey ford front bumper with worm drive ramsey winch, 4" pipe air tank rear bumper with spare tire swing out.

Comment

• jeepguzzi
                        AMC 4 OH! 1
                        • Oct 21, 2000

From what I have seen, there are a decent number of them already in Texas, so if you need to re acquire one when you can, you should be able to. Good luck!
                        79Cherokee Chief<br />4\" BDS Lift<br />Custom Bumper <br />33\"x 11.5\" x 15\" BFG All-Terrains"<br /> T.H. 400 B.W.1339 Quadra Trac <br />Mile marker 16% O.D.part time kit<br />360c.i. Edelbrock pkg.<br />MSD ign. & coil <br/>Bored .030 over<br />Tri-Y headers<br />stainless steel exhaust<br />mustang seats<br />Holley 4bbl

Comment

• BKW
                          230 Tornado
                          • Jan 30, 2015

where in SC are you? What city/town? I have a 1990 and live in Charleston.
                          BKW

Comment

• Forrest the FSJ
                            232 I6
                            • Feb 14, 2013

BKW, I'm outside of Florence, SC and headed to San Antonio this Summer.

Thanks for all the advice and for helping me think this through, guys. It's one of the hardest decisions I've ever had to make.

I'm going to go ahead and get rid of it.

I'll post it up for sale here and give you guys first dibs.

Comment

• Jeepfisher
                              232 I6
                              • Oct 13, 2012

Another Thought

You might want to look at prices of FSJs in Texas vs where you live. If you can sell it for 1200 more in Tejas, that might offset the cost of moving it there and therefore basically be able to pay for moving it there when you do sell. I have an 81 (which didn't need smog test when I lived in TX) scrambler that I have threatened to sell on several occasions and I am so glad I didn't. It is paid for and we can get permanent plates in MT so It is basically just a toy.

Once life settles you down, and you are living on a culdesac street with the neighbors buddies coming over for dinner, what better thing to do than back the waggy out and wrench on it.
                              Jeepfisher
                              2014 Jeep JK
                              1990 Jeep GW (Darwood)
                              1981 CJ8 Scrambler

Comment

Working...
                              X