• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • damaya
    232 I6
    • Nov 14, 2006

jeep wont turn off

Jeep would not turn off, I think i need a new ignition cylinder. Is there a way i can turn off my jeep(its an 86 gw) untill I get a new cylinder?
    Thanks
    David
  • Tripwire
    AMC 4 OH! 1
    • Jul 30, 2000

The cylinder has nothing to do with it, it controls a switch near the base of the steering column

Put a glove on and yank the coil wire off to kill the beast

I'd say there is a good chance your alternator is funky and its feeding back thru the wires

Once the engine is dead, remove the alternator wires start the engine and see if the problem persists....if so it could be the switch at the base of the column....have fun with that one, its tricky to get just right

Can't think of anything else of the top of my head.
    Abort? Retry? Ignore? >

86 GrandWag. Howell fuel Injected 360. MSD Ignition + Dizzy. 727/229 swap BJ's 2" Lift and 31's

88 Wrangler 4.2, Howell TBI and MSD - Borla Headers w/ Cat-back + winch and 31's AND a M416 trailer (-:

Comment

• damaya
      232 I6
      • Nov 14, 2006

Ya I pulled the coil wire to turn it off. Where is the turn off switch? Do I need to pull the steering colum or wheel to get to it?

Comment

• Tripwire
        AMC 4 OH! 1
        • Jul 30, 2000

At the base of the column near the floor on the side of the steering column, it's a whole lot of no fun... Be sure to do as I suggested or your gonna be P.O
        Abort? Retry? Ignore? >

86 GrandWag. Howell fuel Injected 360. MSD Ignition + Dizzy. 727/229 swap BJ's 2" Lift and 31's

88 Wrangler 4.2, Howell TBI and MSD - Borla Headers w/ Cat-back + winch and 31's AND a M416 trailer (-:

Comment

• smacaroni
          258 I6
          • May 04, 2011

If you're looking at a situation where someone will die if you don't turn the motor off, yank the coil wire. Otherwise, stuff a rag in the intake, it'll choke the engine and you won't get shocked. If you have a mechanical choke and the motor is warm, pull the choke, that'll make it too rich to idle.
          1982 Wagoneer LTD, Slushbox, I6 w/ 4.0 head, Explorer rear spring, 4.0 timing set/cover and backwards fuel gauge. How many gallons per mile do you make?
          Proper grammar dictates the question is "may I borrow your BFH?" To which I answer "yes, you may, no take the bigger one, you'll need it".

Comment

• serehill
            Gone,Never Forgotten.
            • Nov 22, 2009

yeppers

There's a large plug on the ignition switch with about 20 wires on it attached to the steering column. Remove the plug & then remove the two screws holding the switch on the column. I believe the bolts are 5 /16ths. there's a bolt towards each end of the switch. Then you'll have to remove the rod that goes to the ignition key be pateint it's not a big deal. You can take the steering column loose 4 bolts & drop it to help access. It goes back in the opposite of the removal instructions.
            Disconnect the battery before you do any of this.

I don't know what kind of magic could cause the alternator to do this. That's a new one to me.

To kill it just take a screwdriver & short the negative side of the coil to ground. easy safe
            Last edited by serehill; 12-31-2012, 04:54 PM.

80 Cherokee
            360 ci 727 with
            Comp cams 270 h
            NP208
            Edlebrock performer intake
            Holley 4180
            Msd total multi spark.
            4" rusty's springs
            Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

If you can't make it better why waste your time. No use repeating the orignal mistakes. I'm to old to push it that's why.

Comment

• Rich88
              AMC 4 OH! 1
              • Nov 20, 2008

Originally posted by serehill
              To kill it just take a screwdriver & short the negative side of the coil to ground. easy safe
              ...or pull the plug at the ignition module on the drivers' side fender well.
              Jeepasaurus (Wagonus Grandi quadropedus)
              88 GW 360-.030 over/2150/727/229/Posi, e-pump, AC (broke), tow package, Monroe Air Shocks, TFI, CTO-Free, AIR-free, oil & tranny coolers, dried knuckle blood all over, GM 350 TBI in a box, waiting...
              "You're an FSJ'r when the parts guys memorize your name, phone & credit card#."

Comment

• jeepguzzi
                AMC 4 OH! 1
                • Oct 21, 2000

I had this happen to mine. I replaced the solenoid, starter and switch on the column. The problem persisted until I replaced the solenoid with an old used spare I had lying around. I only started it a couple of times since, but so far so good!
                79Cherokee Chief<br />4\" BDS Lift<br />Custom Bumper <br />33\"x 11.5\" x 15\" BFG All-Terrains"<br /> T.H. 400 B.W.1339 Quadra Trac <br />Mile marker 16% O.D.part time kit<br />360c.i. Edelbrock pkg.<br />MSD ign. & coil <br/>Bored .030 over<br />Tri-Y headers<br />stainless steel exhaust<br />mustang seats<br />Holley 4bbl

Comment

Working...
                X