• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Firegoose
    258 I6
    • May 19, 2005

74 rear post mount lift

I am in the process of lifting my 74 J20 in the rear to match the front SOA (7"). I have re-engineered a spring hanger bracket from a ford to do away with the front post mount on the rear. I have a set of J-10 rear springs that I was wanting to use and the reason I was wanting to use them is because they are the same length and center as my old post mount springs.

My problem is this I marked the center of the axle on the frame before I removed the post mount and original springs, once I flipped the rear shackle(@90 degrees) and temporarily installed the front spring holder the center of the axle is 1.063" toward the rear.

My question is this. Do I need new springs to do this "shackle" flip? I sort of remember someting about chevy 52" springs ...I think. If I do need a new set of springs does anyone know the dimensions? I have a local spring shop here that can do almost anyting.

Also my Jeep is only a bare frame at the moment and I was curious as to the degree my rear shackle should be at? Due to there being basicly no weight on the Jeep. Would 90 degrees be acceptable ?
    Jason

74 J-20
    under construction
    400TH
    dana 20
    dana 44hd/60
    35x12.5x17 MTRadialClaws 17x10
    TFI Upgrade
  • Stuka
    • Jan 21, 2001

You dont need new spring, but when you change the shackle, the spring geometry changes. The front mount should have been moved straight down to its new location, and the rear mount should have been moved about 1.75" forward.

EDIT: Oh yeah, the 52" springs are for 75 and older wags, cheros, and short bed j-trucks. Long beds like you have use a longer spring, closer to 57" as I recall.

[ March 05, 2006, 03:09 PM: Message edited by: Stuka ]

Comment

• Elliott
      Cowboy Up
      • Jun 22, 2002

There are two reasons you don't want the rear shackle at a 90* angle, it will give a harsher ride and it could possibly flip forward on articulation and cause the spring to bind.
      *** I am collecting pics and info on any factory Jeep Dually trucks from the J-Series at the new Jeep Dually Registry.
      ***I can set you up with hydroboost for your brakes: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=106056

Comment

• Stuka
        • Jan 21, 2001

I have never seen/had a spring flip forward because the shackle is facing straight down. But it will make for a slightly harsher ride.

Comment

• Firegoose
          258 I6
          • May 19, 2005

Originally posted by Stuka:
          You dont need new spring, but when you change the shackle, the spring geometry changes. The front mount should have been moved straight down to its new location, and the rear mount should have been moved about 1.75" forward.
          I had planned on moving the front hanger straight down but I didnt think about the rear hanger.... So moving the rear hanger 1.75" forward will do the job. What will the shackle angle be once I move the rear hanger forward ? Or what should it be (bare frame only)?

Another question, would it be simpler to just move the spring or a new spring underneath the frame ? I think Crazy has his that way.
          Jason

74 J-20
          under construction
          400TH
          dana 20
          dana 44hd/60
          TFI Upgrade

Comment

• Firegoose
            258 I6
            • May 19, 2005

Pics for whatever reason...

After all the fab is done it does get POR-15

[ March 05, 2006, 04:52 PM: Message edited by: Firegoose ]
            Jason

74 J-20
            under construction
            400TH
            dana 20
            dana 44hd/60
            TFI Upgrade

Comment

• Elliott
              Cowboy Up
              • Jun 22, 2002

My hangers are partially under the frame:

*** I am collecting pics and info on any factory Jeep Dually trucks from the J-Series at the new Jeep Dually Registry.
              ***I can set you up with hydroboost for your brakes: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=106056

Comment

• Elliott
                Cowboy Up
                • Jun 22, 2002

With your shackle hanging like that and no weight on it it should be fine under load I would think.

BTW, what is the GVWR on that J20?

[ March 05, 2006, 05:25 PM: Message edited by: Elliott ]

Comment

• Firegoose
                  258 I6
                  • May 19, 2005

6500#

Elliott, when you moved your spring hangers did you have to relocate your axle perches ?
                  Jason

74 J-20
                  under construction
                  400TH
                  dana 20
                  dana 44hd/60
                  TFI Upgrade

Comment

• Tad
                    • Nov 30, 2001

Jason,
                    I am sure Elliot had to move his rear perches for that.
                    Or his axle is not stock (I do not remember).
                    2000 Infinity QX4, 3.3L, MPFI, 4 speed auto, 2 speed Nissan tcase, Unibody, IFS front, 4 link rear solid axle with 255-70/16s

IFSJA WMS PROJECT
                    EARLY WAG LIFT SEARCH

...Pay no attention to these heathen barbarians with their cutting torches and 8" lift kits!...
                    Self Inflicted Flesh Wound

Comment

• Elliott
                      Cowboy Up
                      • Jun 22, 2002

Yeah, the perches had to be moved anyway, I have a 14 bolt in there and needed a lil more room for the spring mount plate to clear the drum backing plates so I'm inboarded 3/4".

[ March 05, 2006, 06:04 PM: Message edited by: Elliott ]

Comment

Working...
                      X