1990 Grand Wagoneer - Ballpark what's it worth?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KiwiWagoneer
    232 I6
    • Jul 23, 2016

1990 Grand Wagoneer - Ballpark what's it worth?

Hi there,

I'm looking at buying the last car I will ever buy.
    My 2 year old son will inherit this.

Need your advice on what to offer for it, considering the following:
    (Bear in mind any savings on purchase price will go into restoring it)

So, it's a 1990 GW, 115,000miles = list price is approx $22,000USD

Cordovan interior - worn front seats and steering wheel / fittings, rest of interior ok condition.

Chrome all over is a bit pitted and rusty, some scrapes, not great to be honest.

A few spots of rust on the roof and around the rear side windows, few little dents, but no serious dings, one big crack in the roof panel by the rear window

Small amounts of leaks from engine, steering, diff and transfer cases, nothing huge, and surface corrosion under body is quite minor.

Main issue is that someone did a terrible job re-painting it. Was Burgundy, they've painted it black, seems like by just spraying 1 super thick coat all over the non-prepped surface, it's peeling and has water damage / paint drips all over the show. Every panel will need to be stripped and done properly.

What should I offer, considering this condition? I'm in New Zealand, and this car is local, so I'm saving on getting it shipped over / complied locally, but the current price feels too high to be reasonable.

Thanks for your advice. Really looking forward to restoring this to the best of my ability, over many years and weekends.
  • Strode
    1st Chair, Cowbell
    • Nov 08, 2011

It sounds crazy over-priced.

How much is shipping and getting one certified to import?
    Brad
    (*Allowed to post while failed 'I am not a Bot' test results are under appeal)

My build thread: 1982 Cherokee Laredo

Ristow's Bunker

Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

Comment

• babywag
      out of order
      • Jun 08, 2005

From the description I would run, far far away from that one.
      Tony
      88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• medinajim2000
        350 Buick
        • Oct 28, 2005

115,000 miles isn't bad normally, but the condition you're describing seems pretty bad for the mileage.

What you'll spend on repairs depends on how far you want to take it. Body work is a big deal. To correct someone else's crap paint job (what were they trying to hide????) will be expensive. I just spent $5,000 on a repaint with minimal ding repair; zero rust. Didn't include any trim removal or woodgrain. And what's up with the roof panel crack by the rear window? When they changed color, did they do door jambs, interior and engine bay?

Is the more rust under the car on the frame?

Seat upholstery can be expensive also if you want it to be original looking.

Chrome replacement pieces will be a scavenger hunt. As will a lot of other parts.

Personally I wouldn't do anywhere close to $22,000 by your description. I like to make mine as close to perfect as I can get, and almost always go over budget.

PS: I've got a really nice, 1990 White with Cordovan with around 60,000 miles. Rust free and much better condition if you're interested, PM me.
        Last edited by medinajim2000; 09-06-2016, 01:59 PM.
        https://www.facebook.com/ClassicGrandWagoneers/

87 GW (White) - Incoming
        89 GW (Black Cherry) - In Resto
        85 GW (Gold) - In Resto
        86 GW (Garnet) - In Resto
        84 GW (Bronze) - In Resto
        89 GW (Gray) - (Gone)
        89 GW (Gray)(Gone)
        87 GW (White)(Gone)
        86 GW (Blue)(Gone)
        88 GW (Gray)(Gone)
        89 GW (Gold)(Gone)
        89 GW (Gray)(Gone)
        75 Cherokee S (Blue)(Gone)

Comment

• joe
          • Apr 28, 2000

$22,000 USD is ridiculous for what you described. These are NOT collector value cars. There just isn't the market demand to get crazy prices. Since your quoting in USD I'm guessing your shopping in the USA and importing to NZ? If so shop in western US only. No road salt rust damage unless it's been playing on the beach. In my part of the country a decent stock late era 87-91 goes for around $4,000. Yeah you see folks asking $7-$8,000 but big difference between asking price and actual selling price. Don't know about NZ but here in the states I wouldn't count on your 2 year old driving it 14 years from now. Here in 14 years FSJ's will likely be banned/taxed off the roads or required to be run on pomegranate juice or some other silly expensive fake fuel. Nice station wagons the 90's but a seriously bad long term investment. Though I do believe in paying a bit more for a good condition one over buying a cheap ratty one and fixing it up. Keep doing your homework but for 20 grand it should be in showroom condition. All said and done "it's worth what you're willing to pay for it." Best of luck.
          joe
          "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• JDD
            232 I6
            • Oct 01, 2011

This looks like a better deal.

Comment

• medinajim2000
              350 Buick
              • Oct 28, 2005

I thought he sold that one.
              https://www.facebook.com/ClassicGrandWagoneers/

87 GW (White) - Incoming
              89 GW (Black Cherry) - In Resto
              85 GW (Gold) - In Resto
              86 GW (Garnet) - In Resto
              84 GW (Bronze) - In Resto
              89 GW (Gray) - (Gone)
              89 GW (Gray)(Gone)
              87 GW (White)(Gone)
              86 GW (Blue)(Gone)
              88 GW (Gray)(Gone)
              89 GW (Gold)(Gone)
              89 GW (Gray)(Gone)
              75 Cherokee S (Blue)(Gone)

Comment

• KiwiWagoneer
                232 I6
                • Jul 23, 2016

Thanks for the advice

Spoke to the owner, not the dealer - he's seeing the jeep with rose tinted glasses, and still carrying the cost of importing it with him, so I can understand why he wants a high price.

The pain in living so far from the states is the shipping / compliance, all said and done, it could sting you for 10K, if it all went pear-shaped with the 'unexpected' overages. So having one landed and complied already is many less headaches.

Will mull it over and hopefully decide / discount before anyone else takes it.

Much appreciated,
                J.

Comment

• joe
                  • Apr 28, 2000

Just a thought. Why not look for one in OZ? Wags built there were all badged Cherokees but import/shipping costs would be ALOT less. Plus the steering wheel would be on the correct side for your roads.
                  joe

Comment

• KiwiWagoneer
                    232 I6
                    • Jul 23, 2016

Its a good thought

I've recently checked out a Jeep in Melbourne (which happened to be more rust than car, carefully framed out of every photo...) - Shipping is considerably cheaper, however the 2nd hand market in AU commands very high prices, which make it not worth the shipping savings.

Comment

• joe
                      • Apr 28, 2000

Yeah you don't want a rust bucket. "Properly done" rust repair/body work is ridiculously expensive here in the states. Suspect it's the same there?
                      The left/right drive thing concerns me though. You ever driven a left hand drive car on a left hand drive road? I've run right drive Brit Land Rovers, Austin Healeys and US mail Jeeps on US right side roads. Gets pretty exciting blindly sticking most of the vehicle out into the oncoming traffic lane to see if you have room to pass a truck. Don't think I'd want to put that scenario on a brand new licensed inexperienced 16 year old kid. Just something to consider buying local-vs- importing.

edited: for the left/right thing.
                      Last edited by joe; 09-09-2016, 12:52 PM.
                      joe

Comment

Working...
                      X