X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rocklaurence

• Jan 14, 2009

LP/Propane vs Diesel?

OK, I got to Cyphering and I believe that converting to diesel is still cheaper than going to propane. My numbers put gas in a FSJ @ $.38 per mile, LP @ $.28 per mile and diesel @ $.23 per mile. This is taking into account my J20 getting 10 mpg on gas, 9 mpg on LP and 18 mpg on diesel. What do you guys think or have considered?
  • budojeepr
    350 Buick
    • Feb 02, 2006

I like your numbers...I always worried about LP availability on long Or outback trips.
    Don't be yourself. Be someone a little nicer. -Mignon McLaughlin, journalist and author (1913-1983)

Comment

• Resbum
      327 Rambler
      • Jun 16, 2010

Your numbers look good to me. For awhile I considered running the Buick 350 that came in my truck on LP. Along with some other unique querks about running LP budojeepr brings up a good point. From what I researched, it's not just availability, but also finding placing that pump hi pressure. Apparently, a lot of the normal backyard BBQ type filling systems either don't have enough umph to do it or would do it extremely slow. I don't know this from first had experience, but that's my perception from what others have said.
      Last edited by Resbum; 09-28-2012, 07:37 AM.
      Originally posted by Resbum
      "What year is my truck?... Which part?" Build thread- http://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/view...p=18290#p18290

Comment

• rocklaurence

• Jan 14, 2009

How much is Propane/Lp per gallon in your area? I guestimated $2.50 here in Fl.

Comment

• Resbum
          327 Rambler
          • Jun 16, 2010

That's what I pay for my 5th wheel supply.
          Originally posted by Resbum
          "What year is my truck?... Which part?" Build thread- http://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/view...p=18290#p18290

Comment

Originally posted by rocklaurence
            How much is Propane/Lp per gallon in your area? I guestimated $2.50 here in Fl.
            Same in the non-rip off places here in Seattle. Almost 20 mpg on my last 6 cyl with LPG. $0.125 per mile and my conversion kit (used) was $200 with tanks.
            Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental.

Comment

• junkr
              232 I6
              • Jun 28, 2012

I have an old IMPCO unit in storage (think garage floor under workbench) that I always wanted to play with.It came on a carbuerated (sp) 454 dually I bought for the big block like 20 yrs ago.
              1968 M715,4bt/46rh/205 with KP60/14HP going in any day 1980 j10 short box 1998XJ

Comment

• rocklaurence

• Jan 14, 2009

Originally posted by Carnuck
                Same in the non-rip off places here in Seattle. Almost 20 mpg on my last 6 cyl with LPG. $0.125 per mile and my conversion kit (used) was $200 with tanks.
                That is really good milage from a 6 cylinder. Is that your best when driving down hill with the wind at your back or is that your routine combined milage? Most of us average 16 mpg combined city/highway with an electronic injected motor. So, 20mpg on LP is great.

Comment

Routinely with T5 before it blew up. AW4 is going in with 4.0L and NP208 as soon as I'm able again. I got John Meister's J10 with 258 and T5 up to 17 with his lead foot. I just happen to know how to dial in Carter BBDs.
                  Spirit of the Eagle (my '82 Spirit converted to Eagle running AW4 and another Carter I overhauled) is doing 25 mpg highway loaded. It just went to AZ and back with minimal probs (other than carb icing)
                  Last edited by Carnuck; 10-02-2012, 08:31 PM.
                  Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental.

Comment

• nc wagoneer
                    350 Buick
                    • May 08, 2012

Originally posted by rocklaurence
                    OK, I got to Cyphering and I believe that converting to diesel is still cheaper than going to propane. My numbers put gas in a FSJ @ $.38 per mile, LP @ $.28 per mile and diesel @ $.23 per mile. This is taking into account my J20 getting 10 mpg on gas, 9 mpg on LP and 18 mpg on diesel. What do you guys think or have considered?
                    I'm dealing with the same question. 18 mpg with a diesel, what did you plan on swapping in???
                    old blue-79 jeep wagoneer 360 Quadra Trac (soon to be for sale )
                    Name TBA: 77 j20 D60/d44 360/t15 with flatbed (new toy)
                    "BROWED AND PROUD"
                    Originally posted by fulsizjeep
                    Truth is FSJs are crack on wheels. One taste and you are addicted. Then you just want more. Anyone who does not see this is in denial.

Comment

Working...
                    X