• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dukeraul84
    230 Tornado
    • Apr 01, 2011

cummins conversion thoughts

I was planning a truck, but I think a grand wagoneer would suit me better in the long run. (And I've thought, can't get the idea out the head)

I already have a donor D200 diesel/auto, so I figure I could use frame, rear axle, gearbox, and maybe some throttle linkage shtuff, and sell the rest. (It's actually in pretty good shape). I have an 89 f350 front to use, 7" wider than the waggy, thought maybe I could shorten the passenger side if nec, and run 78-79 length shaft over there, if those two inches would be enough.

Enough rambling though, I have seen some intercooled 6bt's in wagoneers, but I haven't seen any 6 speeds behind them. I already have a zf6/np271 adapter and clutch. Will this be too long?

Also I was hoping to run coils/4 link up front.

Tell me of all the problems you can think of. I like the dodge, but getting ready to start a family(after build), so it would be nice if my vehicle were family trip worthy, don't really need a truck,I love the wagoneers, and there's a cherry one in the area that doesn't run.

I'm tired of collecting parts, (2yrs now) ready to start building, but don't wanna get balls deep and realize my powertrain is just too long, lol. I roughly measured intercooler to bellhousing on my truck, called my dad on way to look @ wagoneer and had him measure tranny/tcase, added them up and laid under waggy with tape. Seems like an awefully short driveshaft back there, though it looked as if (top view) I could move the 6bt forward some... idk. That's why I'm asking
  • tndonor
    258 I6
    • Apr 05, 2006

That is quite an ambitious project and vehicle you are wanting to assemble. I dont say that in a mean or sarcastic way. Most anything is possible with time, know how, and $$$$$$$$$$.

I cant speak to everything in your thread but there are a few areas of concern I would address before tearing into this build.

1. Axle. Have you ever shortened an axle? Its not impossible but take a good deal of measuring several times. A misaligned weld or mismeasurement will grow and cause alignment issues that will never be able to be corrected. Without knowing your welding/fabrication skills, etc it is tough to say yeah do it. There are so many years and various widths of D60s out there. If it were me, If look at finding a stock unit closer to the width you desire. Cutting and reworking an axle tube is a lot of work for 2 inches IMHO. Look at axle and wheel backspacing combos that require no heavy mods.

2. Engine placement. In general, the further back you can mount it the better you are (its not like there is a lot of length to chose from in these FSJs). This helps with overall weight distribution. The other consideration is the further you move it forward, the harder it will be to get the intercooling pipes, fan, etc to be able to work together. Move it too far forward and you may have to drop the radiator to change the fan belt . Just kidding on the last part, well maybe.

There are several rigs close to what you are wanting to do. Id suggest getting reference points and measure, measure, measure. It will never come out on paper 100% but get you a lot closer that going off of nothing.

Good luck in your quest for a Jeep with the big C under the hood.
    1980 J10 4BTA (p pumped) NV4500, d300, np205. Dana 60s Sold and parted out
    1967 M715 Cummins 6B p7100
    HX35/HT3B compound turbos. NV4500. 203/205 Doubler. 14B FF 4.56 Detroit/ HP60 4.56 OX

Comment

• grimgaunt
      350 Buick
      • Aug 06, 2002

I know nothing about suspensions (other than adding lift springs) but the Cummins swap is easy.

I would suggest the following combo - Cummins, Ford adapter, ZF-5 speed and a 208 with a Ford input gear in it.
      Length is ok and fits well. Run an electric pusher fan and that'll gain you room up front with minimal hacking of the firewall.

I re-read your post and saw the bit about the ZF6. I have never messed with a ford 6-speed and dont know their length so cannot comment, however the Ford t-case (the old aluminium 1356's are too wide to fit between the waggie frame rails. Hence my suggestion about the 208 w/input gear swap
      Last edited by grimgaunt; 11-01-2011, 11:14 AM.

Comment

• dukeraul84
        230 Tornado
        • Apr 01, 2011

Ambitious, yes, I would say something like that... I've been a welder for the past eight years, and I'm moving over to the machining side here in a couple weeks. The guy I worked with (in the same cell) for 4 years has an 06 dodge 3500 srw, and he swapped in a 89 f350 axle, and 4 linked it. 12" travel on 37's. That's kinda where I got my creativity from, I'm just as good as he is at work, why can't I do that?

I don't like how new vehicles have gotten so a guy can hardly work on it, so y not make a conglomeration of what I want? It's kind of became an addiction trying to find out which is the best, most reliable, easiest to incorporate system for whatever part of the build I'm currently rethinking, so that hopefully I have as few of those types of situations as possible, although I know it's inevitable. I have been thinking changing and refining, and rethinking the build idea, for a solid 3 years now.

I was set on an nv4500 for a long time, as of right now I have the zf6, nv271. The zf6 is long, I'll have to go remeasure. I picked it because it had the best OD ratio and it put me @ about 1700 @ 70 with 35's. The grand wagoneer idea wasn't in the picture @ that point in time. I do kinda like the idea of the nv271 now that I've read everything about it, own it, and never operated it before. I like zf6 too. lol

As far as the shortening of the axle rambling I made, that's a demonstration of the addictive thought pattern I described above.

I think I'm going to do both, waggy will be the beauty queen, truck will be beast. I think the 92 motor would be fine just the way it sits in a waggy, power wise, but I hate the a518 that's attached to that motor, not efficient, and I just don't like auto's, at least none that I've used. I'm a motorcycle guy, I like direct input. I sometimes entertain the idea of a 47rh in it, so the ol lady can drive it, but she's not turning out to be much of a "team" player, so idk why I would plan the vehicles I plan on building and maintaining for the rest of my lifetime around her is becoming negligible.

If I won the lottery, I would still do a grand wagoneer, get some high 9's front and rear just for weight reduction, and I think the 9" can handle it. I would finish projects like the build below. NOTE: HRDROKN is pretty darn impressive, I'm not thinking I can jump out the box and do that, like that.

If you haven't seen this http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/mi...ab-roller.html check out the link to the build in his sig. The guy I work with saw it, and said that as he read it, all he kept thinking, was that, that is exactly what I(as in me the writer) would do if I(again) had the moohlah. I don't think I'll be getting that crazy, and I don't anticipate I'll have the patience @ first, but over time, as my tool collection grows, and the shop @ my dads becomes more organized I foresee some magic happening.

Comment

• The PIG Smith
          King Browless

• Nov 30, 2001

Originally posted by dukeraul84
          Ambitious, yes, I would say something like that... I've been a welder for the past eight years, and I'm moving over to the machining side here in a couple weeks. The guy I worked with (in the same cell) for 4 years has an 06 dodge 3500 srw, and he swapped in a 89 f350 axle, and 4 linked it. 12" travel on 37's. That's kinda where I got my creativity from, I'm just as good as he is at work, why can't I do that?
          I would finish projects like the build below. NOTE: HRDROKN is pretty darn impressive, I'm not thinking I can jump out the box and do that, like that.

If you haven't seen this http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/mi...ab-roller.html check out the link to the build in his sig. The guy I work with saw it, and said that as he read it, all he kept thinking, was that, that is exactly what I(as in me the writer) would do if I(again) had the moohlah. I don't think I'll be getting that crazy, and I don't anticipate I'll have the patience @ first, but over time, as my tool collection grows, and the shop @ my dads becomes more organized I foresee some magic happening.
          If you have the same skill level and ability, access to all the resources that the owner of that 1969 Ford F-? Crewcab (HRDROKN), then by all means, lead the way!
          Please document and photograph each step of your project, so we may learn and get ideas for our own projects.

I am a member of the Cummins Forum and have followed HRDROKN's build.
          I will freely admit, I am blown totally away with attention to detail this fellow has given to his project.
          I am sad to read where he is selling the rolling chassis for $10K
          A real bargain for someone.

If I won the lottery, I would still do a grand wagoneer, get some high 9's front and rear just for weight reduction, and I think the 9" can handle it.
          I disagree with some of your statement. (or I do not understand what you are saying)
          Will a high pinion 9" handle the power...Yes, I think you are correct.
          However the use a Dana 60 front axle under a Cummins 6BT is not so much to handle power or large wheels and tires,
          it's that the housing and axle tubes that are designed to carry weight.
          Even the lowly D44HD (heavy duty) found in the front of a 3/4" trucks (like our J20's) are about carrying weight.

I do not know much about custom built axles expect for what I see on TV and in magazines, so I dunno about their ability to carry the weight of a 6BT and perform well in heavy duty service.

If a winning Lottery ticket is in your hand, so that $$$ was no object and you spent big dollars on a custom high pinion 9"; then I am sure a strong a housing and thick tubes are not an issue.
          Bryan Smith
          2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
          - 75th Anniversary Edition - 1941 Trim Package - Recon Green
          1986 Jeep J20
          - Super clean rig from the AZ/CA state line
          1982 Jeep J10
          - Has become a Long Term Project.
          1981 Jeep J20
          - Commercial flat bed - Lost in a Divorce --gone
          1987 Jeep J20 Pioneer
          - Former Rick Bielec aka Ricbee plow rig. Major rust!! --gone

IFSJA Member #1933 Joined November 30, 2001

Originally posted by Jayrodoh
          ...but if it works, I wouldn't touch it.
          Originally posted by Lindel
          Best laid plans, yada yada yada...

Comment

Working...
          X