• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gambler68
    Rabble Rouser
    • Feb 29, 2004

Originally posted by KaiserMan
    I'd say return it. Sounds like it's all pretty messed up.

You see the write up J10MIke did on his dics? I don't recall him having issues.

I'd try for my money back and get the same kit he did.

I'm too pissed to deal with returning it. I can use the brake hardware for the front.

I did just realize that I'd been putting the spacer inbetween the flange and the bracket, where it must actually be a spacer for the hub to press against. But I'm not sure the calipers will line up even. I'm going to give it another look before making a final call on it.

I was very clear what I had when ordering, that's all I can say right now.
    1979 Chero S "Sundog" 1979 Chero S "Hammer"
    1968 327 J3000 1978 J10SWB
    The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
    Hunter S. Thompson .

Comment

• v10sport
      258 I6
      • Mar 23, 2004

Spacer goes on, then bracket.
      77 J20
      09 Rubicon Unlimited
      10 Challenger SRT 8 6 Speed
      11 Grand Cherokee Overland

Wisconsin Speed and Performance

Comment

• Gambler68
        Rabble Rouser
        • Feb 29, 2004

Originally posted by v10sport
        Spacer goes on, then bracket.

not on mine :/ Did just try swapping to the outside, that would just raise the bolt heads out and into the hub. I had to grind the heads as it was so they didn't ride on the hub face.

Now, on yours, you have a 77 J20 rear..had the thick drums. Mine has/had narrow stake on drums (like..12x2 drums). I am thinking that's why the brackets on my year D60 FF have to be on the inside like these:

http://www.blackbirdscustomtrucks.com/index16.html (top of page)

What I'm (to say nicely) starting to get angry about is I was extremely clear on what I had, and was told the Chevy kit he sold would work as is. (for the round 4 hole flange 8 lug FF Dana 60 with stake drums).

Looking at the bracket, I'll have to cut an end off, narrow it about a 1/4" on the inside of the radius (through bolt holes like the Blackbird one), and bolt it on the back. Blackbird doesn't sell JUST their brackets, gotta get the drums with it, and it's 295 without calipers and pads, just the hardware, discs, and brackets.

So I don't know right now..glad I bought the kids presents before I got this.

here's pics of the various ways I attempted it..the one with the caliper on is apparently the correct way..for a later D60, not mine.

pic above, is without spacer. Hub seats nice and clears bolts. Disc rides on the bracket and no room for pad, and the rather obviuos huge gap. Caliper bolt (top one) would not thread into the bracket, the supplied threaded hole was too small.

Last edited by Gambler68; 12-04-2010, 03:33 PM.
        The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
        Hunter S. Thompson .

Comment

• Gambler68
          Rabble Rouser
          • Feb 29, 2004

caliper bolt is buggered, prolly my fault. Oh, and all this is disregarding the bolt holes that are off enough the 3rd and 4th bolt dont come close to going in..but I'm pretty much at 100% certain these brackets don't work this way. Any comments, ideas, whatever are welcome. I haven't contacted the vendor yet till I know I'm right. I'm just coming to the assumption that I'm the first guy putting on discs on an early narrow drum D60 that ordered this kit, and finding it wont work as is.
          Last edited by Gambler68; 12-04-2010, 04:00 PM.
          Hunter S. Thompson .

Comment

• v10sport
            258 I6
            • Mar 23, 2004

PM gubi. You're having all the same issues I had with the jacked up brackets. Dude probably cut them wrong along with the miss drilled holes.
            My 60 wasnt staked, but had narrow drums on it. My hub does look different than yours. Regardless of the year, the flange is the same. The bracket is drilled wrong. Compare it to the bolt holes on the backing. You'll see the difference
            Last edited by v10sport; 12-04-2010, 04:16 PM.
            77 J20
            09 Rubicon Unlimited
            10 Challenger SRT 8 6 Speed
            11 Grand Cherokee Overland

Wisconsin Speed and Performance

Comment

• Gambler68
              Rabble Rouser
              • Feb 29, 2004

I could try that, can't see what he can do if the brackets have to be attached to the back though. Hole alignment or not, there's no way they'll work on the outside. Maybe my hubs and spindles are shorter than later ones, I dunno.
              Hunter S. Thompson .

Comment

• KaiserMan
                I got the Willys....
                • Jun 21, 2005

Wait, do you have the 4 bolt flange D60? The 7 bolt (74+) is the same flange as a Chevy D60 rear, the 68-73 is not. It's the more common Ford/Dodge style.

Don't those attach from the back?
                Thomas Russell
                1987 Cherokee Laredo 2-Door 4.0/AW4
                1971 Gladiator
                J2000 Platform-Stake Dump 350/T18

1970 Gladiator J3000 3407Z Camper Truck 350/T18
                1968 Wagoneer Custom 327/TH400

Comment

• Gambler68
                  Rabble Rouser
                  • Feb 29, 2004

Wait, do you have the 4 bolt flange D60? The 7 bolt (74+) is the same flange as a Chevy D60 rear, the 68-73 is not. It's the more common Ford/Dodge style.

Don't those attach from the back?
                  Winner winner chicken dinner. I made this aware to the vendor. These are what I got, and they aren't set up for that in any way shape or form. He knew it was a 4 hole, apparently didn't know they only go on the back.
                  Last edited by Gambler68; 12-04-2010, 07:40 PM.
                  Hunter S. Thompson .

Comment

• KaiserMan
                    I got the Willys....
                    • Jun 21, 2005

I thought you had the 7 bolt flange since you where calling it a Chevy rear. I thought the 4 bolt brackets went behind the flange like on 14b's.

Of course you can't try that without cutting the bracket, making it impossible to return.
                    Thomas Russell
                    1971 Gladiator

Comment

• Gambler68
                      Rabble Rouser
                      • Feb 29, 2004

I thought you had the 7 bolt flange since you where calling it a Chevy rear. I thought the 4 bolt brackets went behind the flange like on 14b's.

Of course you can't try that without cutting the bracket, making it impossible to return.
                      I know. Regardless I'm eating this...not going to ship a 71lb package back, already painted and hammered and drilled on the brackets..and I can use the brake parts worst case on the front...but I'm screwed because I really need to get wheels on this, and this was my window of oppurtunity money and weather wise to do it. Now I..just gotta figure something out. Prolly try cutting one and seeing if it'll work behind the flange, slot the holes, trim it somehow, and have it welded after.

From what I've seen scouring the web, only Blackbird sells the 'correct' ones set up for this axle.
                      Hunter S. Thompson .

Comment

• KaiserMan
                        I got the Willys....
                        • Jun 21, 2005

Can't go wrong welding it. Then you'll have it right where you want it, and can clock the calpiers better.
                        Thomas Russell
                        1971 Gladiator

Comment

• Gambler68
                          Rabble Rouser
                          • Feb 29, 2004

Looks like I can use the spacer plates to cut first and get a template to trim the opening in the brackets. Since they're 1/4" steel, I think I'll have to find someone with a milling machine to cut them. Don't think the sawzall or 4" makita is going to swing it this time..
                          Hunter S. Thompson .

Comment

• Gambler68
                            Rabble Rouser
                            • Feb 29, 2004

Ok, took some measurements off 3 D60 rears while up at Flints today:
                            Dodge D60 about 6" from axle tube flange to outside of hub
                            Early style matching mine exactly": about 6.5
                            Later J20 FF D60 (late 70s+) about 9" with a cap over it. So at Least 8 inches from flange to outside of hub

SO....that explains why this bracket doesn't work on the outside of the hub flange. Moving it to the rear should work..at worst calipers will need minor spacing out. I am going to cut and trim mine and go from there. I'll inform the vendor he was mistaken about early year D60s on Full Size Jeeps so he can sell his kits appropiately and hopefully no else has to learn this the hard way.

Will update as I go.

Anyone have a milling machine and a free half hour? I'll mail em with return postage.
                            Hunter S. Thompson .

Comment

• Jeep madness
                              232 I6
                              • Jul 27, 2010

Dude, I just did this conversion on a 72 D60 in my truck! You need to call Shawn Aka gunbi and have him send you a set of early Dodge brackets! The bracket will go over the axle tube and bolt on the back of the flange. Your caliper will line up proper. BUT!!!, You will need to re drill the bolt holes on your axle flange. Re drilling the holes to clock the caliper lower, so you can get your upper caliper pin in and out. Mine works great, I just went through the same thing. Hope this helps.

Comment

• Jeep madness
                                232 I6
                                • Jul 27, 2010

One more thing, I had to order wheel bearing seals for a 69- 76 Dodge 3/4 ton. The seals in your kit will be wrong. I used Dorman lug studs # 610-180 They are 9/16 though. I called Shawn and he sent two other sets of brackets. I used what I needed and sent the rest back. He even refunded me $47.00 cause I had to buy different seals!

Comment

Working...
                                X