The Chero is home, and now it's running nicely...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DanHS
    • Aug 29, 2004

The Chero is home, and now it's running nicely...

*update at the bottom*

Well the weather today was awful, but I got my Chero home. It was a bit of a pain, but it's home. When we got there it had begun to turn to freezing rain, everything was covered in ice and kept icing over again after scraping it off. I had no windshield wipers on the Chero because they were encapsulated and the ice wouldn't melt. Anyways I stuck in the battery I had but it wasn't powerful enough to start the Chero. I jumped it with the Wagoneer and it started ok, but it wouldn't run well, it wasn't getting enough fuel, and the choke doesn't work. I looked down the carb and pulled the throttle back, it only sprayed fuel from one side, the other was clogged. It opened up after running the engine for awhile, but it seems to have fouled up again or something after we started driving, and the carb sucked terribly the whole time. It has sat for awhile, but I'm surprised because it was rebuilt not too long ago, and the Wagoneer also sat for awhile and had no such trouble with the carb. Either way the Chero ran worse and worse on the way home, until it got to the point where it would stall out when you tried to get moving from a stop, no matter what. The battery wouldn't charge enough to spin the starter fast enough either. We had to push start it with the Wagoneer repeatedly, which resulted in the bumper brackets on the Chero getting a little bent and one of my nice Hella lamps on the Wag getting broken. Perhaps the carb was beginning to freeze up or something. My dad drove it most of the way home, and had some issues but it would go, but shortly after I started driving it wouldn't work, it got so bad the truck was shuddering and running very rough, it wouldn't accelerate smoothly enough to shift gears well, never mind that it had to be pushed each time I had to start from a stop. On top of that the brakes were sticking, it pulled to the right when you stepped on the brakes anything more than gently (luckily compression braking limited the need for stepping on the brakes much), and I went to step on the emergency brake only to have the cable snap somewhere and the pedal go to the floor. It was a disaster pretty much.

So once it warms up a little I'm going to go through the carb and see what's up with it, and I'll check all the vacuum lines and charging system, and put in a better battery. I'll probably combine this carb with the other carb I had already started to rebuild so that I can have this thing driving properly. Then I'll have to fix the emergency brake and unstick the stuck brakes, and then it should drive well. Once all that's sorted I'll do the TFI, and then the 4bbl upgrade later. Other than those issues it has the truck seems pretty solid, it is rusty, but it's not rusted out. From what I could tell it rides relatively smooth and handles well, but with the engine stuttering and stumbling it was hard to tell over the shudder it created. I can feel that the performance is there, it's just stuck under a messed up carb and dragged down by sticking brakes

I did get some pictures after I got it home, none from picking it up though.

Pretty decent looking Chero I think, rusty, but solid

The interior is in rather nice shape, the carpet isn't too great, but the seats are nice and clean under those fuzzy sheepskin covers

It has some rust, this was the worst spot, the flares are fiberglass, there's sheetmetal patches inside the fender. Will need some doner sheetmetal someday soon.

Best nighttime shot I could manage of the fleet. Once this thing is running right I'll have a bunch of beach pics, hopefully with snow.
    Last edited by DanHS; 02-21-2007, 01:15 PM.
    '84 Grand Wagoneer 360/727/229, 32" General ST's and 36" Swampers, 3" lift, TFI/Mallory 6AL, CS 144, Taurus fan, custom bumper, and custom 'bodywork'. Soon to have 6" lift

'79 Cherokee S 360/T15/D20, rusting away while I figure out what to do with it

'91 Final Edition GW in Spinnaker Blue!

My FSJ pics

FSJ Grille Identification
  • bigun
    • Feb 10, 2003

Sounds like a rough trip, but I am sure you'll get it sorted out!
    charlie
    KB0HXA
    "Crom" 76/75 Cherokee/J20 Hybred,

Originally posted by Gambler68
    congrats...that's the first post on here I have absolutely no effing clue how to comment on.
    How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.
    Robert A. Heinlein
    The birth of CROM is recorded here
    http://www.alaska4x4network.com/showthread.php?t=7778

Comment

• KaiserMan
      I got the Willys....
      • Jun 21, 2005

Yikes! Sounds like you had a rough time. Pretty decent looking Jeep for $500.
      Thomas Russell
      1987 Cherokee Laredo 2-Door 4.0/AW4
      1971 Gladiator
      J2000 Platform-Stake Dump 350/T18

1970 Gladiator J3000 3407Z Camper Truck 350/T18
      1968 Wagoneer Custom 327/TH400

Comment

• Heavy_Metal_Thunder_81
        Cherokee Outlaw
        • Jan 10, 2006

$500!?!?! Man I got ripped of! I got my old Chero for $550 and it didnt even run before I bought it nor was it even saveable body wise. Live and learn I guess.
        -Jonny B.
        1979 Cherokee Golden Eagle - UNDER CONSTRUCTION
        7" Alcan springs, BJ's HD shackles - 35x12.5x15 BFG Mud Terrains
        AMC 401 - Pro-Flo 4 EFI
        NV4500/NWF BB/NP205 - Triple Stick'd
        F D44 - 4.10, Eaton E-Locker
        R M23 - 4.10, Detroit Locker

1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
        1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
        1979 Wagoneer - Sold
        1981 Cherokee Chief - Cubed

Comment

• J10Joe
          304 AMC
          • Oct 06, 2005

you need another muscle grille now, eh?
          1985 J-10 LWB
          258/727/NP208
          4" lift, TFI, MC 2100

1988 J20-one of the last ones
          8400 GVRW
          360/727/208
          TFI, Rustolium (brushed)
          Fisher/Meyers plow truck

Comment

• Ristow
            • Jan 20, 2006

360 with a T15,fun combo!

i'm sure the powervalve is rotten,so it's flooding.i gotta lotta parts for these things,so if you need anything lemme know. lots of carb parts too.
            Last edited by Ristow; 02-14-2007, 06:52 PM.
            Originally posted by Hankrod
            Ristows right.................again,

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
            ... like the little 'you know what's' that you are.

I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...

Comment

• Jeep_Guy
              327 Rambler
              • Feb 10, 2006

Thats a real neat lookin pignose, looks sweet with the center all blacked out like that. Good Score!
              -1982 Jeep J10 Honcho
              -1991 Jeep Wrangler
              -1985 Jeep J10 Pioneer
              -1964 Jeep Cj5 Universal -RIP
              ---Jeep85J10Guy

Comment

• grand_wag_85
                Murphy's Law Poster Child
                • Dec 03, 2003

Congrats! Could have been worse ya kno but for $500 and a snow day you can't go wrong
                You know it's bad when your car's on the EPA's 10 most wanted list!

'82 J10
                '88 GW
                '77 J10 Golden Eagle 401

Comment

• DanHS
                  • Aug 29, 2004

Thanks everyone. The ride home was pretty awful, I almost regretted buying the Chero, I wish I had bought it in Nov instead when the weather was better, lol. Looks like I'll have some time Friday and Sat to get it working, provided it doesn't rain or snow.

I figured $500 was a great deal though for a Jeep with 30k on the rebuilt and upgraded engine, a manual trans, and new tires. Plus it's from the original owner who took good care of it for 326k miles. Runs horrible now but I think I'll have it sorted quickly. Sitting on grass is prolly what messed up the brakes, all the moisture. I just wish the trans was a T-18 so I could have the granny low first, it sure would have helped driving it today too.

The power valve in the carb should be good, it was a Holley piece, not some cheapo replacement. Could still be bad though, it did run rich, and felt like it was flooding, but idled alright. Probably needs the TFI and carb rebuilt before it'll run smooth. I might need an accelerator pump cover for the carb I was rebuilding, unless I combine this carb with it. I plan to put on the 4180-c carb soon enough anyway.

The grille looks cool, but I'm going to put the muscle grille on the Chero and put the old blacked out pignose back on the GW, and prolly put the Chero's grille on the wall since it's nice and clean looking. Can't wait to drive this thing around and go faster than 45mph, and to go wheeling with two FSJ's.
                  Last edited by DanHS; 02-14-2007, 08:40 PM.
                  '84 Grand Wagoneer 360/727/229, 32" General ST's and 36" Swampers, 3" lift, TFI/Mallory 6AL, CS 144, Taurus fan, custom bumper, and custom 'bodywork'. Soon to have 6" lift

'79 Cherokee S 360/T15/D20, rusting away while I figure out what to do with it

'91 Final Edition GW in Spinnaker Blue!

My FSJ pics

FSJ Grille Identification

Comment

• Ristow
                    • Jan 20, 2006

holley p/v's don't usually work too well in a motorcraft carb,the threads are way too short,and can strip off.better investigate.
                    Originally posted by Hankrod
                    Ristows right.................again,

... like the little 'you know what's' that you are.

I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...

Comment

• Bama Burden
                      350 Buick
                      • Jul 28, 2005

good work getting it home. looks like a helluva steal for $500.

Comment

• 91G-Dub
                        360 AMC
                        • Aug 21, 2004

Let's see:

paid $500 for a FSJ that's older than you are and it was difficult to get it home.

You got it home without a tow truck!

That's a h3ll of a score in my book.

Congrats Dan, looks pretty good from the pics you posted.
                        91G-Dub = Bill Houston

1979/1980 J-10 Junkyard Dog 258 4 speed D44 front AMC 20 rear 3.31 Lincoln Locker Status Running
                        1991 Grand Wagoneer Gray Ghost (bone stock) STATUS Gone but not forgotten

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
                        It is its natural manure."

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

• janie
                          • Aug 11, 2001

Dan, looks like a heckuva score for $500.00. Definitely sounds like ya'all had a rough trip home, but trust me, you will laugh about it later.

Congrat's on the new Cherk!
                          He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. Faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

Comment

• grand_wag_85
                            Murphy's Law Poster Child
                            • Dec 03, 2003

Dan-What's the black box above the AC vent on the driver's side of the dash? Plow control? Just noticed it& never seen one like it before....
                            You know it's bad when your car's on the EPA's 10 most wanted list!

'82 J10
                            '88 GW
                            '77 J10 Golden Eagle 401

Comment

• Cherokee01478
                              327 Rambler
                              • Nov 05, 2006

Taking them home's always fun. I remember the fun of bringing back my MGB on a trailer; after about five minutes it jumped OFF the trailer - the owner handn't put the handbrake on, nor put it in gear. So, it was freezing cold and pouring rain - me and my mate had a non-running car half off its trailer. We finally managed to manhandle it back on, but on the journey home, the handbrake seized on, meaning we couldn't push it off the trailer; in the end, we got the back wheels on the ground and my mate pulled out the trailer from underneath it. Ah, the fun of transporting an old car. It's always worth it in the end, though.
                              If nature abhors a vacuum, how does a vacuum feel about nature?

1979 Jeep Cherokee Chief Widetrack, 5.9l (360cu) with a Holley 600 carb.

Comment

Working...
                              X