• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sitting Bull
    360 AMC
    • Sep 18, 2000

Overhead Console

Has anyone swapped a late waggy overhead console into a late 70's FSJ? What all needs to be considered (new headliner, brackets, wiring, etc.)? Anyone swapped one in from another vehicle altogether?
    Brad Reardon<br />1977ish Cherokee Chief.
  • Tad
    • Nov 30, 2001

I have never seen one of these, what years did they come from and does anyone have some pic's?
    2000 Infinity QX4, 3.3L, MPFI, 4 speed auto, 2 speed Nissan tcase, Unibody, IFS front, 4 link rear solid axle with 255-70/16s

IFSJA WMS PROJECT
    EARLY WAG LIFT SEARCH

...Pay no attention to these heathen barbarians with their cutting torches and 8" lift kits!...
    Self Inflicted Flesh Wound

Comment

• 64Trvlr
      Traveler
      • Nov 28, 2000

I didn't swap anything into mine, but built a new one from scratch. I used 16ga steel for it. I made a templet from light cardboard then cut and bent the steel to fit. I put it in place, sat and looked at it for a while figuring where I wanted things, started installing everything in it, wired it up. After I was happy with it I took it back out and painted it hooked everything back up and it was done.
      41 MB<br />46 CJ-2A 307,T90,D18,27,44,4:27\'S<br />64 Traveler, 350,sm465,np205,44\'s w/4:88\'s, spool, 34X9.50 TSL\'s,3\" factory lift, Line-x interior, PS, Dual Optima\'s, custom overhead console,Warn XD900i,custom bumpers<br /><a href=\"http://images.andale.com/f2/116/106/4651773/1009696569938_64trvlrconsolegrp.JPG\" target=\"_blank\">Overhead C

STOLEN! Dana 300 Twin Stick

Comment

• Tad
        • Nov 30, 2001

Yep, saw yours live and it was very nice. Going to do the same since I don't want to trash my dash making holes for all the stuff I would like to have eventually.
        2000 Infinity QX4, 3.3L, MPFI, 4 speed auto, 2 speed Nissan tcase, Unibody, IFS front, 4 link rear solid axle with 255-70/16s

IFSJA WMS PROJECT
        EARLY WAG LIFT SEARCH

...Pay no attention to these heathen barbarians with their cutting torches and 8" lift kits!...
        Self Inflicted Flesh Wound

Comment

• Allen78J20
          350 Buick
          • Jan 31, 2002

I swapped a 89 GW Overhead Console into my 78 J20.
          I used the exsisting metal bracket from the GW and "made it fit". The challenge I had was that my headiner has a natural curve in it, so I had to curve the metal a certain way so when I tightened the bolts it would snug up to the headiner and be flush. I dont think you will have this problem [img]smile.gif[/img] I extended the harness 6 feet to reach to the fuse box. A member on here (Thanks Kel!) provided me with a 91 GW diagram to do the wiring from. I pulled the temp sensor from the Waggy and had to extend those wires 6 feet approx as well. Got the overhead lights to work when I open the door, turn the headlight switch all the way to the left, and from the push buttons themselves. No display tho. I troubleshot and troubleshot. It worked when I pulled it from the waggy. I still need a 89 TSM to see where I might of hooked up 2 wires wrong on the Jeep end not the console end. Make sure when you pull the console you pull the wiring harness also. I know thats a "gimme" but I pulled it and then had to go back to get the harness [img]smile.gif[/img] However it looks awesome, I recovered it in black to match my interior, just need to get the display to work If you need any help at all let me know and I will be more than happy to help you!!! I can call or we can do it by email...

Comment

• Joe H.
            304 AMC
            • Jun 03, 2000

I'm pretty sure the GW console is the same one that's found in contemporary Chryco minivans. Mine *tried* to work, but I think it's now on permanent vacation. Doesn't bother me, though--the sunglass holder always left little greasy bits of funk on my shades
            1991 Grand Wagoneer<br />...stock daily driver

Comment

• coolram
              350 Buick
              • Nov 10, 2001

I've put one in my '88 and have just the overhead lights for now(thanks to Allen and Kel I'm working on the rest).Got material to match the headliner and recovered.Also installed(and recovered)the later sun visors( shorter than old style to fit with the console).Sure changes the look of the inside.On the Chryco those consoles are a bit shorter but will still work.
              \'95 Jimmy SLS 4 door 4wd 4.3 CPI/Auto<br />\'89 Grand Am LE 2 door<br />\'88 Grand Wagoneer sadly had to sell<br />\'92 CapriXR2 Turbo/Accel TFI coil<br />\'70 Monte Carlo SS454 107,000 original miles -sad to say but had to sell her<br />Had a \'79 Cherkee S 10 years ago and wish I still did

Comment

• Allen78J20
                350 Buick
                • Jan 31, 2002

I did get the display working! And updated the wiring diagram also. Still have the CAL symbol, and no compass mode no matter how many circles i drive in [img]smile.gif[/img] But I think the compass mode didnt work in the waggy either(i didnt test that part in the waggy, all I did was turn the ign and saw it come on). Now I have a friend of mine that has a late model Dodge Ram, and that console would be perfect for a J-truck or a waggy/chero. Its small, compact, and has 2 lights.I am picking up the pics of the console in my truck today and will post them on my site soon. If your going to pull one from a waggy make sure you get the sunvisors and related accessories from it also like Coolram did. I didnt think about that, but i dont move my visors off the the side either. Fits just fine with the regular visors.

Update: I put the pics on my site, go to the photo page. There is popups(2-3) due to it being a free site...

[ May 12, 2002: Message edited by: Allen ]</p>

Comment

• Johnny
                  232 I6
                  • May 21, 2002

Got the console in my 1989. Its got a compass and thermometer and left and right individually switched lights in the front part and two more in the back. If you need a picture I can take one and email. Contact jh at tti1.com.
                  Johnny<br />Grand Wagoneer 1989 \"B-52\"

Comment

Working...
                  X