• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • iroc86
    258 I6
    • Oct 24, 2003

Windshield wiper chatter... at my wit's end

I seem to be plagued by windshield wiper chatter on every vehicle I've ever owned, and my '89 Grand Wagoneer is no exception. My wipers seem to be "loading up" and then springing forward as they wipe, which is putting all sorts of undue stress on the linkage and motor, not to mention streaking the windshield and making awful noises.

Does anyone have wipers that work smoothy, the way they're supposed to? Has anyone successfully fixed chattering wipers on a FSJ? Here's what I've tried so far:

1. Cleaned windshield with clay bar and Bon Ami.
    2. Bent windshield wiper arms to apply more spring pressure.
    3. Bent windshield wiper arms to achieve proper angle of blade on glass.
    4. Removed wiper linkage (worst job ever) and checked for any slop (there was none).
    5. Tried different wiper blades.
    6. Removed one wiper at a time to see if they chattered individually; they do.

Nothing I've done has improved the wipers' operation. If the windshield is dry, the wipers do not chatter -- they glide smoothly and quietly. As soon as water hits the glass, they jump around all over the place. Oddly, all of the vehicles I've had chattering problems with have used pin-style wiper arms.

My last car, a Cadillac Eldorado, had this problem and I was never able to solve it. I replaced the linkage, arms, blades, and even the windshield and they still chattered.
  • Ristow
    • Jan 20, 2006

i got a set of the new bosch wipers. the frame less looking ones. work nicely.
    Originally posted by Hankrod
    Ristows right.................again,

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
    ... like the little 'you know what's' that you are.

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
    I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...

Comment

• J300Zack
      232 I6
      • Oct 15, 2007

Originally posted by Ristow
      i got a set of the new bosch wipers. the frame less looking ones. work nicely.
      X2

or try cleaning the blades with some rubbing alcohol. Probably the best thing to try is rain-x the windshield, huge difference!
      '65 J300 Thriftside, Cummins Tow Rig (Sittin' in the field)
      '97 Tj 4.6L Stroker, locked, and rock rashed (Current DD)
      '86 Waggy, 360, Ax-15, Np231 (For Sale)
      '04 CBR 600RR, (Got to drive something fast)

Comment

I do not have that problem unless the wiper blades are getting stiff...and it seems like the new ones don't last as long as they used to.
        Mark B. Jones

Originally posted by GrandWag&Prix
        Actually, now that I think about it, that could be either awesome or really terrible.

'79 Cherokee Chief "Junaluska"

Comment

• Tripwire
          AMC 4 OH! 1
          • Jul 30, 2000

Me too....I have tried everything on my waggie - including replacing the entire arm assy. my last hope in a new windshield, perhaps years of microsopic wear are causing the issue

Trip
          Abort? Retry? Ignore? >

86 GrandWag. Howell fuel Injected 360. MSD Ignition + Dizzy. 727/229 swap BJ's 2" Lift and 31's

88 Wrangler 4.2, Howell TBI and MSD - Borla Headers w/ Cat-back + winch and 31's AND a M416 trailer (-:

Comment

its usually due to weak springs in the arms.

Al
            79 Cherokee Chief "Kronk" - TBI350/SM465/NP205
            99 Dodge 2500 4x4 - Cummins 24v
            07 Mazdaspeed3 GT - Big turbo, 340whp

Comment

• cu4whln
              304 AMC
              • May 16, 2008

Also - check all the linkages. Chatter can also come with wear in the drivetrain of the overall system. Sometimes, the linkages come slightly loose.
              It's not yours 'til ya bleed on it . . . https://forums.ifsja.org/core/images...s/rolleyes.png

1977 "401" 'Da Chief
              1979 Chero: "Madness" [Sold]
              1972 J4000
              1985 CJ : Renegade -locked and loaded
              2005 Unlimited Rubicon - Built
              2012 Artic JK 4 door, 2016 JK 2 door

'Da Chief here: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showt...ighlight=chief

Round 2- LT Swap: 'Da Chief:
              http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=188457

"Madness" build here:
              http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=89280

Comment

• iroc86
                258 I6
                • Oct 24, 2003

Thanks for the helpful tips, guys. I'm certain that the wiper transmission behind the dashboard is slop-free, as I completely removed it and checked the bushings. No noticeable wear at all.

I bought a pair of Trico NeoForm frameless blades today (the local parts store doesn't carry the Bosch Evolution blades, but these are pretty much the same thing). The chattering went away somewhat, but the blades seem pretty much useless in cold weather. It's 15 degrees in Pittsburgh and the air has "frozen" the blade into its preformed curved shape, and thus it doesn't completely wipe away all of the water on the windshield. Weak wiper arm springs might be the culprit here, but I suspect that cars designed for frameless wipers have stronger springs to begin with.

I used to own an XJ and never had chattering problems, so I was thinking of adapting those arms to my GW. Interestingly, Team Grand Wagoneer sells a replacement FSJ arm that looks identical a hook-style XJ arm.

Comment

• bORGEL
                  232 I6
                  • Jan 07, 2011

Did you ever solve this problem?

I have the same problem and it is driving me crazy (no pun intended). The wipers do not chatter on a dry windshield but are unbelievably staggered on a wet windshield.

Thanks,

Palli
                  Grand Wagoneer 1990
                  1990 Grand Wagoneer
                  Stock height, AMC 401, Edelbrock Performer Intake, 260 Cam, 9.8 compression, Mallory ignition, Howell TBI,
                  Iceland

Comment

• sXeMike
                    232 I6
                    • Sep 21, 2010

It might sound crazy but what kind of washer fluid do you use?
                    I'm pretty sure that the orange rain-x stuff causes the blades to harden. Every vehicle that I've used the stuff in has had the same problem.

Comment

• iroc86
                      258 I6
                      • Oct 24, 2003

Originally posted by bORGEL
                      Did you ever solve this problem?

I have the same problem and it is driving me crazy (no pun intended). The wipers do not chatter on a dry windshield but are unbelievably staggered on a wet windshield.

Thanks,

Palli
                      Grand Wagoneer 1990
                      You know, I ignored the problem and it kinda went away. I'm not sure if the wiper blades "wore in" or what, but the chatter isn't as bad as it once was... though, it's still noticeable.

I recently had a similar wiper issue with another vehicle, and I tried the usual suggestions to no avail. On a whim, I decided to purchase OEM wiper blades. Since this vehicle was a Ford, the blades were Motorcraft. I had never used Motorcraft wiper blades until now, but I've been impressed with the build quality and performance. Interestingly, it also eliminated the chatter. I've been meaning to try a set on my Wagoneer, but it's tucked away for the wintertime. That might be worth a shot.

Comment

• blakeusa
                        350 Buick
                        • Jul 21, 2005

Originally posted by J300Zack
                        X3

or try cleaning the blades with some rubbing alcohol. Probably the best thing to try is Rain-X (silicone type lubricant) the windshield, huge difference!
                        Rain X works good. Just clean the glass real good before you apply it.
                        1971 J4000 Gladiator w/AMC 401 Restoration Project

Comment

• Tripwire
                          AMC 4 OH! 1
                          • Jul 30, 2000

replying again - after having an new windshield ( and reused my old newfangled framless wipers) - its just like a brand new car, no chatter clean sweeps a night and day difference
                          Abort? Retry? Ignore? >

86 GrandWag. Howell fuel Injected 360. MSD Ignition + Dizzy. 727/229 swap BJ's 2" Lift and 31's

88 Wrangler 4.2, Howell TBI and MSD - Borla Headers w/ Cat-back + winch and 31's AND a M416 trailer (-:

Comment

• The Colonel
                            360 AMC
                            • Feb 21, 2010

Wiper "chatter" is usually caused by the "attack" angle of the wiper blade itself. This is adjusted by tweaking the arm slightly. Many OEM's actually have a suggested angle and a tool to measure this.

I see you already used clay bar- that works wonders too.

You can get the idea here: (only online info I could find quickly)

spaghetticoder.org is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, spaghetticoder.org has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Comment

• bORGEL
                              232 I6
                              • Jan 07, 2011

Many thanks for your quick replies. I will try new blades, then try to change the angle and if that does not work then a new windshield (it is pretty worn).

Palli
                              Grand Wagoneer 1990
                              1990 Grand Wagoneer
                              Stock height, AMC 401, Edelbrock Performer Intake, 260 Cam, 9.8 compression, Mallory ignition, Howell TBI,
                              Iceland

Comment

Working...
                              X