X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Heep80
    258 I6
    • Apr 27, 2006

i will watch this topic now, since i have to sell my toyota and have been accepted to the nursing program.. what better way to trick out my J truck.
    80 J-10 with 3in RC lift,1 in. shackles, buckshot M/T 33's. dual glasspack exhaust,eldobrock intake/carb/valve covers/aircleaner k&n, autometer tach, spare tire mount w/ fullsize spare,tool box, 40gal spare tank, grant steering wheel, rhino grill,DPA (Not installed Doug T's Headers, Hi lift jack, cobra cb,tie rods, & dual timing chain

Comment

• Casey
      • Oct 08, 2003

Originally posted by Dmntxn77
      It is just the angle of the pic... The new arms are angled in so they will clear the wheels, and the factory arms are straight. So, unless a photo is taken directly above or below the arms, the camera plays tricks...
      1994 YJ
      1986 Comanche
      '57 FC-150

Carolina Full Size Jeep Club
      www.cfsjc.com

www.patriotguard.org

Originally posted by Jeepstress
      "Go forth and be a tool".
      Originally posted by 78 Wagoneer
      This year for ECI I got a Jeep. Pretty important upgrade.

Comment

• Dmntxn77
        Hey watch this...
        • Nov 19, 2004

Well, I guess I stand corrected... I guess some arm ARE shorter.. Mine were not. Personally, I would not want shorter arms, it seems as though they would put more stress on the steering box due to the loss of mechanical advantage.

Comment

• malodin
          304 AMC
          • Sep 03, 2004

if you would like me to move this to a seperat topic i will

Hi guys, i love the information but have a few questions.

1. ive got a 1977 hdd44 from a chevy k20. I do not know the names of the parts very well so bare with me. its got a crescent shaped thing that bolts to the steering nuckle that the steering box ties to via a rod about 1 foot maybe 1.5ft. and only one side of the axle is flat top (the one with the crescent shaped thing)

what i need to know is how to efficiently and cheaply install it into my jeep. i want to swap the whole axle that way i am soa. however i cannot afford the cost of those high steer arms and all that. is there a way that i can use a combination of the stuff i got on my fsj and the chevy to make it work right?

any help would be appreciated as im dead in the water and cannot afford the high steer setup.
          alex

p.s. on the plus side i got the 14ff in with only minimal stretching of the leaf springs it looks good under there.

soon it will be 401/th400/d300 14ff and hd44 front
          1977 CHEROKEE CHIEF, 401, SOA FRONT SITTING ON HD44 4.10'S, TH400/D300 COMBO, 14BFF REAR WITH TT'S FAB'S REAR SHAKLE FLIP KIT, RB'S BRONCO TANK MOD. 35'S

Comment

No you will not be able to use that "crescent shaped thing" (Steering arm) Chevy steering box being on the outside of the frame is able to utilize that by running a drag link straight back to that, but FSJ's with the steering box inside the frame can't. Best think you can do is remove the steering arm. Then have the pass knuckle machined for 1 steering arm and then have a drag link made to run from your pitman arm to the new steering arm, Leave the Chevy center link in the original steering arm position, this would be called Cross Over Steering. When you feel you want to go to full high steer you just buy another steering arm and it will bolt up to the already studded drivers side knuckle, then all you would need is a custom center link and have your drag link shortened.
            Daily Driver 2008 Wrangler Sahara
            Going, Gone, or Thinking Fishing

Comment

• malodin
              304 AMC
              • Sep 03, 2004

lol, crazy, that just confused me a little more, any chance you have some pictures of the different links your talking about? i think what your saying is, the dpa connects to the passenger side "flat top"(which is on my jeep but not my chevy 44) and then use the stock chevy arm going from both fronts of the nuckles? what is needed to mill the top of the arm? ive got a machine lathe and a 3way axis mill at work(if i knew what to do i could do it at work).
              1977 CHEROKEE CHIEF, 401, SOA FRONT SITTING ON HD44 4.10'S, TH400/D300 COMBO, 14BFF REAR WITH TT'S FAB'S REAR SHAKLE FLIP KIT, RB'S BRONCO TANK MOD. 35'S

Comment

LOL I knew I was going to confuse that all up! LOL

Here is a pic of what I am talking about on the front of a Chevy

Comment

• malodin
                  304 AMC
                  • Sep 03, 2004

would i be able to use the jeeps stock rod(cross over part) or would i have to get a new rod as well to go from the dpa to the nuckle

Comment

Originally posted by malodin
                    would i be able to use the jeeps stock rod(cross over part) or would i have to get a new rod as well to go from the dpa to the nuckle
                    Nope you would need a custom drag link (From Pitman Arm to new steering arm location) However you will be able to use the Chevy stock center link (wheel to wheel link)

Comment

• malodin
                      304 AMC
                      • Sep 03, 2004

ok that makes sense, so no matter what im gonna have to speen at least 150 to get it going, any threads or any info you have on making a drag link? i.e. what i would need to do it? ive got all the tools i think to create the draglink mill the flat top nuckles etc.

also whats up with the 10degree correction thing?
                      Last edited by malodin; 12-30-2006, 11:51 PM.

Comment

• lifenajeep
                        232 I6
                        • Nov 15, 2003

Man, I just built two systems the other day for this exact set-up. I am shipping one out on Tuesday but I will get some shots of the other before and after it gets installed. I am using 1.5"x.250 DOM with 7/8" hiems rated at 50000lbs. The kits are going on a CJ and a YJ that have converted to FSJ NT D44s but are still using the stock spring mounts on the axle. There will be a draglink length difference but that's about it. These are not a high steer set-up but do increase the strength of the steering considerabley. Pictures, I know. soon come
                        Phillip S. Losh
                        SEARCHERS 4WD Supply and Outfitters http://www.Searchers4wd.com
                        225-744-4947
                        I have a Jeep....or two

Comment

• malodin
                          304 AMC
                          • Sep 03, 2004

lifenajeep, that would be cool i would love to see some pictures.

Comment

can we get some breakdowns on crossover steering solutions?

i'm back in the SOA game and i don't have that kind of cash for full hi-steer, i'll settle for x-over.

what are the cost break downs on just going crossover? just trying to get a parts list going as i start scrounging for cheap parts.

Al
                            79 Cherokee Chief "Kronk" - TBI350/SM465/NP205
                            99 Dodge 2500 4x4 - Cummins 24v
                            07 Mazdaspeed3 GT - Big turbo, 340whp

Comment

• Twozerofour
                              230 Tornado
                              • Jan 16, 2007

Is it possible to run a soa, with out a cross over or high steer. or are there clearnce issues with the leaves and steering links. I am aware of bump steer issues ect. with ghetto steering set ups. 81waggy.

Comment

• malodin
                                304 AMC
                                • Sep 03, 2004

twozerofour, i believe it is possible only to say move it out of the garage and around the corner, but definately not safe or plausible to drive on the road, as the angles the arms would be at would be so great that either you would have no turning radius or it would be extrememely squirly and quick steering(dont quote me on that though as i have not done my soa yet)

Comment

Working...
                                X