• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chuck Brown
    327 Rambler
    • Feb 17, 2008

HELP! Stainless Steel Windshield Trim

Fellas, Im in a bind and need your help here as I try and put my rig back together after its sat in pieces for the past couple years (since before I bought it).

I've got the the 5 long pieces of stainless trim for the windshield and the 4 corner "L" pieces laid out on the windshield and based on the screw holes in the corner pieces and 2 uprights, Im pretty sure I've got everything mapped out the way it should be...but now I've run into a snag. Heres the deal....

First question:

A.) There are two corner pieces that look pretty much identical, and I suspect that they go to either the top passenger side corner, or lower driver's side corner (based on the one fat "leg" and one "skinny leg") and I am not certain which is *which*, but ONE of them has a semi-circle notch on the outside corner, like it may be the keystone piece. Anybody know which corner this "notched" version goes in?

B.) After almost slicing my hand trying to get the upper and 2 lower pieces slotted into the rubber windshield gasket, I threw in the towel for the night.
    Just as I would get it slotted (with help from some soapy water) into the channel, it would pop out when it came time to wrap it around toward the pillars of the windshield. Any idea as to what Im doing wrong?

C.) I've got to believe that there is some logical order of install that Im not following, as I feel like every combination that I start with ends in failure and the Factory Service Manual has been no use at all. Also. even when roughly fitted in the rubber gasket, the corner pieces sort of stick out at weird angles to the body.

Anybody have any experience in this, as Im SOOOOO close to have the exterior put back together at this point that its killing me.

As always, thanks for the read boys.

Chuck Brown
    Life may be hard, but it sure as hell beats the alternative.
    Works in progress:
    1977 Cherokee Chief; 401/Auto/6" BJ's Lift/Cliffhanger/Stripped out Interior
    1964 J200; 360, .030 over, Edelbrock Intake and Carb, 6" lift
  • Fen
    232 I6
    • Aug 06, 2011

Wow, something I can help with!

There are only 2 corner pieces, so if you have 4 then I think you have some extras. The corner pieces go at the top corners. The cutout you can see is there to let the piece sit flush without hitting the rain gutter. I forget which edge it goes on, but I *think* the horizontal.

In terms of order, I put the top piece on first, then the pieces either side of the screen down the pillars. Next the 2 corner pieces at the top. Finally the two bottom pieces with the small part in the centre last to hold them on.

I used a rubber mallet to tap them in dry, however I might not recommend that as I cracked my screen on the second bottom piece. I don't know how the guy who replaced the screen refitted them.

All of the above is for a '79 J20, so if they changed over the years that the trim was fitted I could be steering you wrong.
    Fen

Most southerly member?

1965 Wagoneer
    1979 J20, 350 Chev, TH400/D20, flat bed
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1996 Cherokee XJ, 3" lift and 30x9.5s. SOLD
    1997 Wrangler TJ Sport, 4" lift, 33s
    2007 Can Am Outlander 800

Comment

• tgreese
      • May 29, 2003

As I recall, I fitted the corner pieces last. (I should have taken notes). I recall that it seemed miraculous that the top piece is as secure as it is, given how it's attached. I don't recall the details, but I believe the top piece goes on the windshield, then the corners slice over the top piece while the corners are already seated in the side pieces - the sides sort of hinge into place as the top corners slide on ( again, I should have taken notes). The corners don't really slide into or pop over the molded places in the rubber - although it looks like they should. And I put the bottom pieces on first.

I used silicone spray - lots of silicone spray. I cleaned the grooves in the rubber out thoroughly. I tapped with a rubber mallet and used the edge of a piece of wood to help slide the trim along.

It'll go - I did it, and the trim was missing from my truck when I got it, so I had no model to work from. You can do it too.
      Last edited by tgreese; 11-05-2011, 12:14 PM.
      Tim Reese
      Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
      Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
      Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
      GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
      ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

Working...
      X