• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dan Stewart
    258 I6
    • Aug 11, 2002

Windshield Rust Monster Repair

I am trying to finish the welding on the waggy. I got the rear wheelwells capped after i cut them. I took out the broken windshield last week to get at the rust holes on the bottom corners of the cowl. I only got one finished.

This is what it looked like (but the other side)

So I have one side to finish then it is time to figure out what to finish the windshield frame with.
    What have you guys used to try and keep the rust monster from reappearing on the windshield frame. Not like this is a show rig but i would like it to last a bit longer. I am going to strip the paint and use some ospho to clean up what remaining rust maybe hiding, then i have to decide what to use to cover that. I have epoxy primer that I am going to use, but i want something under it. I really do not like POR15. I used that stuff about 12 years ago for a differnt jeep and it flaked off. I am leaning towards Eastwood companies Rust covnerter, but i would like to hear what others have done to treat the windshield frame from rust.
    Dan Stewart
    1958 Land Rover Series 1
    1991 Wrangler YJ
  • Tad
    • Nov 30, 2001

I guess I finished off the can of this stuff (looked, no find) but it's a zinc based encapsulating (sp?) primer and I have had good results from it for several years (someone here told me about it).
    It's not real special, think I got it at ACE or Lowes at about $12 a can, like a spray paint can. Just used it on small areas like yours that I had to just live with and it seems to work very well.
    2000 Infinity QX4, 3.3L, MPFI, 4 speed auto, 2 speed Nissan tcase, Unibody, IFS front, 4 link rear solid axle with 255-70/16s

IFSJA WMS PROJECT
    EARLY WAG LIFT SEARCH

...Pay no attention to these heathen barbarians with their cutting torches and 8" lift kits!...
    Self Inflicted Flesh Wound

Comment

• Dan Stewart
      258 I6
      • Aug 11, 2002

Is it just galvanizing spray paint? I thoguht of that stuff, but didnt know how well it would take to primer. I know the zinc would heal itself so i imagine it would be rather tough under the gasket.
      Dan Stewart
      1958 Land Rover Series 1
      1991 Wrangler YJ

Comment

• Tad
        • Nov 30, 2001

I don't think they call it a paint but it's been a bit since I bought it.
        I used it as a primer and was able to paint over it without any issues.
        2000 Infinity QX4, 3.3L, MPFI, 4 speed auto, 2 speed Nissan tcase, Unibody, IFS front, 4 link rear solid axle with 255-70/16s

IFSJA WMS PROJECT
        EARLY WAG LIFT SEARCH

...Pay no attention to these heathen barbarians with their cutting torches and 8" lift kits!...
        Self Inflicted Flesh Wound

Comment

Working...
        X