• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • COLOFIREMAN
    Gone,But not Forgotten.
    • Apr 09, 2005

Originally posted by BGW
    Yay! Someone here shares my opinion!

Well I agree with you two as well!! If Ford was to ever pair with CAT, now that would be a mean truck!!!
    Jason in the Mountains
    1978 J10 LB,OE 4-speed,4:10's,4BBl,and just 85K(daily driver)
    1988 Grand Waggy 8" lift 35" A/T's (under construction)
    1984 CJ7 12" lift 39" Iroks 1 tons
    1979 Cherokee Super Chief (under construction )
    1974 J-10 LB Buick 455 BB 4" lift 33" BFG tires
    1973 J-4800 LB plow truck 7" lift 255/85/16 LT Truxs MT's

Comment

• vintagetrks
      304 AMC
      • May 01, 2009

IMHO DEFFINITELY THE CUMMINS
      New Full Size Jeep Nut

I'm just a washed up old has been, Army guy.
      My opinions are outdated... After all, what have I done lately? I used to be somebody "A SOLDIER!"

04 Jeep Wrangler "Lil Ninja" 32's 2in lift swaybar disconnects
      90 Grand Wagoneer "Big Mama"

Comment

• mattmopar440
        AMC 4 OH! 1
        • May 17, 2007

Originally posted by DAHoyle
        Minor correction here.
        Most Cummins 4BT do not come with a GM bolt pattern.
        The Cummins uses a Bellhousing adapter which goes between the engine and bellhousing, and there are many many versions available.

GM
        Ford small block pattern
        at least 2 Dodge Patterns
        Yes I know that cummins has there own bolt pattern.
        I've seen 4bt in ford vans, but the most common trans I've ever seen bolted to them is a TH400 every time I run into one it's bolt to a TH400 out of an old chevy box van or has nothing bolted to it and it's attach to a generator
        Last edited by mattmopar440; 08-16-2009, 09:18 PM.
        87' Grand Wagoneer
        401/727/229, Currently:RUNNING
        84 J10/20 hybrid 258/727/208 Daily Driver
        80' J10 4BT/AX-15/208
        74' J10 Go Grabber Green Sold
        Originally posted by Heavy_Metal_Thunder_81
        Inferior Chevy

Comment

Keep in mind that if you use a 4L80E you will need to use the transfer case that comes with it or have an adapter made to use the transfer case you want. I have been unable to find one ready-made.
          Mark B. Jones

Originally posted by GrandWag&Prix
          Actually, now that I think about it, that could be either awesome or really terrible.

'79 Cherokee Chief "Junaluska"

Comment

• Eugene 1
            304 AMC
            • Feb 04, 2006

Originally posted by COLOFIREMAN
            Well I agree with you two as well!! If Ford was to ever pair with CAT, now that would be a mean truck!!!
            my dodge truck runs just fine and makes more power than most of the "other" 360s
            abd you still see lot of them on the road (Cummins) 1st gen as well as 2nd.
            JEEP
            2005 Ram 1500 HemI

Comment

• CutterN55
              350 Buick
              • Mar 09, 2009

4bt's and 6bt's

These are pretty sick. Thinking about doing it down the road. Lots of guys are talking about them being hard to find or expensive. Not really. Govliquidations.com. The military "la""la""la""la""la"cans tow tractors all the time to DERMO and most of them have these in them. Most are for sale for $150.00- You pick up. Check it out...
              ROMANS 12:1-2

Military guys- Check out www.MilitaryJeepers.com

'89 GW deceased
              Ford 4spd swap Np435/205
              Lifted/stretched on 36's/4.10 thick gears/spooled rear

'86 CJ-7 Renegade, Restored, original steel.
              new Built TBI 258/Np435/D300 twin-sticks/Waggy D44's
              37" Super Swampers and lots of goodies!

Comment

• KyooMac
                258 I6
                • Oct 26, 2006

The question was I have a 4L80E and without spending too much money, what diesel can I adopt?

Without spending too much money.

Comment

• rawdave
                  350 Buick
                  • Jun 13, 2000

I've had Ford guys tell me their next truck will have a cummins.
                  "You fancy people with your shoes."

87 Grand Wagoneer
                  2009 GMC 5.3L Vortec
                  Sterling 10.25 Rear
                  8 Lug J10 Front
                  TSM Mfg Rear Disk Brake Conversion
                  33 Gallon Rear Poly Tank

69 J-3000 Pickup
                  Plans:
                  2.8 Cummins Diesel Repower
                  6L90
                  Atlas Transfer Case

82 J-10 Pickup 258
                  Leave it as-is except to fix all the issues.

Comment

A 4L80E will bolt up to a GM Detroit 6.2/6.5L. The problem is that no one makes a T/C adapter for the 4L80. You would have to get a machinist to help you there or use a T/C from a Chev-GMC truck.

Ooops, sorry, I'm typing, not reading.
                    Mark B. Jones

Originally posted by GrandWag&Prix
                    Actually, now that I think about it, that could be either awesome or really terrible.

'79 Cherokee Chief "Junaluska"

Comment

• EnigmaticEngineer
                      232 I6
                      • Jan 05, 2010

I know I'm bumping an old thread, but...

I am personally going to be doing a diesel swap in the near future so I thought I'd throw my 2 cents in.

One person in this thread mentioned One little thing that it seems no one else thought to mention, Mercedes.

Mercedes came out with a Wonderful diesel engine called the OM617 in the late 70's and they are known for going well over 500,000 miles (saw a video of a Mercedes with 770,xxx and it still fired up like the day it was new) and supposedly had No major work done, just basic routine maintainence.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OM617 Wikipedia Article

I love the Cummins Engines, and I know many have swapped 4bt's and 6bt's into Waggys, cherokees, CJ's, YJ's, etc so don't get me wrong...

But I did a lot of research and put a ton of thought into this before I decided to go with the OM617 Mercedes Turbo Diesel.

3 Liters. 5 Cylinders. No Computers. Around 100hp and around 180ft lbs (the Pump and Boost can be 'turned up' a notch to make over 200ft lbs and Diesels do it at Low Rpm so its perfect for having power on the trail when you need it, IMHO)

For me, a MAJOR deciding factor was that Some of the Mercedes that carry this engine Get over 35mpg and weigh close to 4000 pounds...Our Waggy's are a bit heaver than that, but I still think I can get close to 30mpg when my swap is done.

You can purchase a good running Complete Mercedes 300D (whole car) with everything you'd need for a swap (Transmission, shift linkages/clutch pedal/etc) for less than you can typically purchase a 4bt or 6bt Engine alone.

I am choosing to run a divorced transfercase (NP 205) off of the stock Mercedes Transmission (Preferably a 5 speed in my case, but will work with an OD automatic if thats what comes my way)

Plenty of power, not overweight (compared to the Cummins equipment) and Awesome mileage...plus the possibilities to run it on WVO, Bio, Commercial Diesel, or Even Propane.

Personally, I am not a fan of Ford/Chevy Diesels. I agree with a previous poster that in basically stock trim, they are underpowered and overweight with too many little problems for me to want to mess with. (Fords and Glow Plug problems I have personally experienced in 2 different situations and older chevys wouldn't pull a sick kid off a toilet)

So...if I was in your boat of wanting to do a diesel swap, I would trade the Transmission you have for a divorced transfercase and find a Mercedes 300D to take the powertrain from and slip it in.

I think for me it is going to be a virtually painless engine swap (motor mounts, transmission crossmember, hang a divorced transfercase and have drivelines made). Ive done a few swaps in my life so far and This one should be much easier than the BBC502 in an S-10 I did about 4 years ago.

Just my opinions, when I discoverd the om617 it was literally love at first sight and I'm VERY impressed with their reliability.

Nathan.
                      1969 Jeep Wagoneer

Currently Sitting and Possibly for sale.

Photobucket
                      http://s196.photobucket.com/albums/a...ep%20Wagoneer/

Facebook: EnigmaticEngineer
                      Gmail: EnigmaticEngineer

Comment

• joe
                        • Apr 28, 2000

Originally posted by EnigmaticEngineer
                        I am personally going to be doing a diesel swap in the near future so I thought I'd throw my 2 cents in.

One person in this thread mentioned One little thing that it seems no one else thought to mention, Mercedes.Nathan.
                        The300d will barely move a 3600lb 123 series body let alone a half ton heavier FSJ.
                        Good motors but not enough for a FSJ unless you don't have freeway on ramps where you live.
                        The MB dsl motor you want is the inline 5 cyl from an early Sprinter Van or the later used V6 dsl but who can afford that just to save a few mpgs?
                        joe
                        "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• uglyjeep
                          232 I6
                          • Aug 20, 2007

I've driven a Mercedes 300d. It belonged to my great grandpa, and he bought it new. Because he was very old he drove it very little, so it has low mileage. It now belongs to my uncle (who builds diesel rockcrawlers for a living - so maintanence is not an issue).

That thing is slow!

The '82 Chevy c3500 flatbed that my 6.2 came from is a race car by comparison . Yes the Mercedes is an auto and the Chevy a manual - but that Mercedes is still a snail (but it does gets close to 40mpg...).
                          The eternal project -'87 6.2 diesel, '75 cherokee chassis, t-18 & dana 20, & WT dana 44's(rear lock-right, front trac-lok) , '67 j-3000 cab ('75 dash & pedals, '67 column, "leather" astro bench), '33 IH D-1 (Willys Six C-113) bed.

'66 cj-6a tuxedo park

Comment

• EnigmaticEngineer
                            232 I6
                            • Jan 05, 2010

I wouldn't call them Slow...

I have recently driven multiple in my search for a low mileage 300D. I personally wouldn't describe what I experienced as Slow...Certainly not Fast by Any measure, but not slow...0-60 times are just over 12 seconds with your foot in it. I personally don't consider that Slow for 3600 pounds and close to 40mpg.

One reason the car feels slow is one of the most common rear gear ratio's for a 300D is around 2.8 to 1 (2.65 to 3.07 depending on year and model) with a top speed around 110mph...torque multiplication helps acceleration significantly and the 300D's were certainly set up for economical daily driving, not to be a 'fast' car. It takes a LOT of torque to make Any vehicle with gearing around the 3.0's to feel Fast (as its not being Multiplied by as much a factor before it is delivered to the wheels...)

If you are running 33's or 35's and say, 4.11 gears, the 4 speed auto behind an OM617 will still deliver highway speeds and close to or over 30mpg in a Waggy (a 5 speed manual would be better still). Personally, I'm not looking to drag race a lifted, larger tire'd vehicle or cruise at 95mph. I'll take out the S-10 if I want to haul booty (at Speedworld Raceway in Surprise, Az. usually...was a BBC, now a 406SBC)

Another point, it is easy to have the pump squirt more go juice and have the turbo stuff it all in a little harder and significantly increase power output without sacrificing reliability under normal operating conditions. The AMG version cranked out some SERIOUS power (over 400hp)

Sorry to rant, but even looking at the OM617 swaps on Youtube clearly show that you can move a 4000+lb vehicle pretty well...

The fact is, with out purchasing anything aftermarket, it would be simple to make more torque than Any V6 or I6 that was ever installed in Any Wagoneer from the factory...(more boost, more fuel) If you consider the AMC 4.2 (approx 240ft lbs) engine a slow, inferior power plant then we are in agreement, it would be Slow.

A larger turbo + injection pump work (swap the elements for the larger versions offered and again, turn up the full load fuel delivery) and make similar or more torque compared to any stock V8 that came in any Wagoneer (over 400ftlbs) at the cost of efficiency... which is Not what I am looking to do, personally, but could be done none the less.

I certainly respect your opinions on the matter, I just happen to disagree. Check out youtube, some pretty nice OM617 swaps and even some 0-60 runs.

I hope this post is not taken the wrong way, I am not trying to ruffle feathers, but I am Confident in my decision to swap in a Turbocharged OM617. It will easily generate around 250ft lbs (or more on demand for short time use by using a boost controller as opposed to its current setup for limiting boost pressures) and adjusting the amount of fuel it delivers when boosted to those levels. They make 180ftlbs at 2400rpm Stock, limited to approx 8psi from the factory (most people seem to measure them waste gating around 7psi factory)

One more detail i checked on was that it weighs virtually the Same as a Built 401 (technically a few pounds less with a Claimed weight of 565 and the 401 tipping the scales with a claimed 601)

If you cruise Diesel forums, you will find Many Scouts, Cherokees, Comanche Trucks, Full size blazers, full size trucks, too many to list, that have OM617's that are 'turned up' and make well over 200ftlbs with only 12psi...the stock turbos will go up to around 18 or so I've read, though I never like to push equipment to its Actual limits.

Do consider that 4bt's only make 215ftlbs stock....and that is a Very popular FSJ swap...(and thats the highest Stock torque number I saw, many versions of the 4bt make less than 200ftlbs from the factory)

I can have an acceptable mileage Full running 300TD complete car for 2k or less and have every last little part (other than bits of steel for remaking brackets/crossmembers/motormounts/etc) to do the swap.

Again, sorry to rant...I feel I've done my homework and there are still many other reasons I find this engine handy (Max engine rpm is Significantly higher than the 4bt for getting the tires spinning in the mud, for another). I see this engine as a Lighter Weight Equally Powered Equally Reliable Much Cheaper 4bt.
                            Nathan

P.S. Absolutely NO disrespect meant to the posters (and non posters) who disagree with me and to be clear, I LOVE the 4bt and 6bt engines for many reasons, I'm just in love with the overall package the OM617 delivers for a fraction of the 4bt cost (at market value, special awesome deals excluded from that statement )
                            Last edited by EnigmaticEngineer; 02-01-2010, 12:30 AM.
                            1969 Jeep Wagoneer

Currently Sitting and Possibly for sale.

Photobucket
                            http://s196.photobucket.com/albums/a...ep%20Wagoneer/

Facebook: EnigmaticEngineer
                            Gmail: EnigmaticEngineer

Comment

• AMC-J/20
                              350 Buick
                              • Dec 17, 2009

My vote Cummins diesel !

Check this out:

Mike
                              1953 REO M48.
                              1962 GMC C3000.
                              1969 AMC AMX-390 Resto.
                              1971 AMC/Jeep J4000DRW.
                              1983 AMC Eagle project SX/290.
                              1988 AMC/Jeep project MJ/343.
                              1989 Jeep GrandWagoneer.
                              1991 Dodge Ram-Charger.

A M C Means Jeep to me

Comment

• e_digg
                                258 I6
                                • Oct 26, 2009

I had a MB 300D. It was the "Worlds Fastest Tractor"
                                1991 Grand Wagoneer
                                My 91 Phoenix Build Thread

Comment

Working...
                                X