• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KaiserMan
    I got the Willys....
    • Jun 21, 2005

4" post mount lift *done with pics*

The UPS guy dropped them off where my father works today, I won't see them untill around 5:30 tonight.
    Just my luck that it's going to snow all week now that I have the springs. I'll follow up with some measurements later.

[ December 11, 2005, 11:57 AM: Message edited by: KaiserMan ]
    Thomas Russell
    1987 Cherokee Laredo 2-Door 4.0/AW4
    1971 Gladiator
    J2000 Platform-Stake Dump 350/T18

1970 Gladiator J3000 3407Z Camper Truck 350/T18
    1968 Wagoneer Custom 327/TH400

• KaiserMan
    I got the Willys....
    • Jun 21, 2005

bushing and the length appear to be teh correct size. But they are only 5 leaf spring packs front and rear. For a half ton it should be 6 and 8. I'm going to e-mail them and find out the spring rate, I hope it's up to par. Edit: I just got an e-mail from Hell Creek and they said that I will be testing the spring rate, to see how it compares to the factory springs. They didn't answer my question about what the spring rate is of their springs though. I really hope it's at least the same as OEM.

[ November 21, 2005, 04:16 PM: Message edited by: KaiserMan ]
    Thomas Russell
    1971 Gladiator

Comment

• twisted frame
      350 Buick
      • Apr 01, 2003

Definitely looking forward to seeing how these springs work out on your truck. Thanks for checking these springs out for the post-mount crowd.
      Mike
      1973 J4000, 360 2bbl, T18, Model 20,
      44, 60-2, 32x11.5x15" on 15x8" CJ wagon wheels.
      Now in black primer.

Comment

• Stuka
        • Jan 21, 2001

The number of springs does not matter at all. As the spring rates can vary. Many 1/2 tons only had 2-4 leafs, it all depends ont he setup and GVWR. Most front lift springs have 4-5 springs, while the rears are generally 5 from what I have seen for FSJ's from all the different makers.

Comment

• KaiserMan
          I got the Willys....
          • Jun 21, 2005

I'm assuming that the spring rate is about equal to oem springs, but Hell Creek doesn't know what the spring rate is. weird isn't it? You would think that the company that made the springs would know what the rate is. Oh well, I'll bolt them on and see how they hold up with one ton of crap in the back.
          Thomas Russell
          1971 Gladiator

Comment

• Stuka
            • Jan 21, 2001

Perhaps they didnt get around to measuring it. Its not an exact science per say. You make the pack, and you think you will be close to a given rate, then you measure it, and see where you are.

Also, fewer leafs generally means they are stiffer, as the leafs are thicker. Grand wags often had 6-7 leaf front packs, as each one was very thin, for a smooth ride.

Comment

• KaiserMan
              I got the Willys....
              • Jun 21, 2005

The shims are aluminum, I think I'm going to re-use the old steel ones on my stock spring packs. Does the rear spring's arch look funny to you? Right near the shim? Sorry about the bad pics.

Thomas Russell
              1971 Gladiator

Comment

• Tad
                • Nov 30, 2001

Thomas, I have had some doubts and now am real worried.
                I see a spring pack that is not unifomly made.
                Look at the spring that is directly up from the wedge, then look at the next one up, do you see that gap?.
                (I understand and see that the spring pin bolt and wedge are forcing part of the pack straight).

Definatly ditch that POS AL wedge.

Get some pic's of the bushings.
                It just does not look correct to me and I do hope I am very wrong about this.
                2000 Infinity QX4, 3.3L, MPFI, 4 speed auto, 2 speed Nissan tcase, Unibody, IFS front, 4 link rear solid axle with 255-70/16s

IFSJA WMS PROJECT
                EARLY WAG LIFT SEARCH

...Pay no attention to these heathen barbarians with their cutting torches and 8" lift kits!...
                Self Inflicted Flesh Wound

Comment

• KaiserMan
                  I got the Willys....
                  • Jun 21, 2005

Yeah, I saw that gap to, the pic makes it look bigger then it is. The front springs look good, but the rears are a differant story. I guess I'll use the shims from my stock spring pack. Hell Creek said that they would send me as many springs as neccesary to get it right, maybe I'll take tehm up on that offer.

The OD on the rear spring bushing is off, because the rubber extends over the spring eye, and I can't get the actual OD measurment.

[ November 21, 2005, 08:48 PM: Message edited by: KaiserMan ]
                  Thomas Russell
                  1971 Gladiator

Comment

• Tad
                    • Nov 30, 2001

Well, I'm hoping it's just the pic also and that you do not have to go through any more waiting.
                    If you can, please try to write down any bushing numbers and their locations, that might really help someone out someday.
                    2000 Infinity QX4, 3.3L, MPFI, 4 speed auto, 2 speed Nissan tcase, Unibody, IFS front, 4 link rear solid axle with 255-70/16s

IFSJA WMS PROJECT
                    EARLY WAG LIFT SEARCH

...Pay no attention to these heathen barbarians with their cutting torches and 8" lift kits!...
                    Self Inflicted Flesh Wound

Comment

• Elkchaser1973wag
                      258 I6
                      • Oct 20, 2005

I have been follow your report Thomas as I was looking at buying a set of Hell creek springs. But I think I'll wait and see what you find out.
                      BJ's kit for the 73's is coming out in the next few weeks at least thats what the email said.
                      Matt or J.R.
                      "FSJ my Anti-Hummer"
                      "Toughest 4-Letter word on wheels. J E E P
                      1973 Wagoneer 360 4bbl Bone Stock 34,488 Orig. miles
                      Plans & Done: 4" lift from BJs ( Done).
                      Tires, bumpers( Front Done),
                      Winch( Done),
                      Rack Conferr( Done)
                      Edelbrock Carb ( Done)

Comment

Originally posted by Elkchaser1973wag:
                        I have been follow your report Thomas as I was looking at buying a set of Hell creek springs. But I think I'll wait and see what you find out.
                        BJ's kit for the 73's is coming out in the next few weeks at least thats what the email said.
                        these wont work for you.these are made for the j's,where BJ's are made for the wags
                        85 gw 215k and still going
                        castrated(de-wooded)360 2" espo springs 31x10.5
                        89 gw,free,almost legal

She can dance a Cajun rhythm,Jump like a Willys in four wheel drive,

the world is full of kings and queens who blind your eyes and steal your dreams

"Our militarized "law enforcement" has become the standing army our founders feared"

Comment

• billyrb
                          BJ's Off-Road
                          • Aug 15, 2001

[quote]Originally posted by talntar:
                          these wont work for you.these are made for the j's,where BJ's are made for the wags
                          Elkchaser has a Wag (not a J), so it'll work for his. And he's right, our post-mount kit was sent out for demo to a few folks a month or so back, and we had to make changes to the brakelines and ubolts. But, we got word yesterday that the new stuff fit perfectly. We are waiting for two more people to respond, then we'll release our kit. We know the springs work, and we have half a dozen sets sitting in our shop, ready to go.
                          BJ's Off-Road
                          [email protected]
                          Your source for '63-'91 FSJ Parts

Comment

• rockjeep44
                            The Advisor
                            • Oct 15, 2001

Couple things. First, I agree the AL shims are crap. Second, if the bushing sizes are off then that sucks. However, don't worry about the shape and or gaps of those springs. I've seen much much worse and that won't even come close to affecting anything once there is a little weight on them.
                            Buggy Buildup

Originally posted by welchct
                            There are about 5 trails that actualy have section that are upwards of 85* and climb 40-50 feet at this deg.
                            "The combination of fine split tail and fine whiskey will make any man lose focus." -FSJeeper

Comment

• Stuka
                              • Jan 21, 2001

Yeah, that gap should go away once weight is on them. I have seen penty of after market leaf packs that look similar.

Comment

Working...
                              X