X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Crankyolman
    350 Buick
    • Sep 27, 2017

Today I managed to get the extra headlights in and the bezels on Over my weekend I got the older style hood latch installed and the rhino grill back on. The small headlights aren't clocked quite perfectly but I can live with the little bit they are off.

Here are some pix

I ordered the bezels for the big headlights today, they should be in tomorrow. I also ordered some headlight wiring pigtails for the little ones because when I was at the junkyard the other week I forgot to get them off the '66 comet and they were about to send it to the crusher. It was actually less money to get them on Amazon than it would have cost in gas to go back to the junkyard. They should be in the day after tomorrow. I'm planning on making some covers for the brackets between turn signals and grill but I may just grind them off.

I'm very happy with my progress on the front end but getting kind of exasperated and bummed over trying to find someone to do the rust repair on the bed. I really don't see it as all that bad and don't think it would be all that difficult to do, I just don't have all that much time to work on it but I can't find anybody even willing to work on it, much less at a reasonable price. So i may just have to go ahead and buy an air compressor, welder and a few tools and see about tackling that myself even though I really don't want to. My wife said she is willing to learn to weld and take a stab at it, gotta love that. She spent a week in ICU and almost died on me 3 or 4 months ago and now she is all ready to get busy working on the truck. We just have so many other things to do. It might just be a long slow drawn out process to get this thing back to perfect.
    Last edited by Crankyolman; 02-08-2018, 08:19 PM.
    '72 J4500

Comment

• SOLSAKS
      304 AMC
      • Jul 25, 2016

hello cranky old man,

that front end and grille look awesome !!!

you are giving drivers that meet you something cool to look at,....

it must look mean coming down the road,...(nothing looks like a rhino grille)

and i love the lights you added and the custom work you did to achieve it.

much more fun to drive a cool old classic than a cookie cutter new car.

dave in NC
      SOLSAKS - dave
      1976 J-10 HONCHO Fleetside
      1982 J-10 Fleetside
      1988 grand wagoneer
      2004 RUBICON jeep
      Benson, NC

Comment

• Crankyolman
        350 Buick
        • Sep 27, 2017

Originally posted by SOLSAKS
        hello cranky old man,

that front end and grille look awesome !!!

you are giving drivers that meet you something cool to look at,....

it must look mean coming down the road,...(nothing looks like a rhino grille)

and i love the lights you added and the custom work you did to achieve it.

much more fun to drive a cool old classic than a cookie cutter new car.

dave in NC
        Thank you. It is much more fun to drive an old classic, especially one that you don't see every day and many people have never seen. I know the C10 and some of the other late 60's early 70's trucks made by the big 3 are hot right now but really those are quite common compared to an old Gladiator and the rhino really makes a statement. You know when you see a rhino grill coming at you that you are not looking at some old boring Chevy or Ford.
        '72 J4500

Comment

• Crankyolman
          350 Buick
          • Sep 27, 2017

The other day I got some headlight bezels from BJ's Offroad and they didn't have the shoulders for the screws so they are completely unusable So now I'm stuck waiting to hear from them before I know if they have something usable or if I have to go some other route. I'm actually considering some CJ bezels from Summit Racing or some early 50's Chevy bezels, either one looks like I can make them work but until I hear from BJ's the bezels are on hold. In the mean time I have been working on fabricating some cover plates for the lower razor grill mounts. Today I fabbed up some covers out of stainless steel for the brackets at the bottom of the header panel.

I started by making a paper template.

Once I got that how I thought it should be I cut and bent one out of aluminum.

After confirming the aluminum one fit I fabbed some out of some stainless steel I have.

One of the guys I work with is really good with a Tig welder so I got him to Tig weld them for me.

Then I ground and smoothed the welds to form corners and have begun polishing them.

Final fitment and polishing is going to take a while and I still haven't decided I want to keep the brackets they were made to cover but I'll finish them up, install them and see how I feel about it over time.

Here is what they look like at the moment

They need a bit more trimming, fitting and polishing but I kind of like them at the moment.
          '72 J4500

Comment

• Heavy_Metal_Thunder_81
            Cherokee Outlaw
            • Jan 10, 2006

I think the bezels that BJ's sell are in fact CJ bezels.

Truck looks great! The quad headlights really make the look.
            -Jonny B.
            1979 Cherokee Golden Eagle - UNDER CONSTRUCTION
            7" Alcan springs, BJ's HD shackles - 35x12.5x15 BFG Mud Terrains
            AMC 401 - Pro-Flo 4 EFI
            NV4500/NWF BB/NP205 - Triple Stick'd
            F D44 - 4.10, Eaton E-Locker
            R M23 - 4.10, Detroit Locker

1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
            1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
            1979 Wagoneer - Sold
            1981 Cherokee Chief - Cubed

Comment

• rang-a-stang
              Administrator
              • Oct 31, 2016

Originally posted by Heavy_Metal_Thunder_81
              Truck looks great! The quad headlights really make the look.
              I agree! When you first headed down this path I was thinking "I don't know man, may look awkward" but after seeing it with the 4 head lights installed, it really looks nice. Well done!
              Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
              (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
              (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
              79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
              (Cherokee Build Thread)
              11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
              09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
              00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• Crankyolman
                350 Buick
                • Sep 27, 2017

Personally, I really like the quad headlights. To me they look like what was originally intended whereas the pie plates never really looked like they belong. Finding those New Yorker headlight mounts made installation really easy and the Newport headlight bezels make it look like it has always been that way.

I'm very disappointed in the bezels from BJ's but do hope they have a set that isn't bad. Since I don't have rhino headlight mounting plates I already know a certain amount of adapting will be requires so I have been considering some stainless steel CJ bezels Summit sells or even some early 50s Chevy pickup bezels that cost a lot less than anything for a Jeep. Of course all that is pure speculation until I hear from BJ's who still haven't gotten back to me but I expect they will tomorrow.
                '72 J4500

Comment

• Frank Ziebert
                  327 Rambler
                  • Dec 04, 2016

You guys really need to quit giving me ideas. My resto is going to cost a fortune the way it is. But, dang I like those quads!
                  1970 J2000(2500) Currently undergoing frame off resto
                  Stinger 2005 Jeep Unlimited, Sahara, Rubicon slightly modified

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                    Administrator
                    • Oct 31, 2016

Originally posted by Frank Ziebert
                    You guys really need to quit giving me ideas. My resto is going to cost a fortune the way it is. But, dang I like those quads!
                    HAHAHAHAHAHAAH!!!!!! SO TRUE!!! HAHAHAHAHAH!!!
                    Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                    (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
                    (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
                    79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
                    (Cherokee Build Thread)
                    11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
                    09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
                    00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• Crankyolman
                      350 Buick
                      • Sep 27, 2017

I'm spending way more more on mine than I intended to. My wife and I were just discussing this year's budget to try to get the body work and paint done. She is dead set against me doing the paint myself but is coming around on the bodywork since we can't seem to find anybody willing to do the rust repair. If I had a proper shop she would be OK with it but there is so much else that needs done around the house. It has been many many years since I have done a paint job and if I wind up doing it myself I am going to do some weird complicated things like I used to do because I won't be able to help myself.

The rhino conversion in itself has been a bit pricey but the extra headlights were really quite reasonable when you get down to the actual parts used. The buckets and backing plates were $2.50 each, the chrome light bulb retaining rings were also $2.50 each, the bezels from the '68 Newport were kind of pricey at $40.75 delivered for 4 of them. I could have gotten some bezels off something else at the junkyard for $10.50 each but I think these were the best option. Wiring pigtails at the junyard are $2.75 but I got mine from Amazon for $7.98. Add in a couple dollars for hardware and wire splices and I got about $60 in them. I'm pretty sure that's close to what a decent set of pie pans will sell for on eBay so it could potentially be a wash. I could also have saves around $20 if I were more organized on my junkyard trips and gotten it done for around $40. I'm a cheap bastard but I think that was money well spent.
                      Last edited by Crankyolman; 02-13-2018, 07:45 PM.
                      '72 J4500

Comment

• JPSwapMohn
                        304 AMC
                        • May 01, 2004

Originally posted by Crankyolman
                        Here is what they look like at the moment

They need a bit more trimming, fitting and polishing but I kind of like them at the moment.
                        I dig the headlights and actually like the covers that you made for the grill mounting tabs...but... All I think about when I look at these pictures is the fact that they are going to catch and hold water, leading to rust. Or worse, leading to hidden rust that you only find later after it has eaten away your header/valence underneath.

But they sure are creative. If you don’t imagine going back to the original grill (and why would you after the quad lights and rhino?) I would recommend just grinding the mounting tabs off and welding up the little holes that will be left.
                        One day I will wake up and realize that my jeep is complete...one day, I just know it.

88Wag, LT1/4L60E/NP242, F150 fuel cell, discs, J20 axles, Truetrac & Grizzly, 3.73
                        http://imgbox.com/g/rNuIasKYrS
                        95YJ, STaK 300, D44's, SOA, ARB's, 4.56s, Bilsteins, 35" KM2's
                        50 CJ3A
                        77 J-10, 360/T-18/D20, SOLD

Comment

• Crankyolman
                          350 Buick
                          • Sep 27, 2017

Originally posted by JPSwapMohn
                          I dig the headlights and actually like the covers that you made for the grill mounting tabs...but... All I think about when I look at these pictures is the fact that they are going to catch and hold water, leading to rust. Or worse, leading to hidden rust that you only find later after it has eaten away your header/valence underneath.

But they sure are creative. If you don’t imagine going back to the original grill (and why would you after the quad lights and rhino?) I would recommend just grinding the mounting tabs off and welding up the little holes that will be left.
                          In truth I doubt I will ever want to reinstall the razor grill and may just grind the tabs off as we get nearer to paint. I have considered the possibility of moisture, you can't really see it in the pictures but I have designed it with clearance so moisture shouldn't be an issue, at least no more than it had when the razor was attached to it.
                          '72 J4500

Comment

• SOLSAKS
                            304 AMC
                            • Jul 25, 2016

the covers look nice....good job.

again,...nothing like a rhino coming at you on the road, GRRRRRRR !!!

way cool man.

dave in NC
                            SOLSAKS - dave
                            1976 J-10 HONCHO Fleetside
                            1982 J-10 Fleetside
                            1988 grand wagoneer
                            2004 RUBICON jeep
                            Benson, NC

Comment

• j10jim
                              327 Rambler
                              • Jan 11, 2003

Get a spot welder bit and drill the spot welds off those brackets. Then a bit of welding to close the holes up, grind it smooth and then prime. When you paint the truck you will be glad you got rid of the brackets and did it right. Those quad headlights look great!

Mine are slightly different
                              1980 J-10<br />Rusty\'s 4 inch lift<br />2 inch body lift,<br />35 in Xterrains on J20 axles<br />4:30 gears<br />Detroits<br />In-Cab cage thru the dash

Comment

• j10jim
                                327 Rambler
                                • Jan 11, 2003

here is mine
                                Attached Files
                                1980 J-10<br />Rusty\'s 4 inch lift<br />2 inch body lift,<br />35 in Xterrains on J20 axles<br />4:30 gears<br />Detroits<br />In-Cab cage thru the dash

Comment

Working...
                                X