• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tim smith
    232 I6
    • Jun 02, 2005

Vacuum mess, Emissions, and carbs questions

I am new to the SFJ world. I have a bunch of questions.

I have an 80 chero WT, 360, 727, 4x4. I am pretty sure it is stock. 94K miles. New tranny rebuild. I tore the carb down and unvarnished the inside and put it back together. It runs and drives but doesn't idle. Not sure what else will help to answer the questions. I did search and nothing really helped. I have been reading all the tech stuff too but I haven't gotten all the way through it yet.

First, what are the two metal lines that go from the carb to the intake manifold? They are brazed/welded to a little plate on the manifold. One of mine is rusted in two and the other is probably leaking. I do not know if they effect anything because they have always been in two.

Second, I want to run this on propane in the future, so I want to remove all the smog equipment and simplify the vacuum lines to the minimum need to run. What can I remove? Do I need to get any block off plates? If so from where or do I need to make them?

Third, why won't it idle. I have adjusted the idle screw (the one that pushes the throttle cable cam to a more open position) to were the motor wont stall but it sounds like it is about 1200 rpms. I have an adjustment screw on the left lower front of the carb that I haven't touched, but I didn't see one on the right side (without the brether cover and stuff on it).

Fourth, has anyone cut the roof off the FS Chero to get a Bronco type look? It has cancer bad and I am thing of cutting the entire back off, just behind the doors and make a flat bed on the frame. I will close off the cab so it is like a pick-up.

Shed some light for me please.
    Tim Smith<br />\'80 Chero WT, 360ci, 727 auto, 208tc. TFI upgrade. <br /><br />Soon to come: 4\" lift, 33s, welded rear, cut rear, tube bed, soft doors, fiberglass hood, custom grill, rust spots fixed, new paint, slider rockers, Propane, lots of TLC. I will be stripping everything that doesn\'t help it go down the road. I may even do a small blower if I can find one cheap.
  • PlumCrazy
    360 AMC
    • Oct 07, 2003

First, what are the two metal lines that go from the carb to the intake manifold?
    That is probably the choke, one side draws air up to the carb through the other side.

The cutting part is something they do over on the OffRoad Tech and those nuts...err people can help better if you post that question there.

Oh and Welcome to the madness, have you seen a doctor yet? If not then don't worry there is no cure for FSJ's

Wayne S
    My license plate says "Crazy" not stupid

1971 J4000 Buick 350/TH400 "Terra"
    *STATUS Down as a summer project*

Comment

• FSJnovice
      350 Buick
      • Dec 17, 2003

[QUOTE]Originally posted by PlumCrazy:
      Oh and Welcome to the madness, have you seen a doctor yet? If not then don't worry there is no cure for FSJ's

exactly
      Mike
      88 GW stock
      360/727/229
      project

Comment

• Keebler64
        230 Tornado
        • Jun 01, 2005

Do a search in this Section for "Vaccum and Smog" stuff. I just ripped everything out 2 weeks ago and posted a diagram.. Its pretty easy and only requires alittle tweaking, (if you're carb/timing is out of wack that is.

EDIT: Here, did it for ya. Smog Removal

[ June 08, 2005, 10:33 PM: Message edited by: Keebler64 ]

Comment

• Tim smith
          232 I6
          • Jun 02, 2005

So keep the ERG until I go to Propane and I should be fine.

Thanks all.

Edit: I went back and checked the thread but I didn't see a link or posted diagram. Keebler, do you still have a copy of the Diagram use could email to me? [email protected]

[ June 09, 2005, 07:19 AM: Message edited by: Tim smith ]
          Tim Smith<br />\'80 Chero WT, 360ci, 727 auto, 208tc. TFI upgrade. <br /><br />Soon to come: 4\" lift, 33s, welded rear, cut rear, tube bed, soft doors, fiberglass hood, custom grill, rust spots fixed, new paint, slider rockers, Propane, lots of TLC. I will be stripping everything that doesn\'t help it go down the road. I may even do a small blower if I can find one cheap.

Comment

• Keebler
            327 Rambler
            • Oct 13, 2004

The diagram is on page two, but... here

[ June 09, 2005, 08:33 AM: Message edited by: Keebler ]
            --Christopher Thomas--
            2002 Corolla

Past Vehicles:
            Wagoneers:'85,'83,'82,'81,'80,'79,'76,'75
            '00 Cherokee
            '04,'05 Honda Civic
            '04 Wrangler
            99 F250 PSD
            98, 02 Jetta TDI
            99 Passat Wagon
            79 Rabbit C
            78,85 Scirocco
            81,84 Cabriolet
            86 Golf
            91 Corrado
            85 300SD, Volvo V70, 2 Subaru Outbacks

Comment

• Tim smith
              232 I6
              • Jun 02, 2005

Thanks a bunch.

Comment

• Keebler
                327 Rambler
                • Oct 13, 2004

no prob
                --Christopher Thomas--
                2002 Corolla

Past Vehicles:
                Wagoneers:'85,'83,'82,'81,'80,'79,'76,'75
                '00 Cherokee
                '04,'05 Honda Civic
                '04 Wrangler