Canadian River Trip outside of Amarillo, TX... Anyone Interested?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dmntxn77
    Hey watch this...
    • Nov 19, 2004

Canadian River Trip outside of Amarillo, TX... Anyone Interested?

Even though Im currently FSJ'less (the search is on though) I still love them and love being around them.

I do however have my ZJ and will always love wheeling. Soooo, I have been considering putting together an event at the Canadian River outside of Amarillo, TX.

The time frame would be aftter September sometime. If I can get several of you guys interested, we can work out a good date and get the ball rolling.

It will be a fairly cheap event as long as you dont mind roughing it a little...

Camping is free, but there are no RV hookups that I know of off hand. We can take up as much space, put as many tents, and have as many campfires and we choose.

Plus its only about 20 minutes from Amarillo, so if you want to get a motel instead, that wont be a problem for you. Or, if you dont want to pay for a motel, but bring a wife (or whatever), that doesnt want to stink for a couple days, she can always load up with my wife and go to my house for a shower or whatever.

Anyway, the Canadian River OHV Area is 20,000+ acres of rock climbing, sand bogs, streams, mud, scenic trail rides, or you name it. It has trails that range from some so scary that I dont have nearly enough, you know what, to attempt; to easy two track trails, to wide open river beds... And yes, if you like water, and if it happens to rain this summer , it is legal to drive in, up, down, and across the river.

You are also free to bring your entire collection of guns and you can target shoot all you want. Isnt Texas awesome!!

Oh and yeah, yes, it will be hot here that time of year. However, Amarillo's elevation is over 3500' so the nights are almost always nice and cool...

Here are a few pics to give you an idea of what the scenery is like. Some of the climbs in these pics are taller and steeper than they look. They probably range from a 100-500' climb. There are dozens of them.

These rocky areas are much more difficult that the pics show too. I have some videos of some mild to difficult (not extreme) rock climbs but I dont know how to post them.

I dont seem to have any pics of the river area...

Anyway, here ya go..

Like I said... If this looks/sounds like something that you might be interested in, post up and we can get started...

Oh, and in case of any serious breakage, my house is only about 40 minutes away and I have a huge garage with all the tools and junk we could possibly need to get ya all fixed up.
    Last edited by Dmntxn77; 06-01-2013, 01:40 PM.
  • Dmntxn77
    Hey watch this...
    • Nov 19, 2004

Come on now... Not everyone all at once...

Comment

• Heimeken
      304 AMC
      • Nov 29, 2000

Mmmmmmm.........
      Sounds tempting
      '85 Grand Wagoneer "Caterpillar"
      401, NV4500, 3/4 ton gear

'79 Cherokee "The Sandgorgon"
      One Tons, SOA,T18 on 40's

78 J10 "Imoteb"
      J20 running gear and axles

Comment

• Dmntxn77
        Hey watch this...
        • Nov 19, 2004

Originally posted by Heimeken
        Mmmmmmm.........
        Sounds tempting
        Im sure we can make it a good time...

Comment

• Sambo
          AMC 4 OH! 1
          • Sep 25, 2001

sounds like a plan!
          gonna have to play this one by ear tho! my kids start school early-mid aug here. lol altho my boss told me to take vacation first week of oct.were having a shutdown here at work.
          robert do they require any kinda permit or anything over there? just trying to get a heads up on how much cash i would need for a trip over there
          77 chero DEAD.
          84wag,360,tf727,???! possiblities are d300 flipped and a ford d44 hp with coils

Comment

• Dmntxn77
            Hey watch this...
            • Nov 19, 2004

Originally posted by Sambo
            sounds like a plan!
            gonna have to play this one by ear tho! my kids start school early-mid aug here. lol altho my boss told me to take vacation first week of oct.were having a shutdown here at work.
            robert do they require any kinda permit or anything over there? just trying to get a heads up on how much cash i would need for a trip over there
            Im flexible... Early October would be likely be better weather than August. However, sometimes late October starts to get pretty cold. Im game for whatever though! I will be going there all year.

Yeah, you will need a Texas OHV decal for your vehicle. Its $16 and can be purchased here: http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/spdest/ohv/buy.phtml or we can get you one locally. We just need to pay attention to when you buy them and when the trip is since its good fiscal year to fiscal year. So, one today wont work in October.

Other than that, all you will need is a place to sleep, food to eat, and liquid to drink...

With a little luck its possible that I will have my trailer mounted smoker built by then so we can eat in style..

Comment

• Dmntxn77
              Hey watch this...
              • Nov 19, 2004

Oh, and as a reminder, camping is free. There are not really "spots", we can just pick a spot wherever...

Also... I've never bought an OHV decal before. I just found out about them a couple months ago... I suppose I will get one now that I know about them though. Lol

And... The more I think about it the more I like the late September - early October timeframe. MAYBE I will have my 1 tons under the ZJ by then.

Heineken, how does that timeframe work for you?

If we can get a time narrowed down we can start harassing the rest of the TX, NM, CO, OK, KS folks...

I know Irving knows his way to my house... Of course I'm afraid if he comes he will take more of my stuff and make it bigger and better again... Lol
              Last edited by Dmntxn77; 05-28-2013, 08:36 PM.

Comment

• Dmntxn77
                Hey watch this...
                • Nov 19, 2004

Just noticed that Las Cruces dates... No way two events will work at the same time. Sooo, unless the Las Cruces folks want to come to TX, we prolly don't want to try the same timeframe.

Comment

• Sambo
                  AMC 4 OH! 1
                  • Sep 25, 2001

i like to go wheeling this time of year,anywere! i know las cruces well enough but would like to change it up! and wheel something diffrent.
                  never been to amarillo before,hows the roads getting there? flat? i have been thru lubbock many times,and its flat! reason i am asking is i tow with a half ton truck cant afford a 1 ton diesel
                  77 chero DEAD.
                  84wag,360,tf727,???! possiblities are d300 flipped and a ford d44 hp with coils

Comment

• Dmntxn77
                    Hey watch this...
                    • Nov 19, 2004

Sounds good to me....

This whole area is pretty flat... You may come across some slow rolling elevation changes, but nothing significant. It's at least as flat, if not more flat here than Lubbock...

It looks like from there to here you will be on 214 most of the way and I've never taken that road. Given the area though, I would assume that you would be just fine.

Pretty short drive too... From my house to Carlsbad is only 279 miles...

Comment

• Dmntxn77
                      Hey watch this...
                      • Nov 19, 2004

For directions to the river turn-off, you can put this in google maps:

26526–26532 US-287, Amarillo, TX 79108, United States

Comment

• Wagoneer-ing
                        232 I6
                        • Sep 14, 2012

I'd be interested if I can get my Jeep ready to drive. I don't think I'll have it lifted or quite intense trail ready though. It's just stock height, springs, etc, so I may end up just having to ride with one of you guys.
                        1968 M715 - Resto-Mod, Ford Dana 60/Sterling 10.25, AMC 360/727/208, 37" hummer tires, metal hard top, and a ton of work to do!

Comment

• Michael
                          AMC 4 OH! 1

• Sep 11, 2001

One question,

How BIG are the rocks?
                          1994 YJ
                          Amc 360
                          TF727
                          Stak 3 speed
                          44" Pitbull Rockers on Trailworthy H1's
                          Rockwells

76' Wagoneer
                          401....new project

Tow Rig Daily Driver// 2007 6.7 CTD Dually

Comment

• Dmntxn77
                            Hey watch this...
                            • Nov 19, 2004

Originally posted by Wagoneer-ing
                            I'd be interested if I can get my Jeep ready to drive. I don't think I'll have it lifted or quite intense trail ready though. It's just stock height, springs, etc, so I may end up just having to ride with one of you guys.
                            That shouldnt be a problem... There is a lot of wide open sandy areas, trails, and some hill climbs that a stock Waggy should do just fine on. An extra passenger seat should also be easy enough to find.

Originally posted by Michael
                            One question,

How BIG are the rocks?
                            I dont have a ton of experience out there yet, but I have came across some stuff that I wouldnt have a chance of going over with my current 33"s even with a front locker and rear LSD.

I watched a guy in a locked buggy on 49"s get his keister kicked on one spot for sure...

Since it looks like some of you big rig guys are showing interest, I will head out there and do some scouting soon. Ive heard that there is a lot of harder stuff that I havent even seen yet.

Like I said, its over 20,000 acres so that is a lot of ground to cover...

Comment

• Wagoneer-ing
                              232 I6
                              • Sep 14, 2012

Well even if I can't get my Jeep running it would be cool to go down there and get together to see the other FSJs and see what all of you guys are doing with them.
                              1968 M715 - Resto-Mod, Ford Dana 60/Sterling 10.25, AMC 360/727/208, 37" hummer tires, metal hard top, and a ton of work to do!

Comment

Working...
                              X