• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Brynjminjones
    258 I6
    • Jun 11, 2017

1991, D44 Rear End Noise/End Play

Ever since I got my '91 Grand Wag (3 years/20,000 miles ago) it's had a noise from the rear end.

At first I thought it was old tires (it had barely been driven in years) but a new set didn't change anything.

It's a low-pitch "whoosh" kind of noise, which corresponds with every rotation of the wheel.
    It gets faster with vehicle speed but not louder.
    It's no different whether I'm on/off the throttle, and also unaffected by corners.

It's most obvious in the ~30mph kind of range. Above 50 it's quick enough that you can't hear it.

Last time the rear axle fluid was changed, everything looked to be in good condition.

This is making me think it might be wheel bearings, but I wouldn't have thought they would have lasted this long making this noise.

I've just jacked the back end up, and you can definitely hear the noise when rotating the wheels by hand, although only moving relatively quickly. I couldn't quite tell where it was coming from though.

I also checked for end play, and found that both rear wheels have a noticeable amount of play when pushed/pulled.

Can you help me figure out where to look first?

Here's a video with the noise. On my PC speakers it first become noticeable around the 10-12 second mark:
    Video link

Thank you in advance!
    1991 Grand Wagoneer - Hunter Green. All stock. Rebuilt 360, .030" over with Melling MTA-1 cam.

1998 Cherokee (XJ) 4.0
    1997 Grand Cherokee (ZJ) 4.0
    1974 Ford F100 390
  • fulsizjeep
    Señor Jackhead
    • Aug 21, 2002

Originally posted by Brynjminjones
    I also checked for end play, and found that both rear wheels have a noticeable amount of play when pushed/pulled.
    With that bit of info, I would plan on new axle bearings.
    Flint
    Ran when parked.
    http://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac
    88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s with a few Evil Twin & TT's Fabworks mods
    76 401 Wag, 77 401 Wag, 77 401 J20
    http://eviltwinfab.com http://www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

I would first make sure the rear wheels aren’t pressing in on the outer ring of the drums and the brakes aren’t dragging. Then you will need 24 flat washers to fit over the wheel studs but not interfere with the hub raised center flange. Put one set between drum and flange then between wheel and drum. That should space it enough to test.
      The Model 20 in my ‘83 Cherokee made a loud Boeing 747 taking off at full throttle noise even in town but it got quiet over 60 mph. (All thanks to Q-no-lube who drained it and sent me on my way. It still lasted till I sold it 5 years later.
      Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental.

Comment

• rocklaurence

• Jan 14, 2009

Yeah, check to see if brakes are dragging/drums warped by adjusting the pads in/lose and test. Make sure to re-adjust the pads when done. I also had a loud squeaking noise do to a dry Ujoint bearing. That one was weird

Comment

• tgreese
          • May 29, 2003

Following Flint's lead, first thing I would check is the bearings at each rear wheel. Usually they go tick-tick-tick when they are approaching failure, but maybe not here. These bearings fail pretty often, particularly when overloaded. Who knows how many bags of cement the PO hauled at once in this Wagoneer.
          Tim Reese
          Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
          Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
          Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
          GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
          ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

• J20 project
            304 AMC
            • Dec 27, 2000

sounds like axle bearings. When jacked up you said you had end play. Did you put a large bar under the tire and lift up and down? That seems to be my go to method checking those types of bearings.

J20
            BP Drivetrain...........

Driveshafts for all Jeeps, Constant velocity rebuilds, Replacement, Repair
            775-537-7918

https://www.facebook.com/BPShafts/

Putting this back up. "Someone is gonna have to crawl under the rig"

Comment

• Brynjminjones
              258 I6
              • Jun 11, 2017

Thank you all, it looks like I'll get the parts ordered for the rear bearings. I've not tried putting a large bar under the tire but will do when I get a few minutes.

When I'm in there I'll pay close attention to the brakes too!

Apart from the bearings themselves, are there any other parts I need when replacing them?
              Also, are there any brands of bearing to avoid? I usually buy Timken or National.
              1991 Grand Wagoneer - Hunter Green. All stock. Rebuilt 360, .030" over with Melling MTA-1 cam.

1998 Cherokee (XJ) 4.0
              1974 Ford F100 390

Comment

• tgreese
                • May 29, 2003

Originally posted by Brynjminjones
                Thank you all, it looks like I'll get the parts ordered for the rear bearings. I've not tried putting a large bar under the tire but will do when I get a few minutes.

When I'm in there I'll pay close attention to the brakes too!

Apart from the bearings themselves, are there any other parts I need when replacing them?
                Also, are there any brands of bearing to avoid? I usually buy Timken or National.
                Timken or National would be good. There's a kit that includes the seal, the bearing and retainer ring. The retainer plate, seal, bearing and ring are all assembled to the axle shaft and it goes in the housing with the brake backing plate against the axle end. You'll need a press. When you pull the axles out, have some haywire or coat hanger within reach, to hang the backing plates from the frame.
                Last edited by tgreese; 07-22-2020, 09:59 AM.
                Tim Reese
                Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
                Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
                Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
                GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
                ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

• Brynjminjones
                  258 I6
                  • Jun 11, 2017

Thank you Tim, I've now got all my parts ordered so just a few days to wait until they get here. I went for everything from Timken as I've been pleased with their products in the past.

I've not got a press unfortunately, so I'll be getting a friend with a workshop to do it for me.

Fingers crossed this sorts my noise out, but even if not the bearings need doing either way!

1998 Cherokee (XJ) 4.0
                  1974 Ford F100 390

Comment

• Brynjminjones
                    258 I6
                    • Jun 11, 2017

I finally got the new wheel bearings installed today.

Spent all afternoon doing it at my friend's workshop, as usual the Wagoneer fought us every step of the way.

The old bearings were in terrible condition with loads of pitting.
                    With the new ones in, it's 100% quiet!

I couldn't be happier, it's the first time since I've owned it that it feels like it's rolling smoothly.

I was fearing that it needed a rear end rebuild but it was just simple bearings all along

1998 Cherokee (XJ) 4.0
                    1974 Ford F100 390

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                      Administrator
                      • Oct 31, 2016

Wooo hooo!! That's great news! Glad to hear it. Did you replace your shocks and springs too (mentioned in your other thread)?
                      Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                      (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
                      (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
                      79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
                      (Cherokee Build Thread)
                      11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
                      09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
                      00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• Brynjminjones
                        258 I6
                        • Jun 11, 2017

Thanks, I was pretty happy to say the least!

I've discovered that I messed the job up though so I'm going to have to do it again, but at least I know what I'm doing now (see another one of my threads - http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=189084 - I hadn't realised how many threads I've made lately!).

Shocks are replaced which has made a bit of a difference, but springs will have to wait. We bought our first house earlier this year and I'm being told that the Jeep can't take priority for a little while!

1998 Cherokee (XJ) 4.0
                        1974 Ford F100 390

Comment

Working...
                        X