• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wagnstuff
    232 I6
    • Apr 30, 2012

windshield wiper replacement ??

I need, at least the passenger side, wiper b/c the replacements I bought at local auto store only sells ones that are flat....the problem is the passenger side needs to be curved. Can anyone offer a solution to this? Where to buy?
    1989 GW 3'' lift, locking Airlocker rear, 408i FI crate motor(Chrysler)
  • RamJetFSJ
    350 Buick
    • Jul 18, 2001

Im pretty sure the pressure of the springs in the wiper curve to match the windshield. I dont think they sell pre-curved wipers. Its pretty normal for a new wiper not to touch completely on the extreme end of the passenger side when its at rest, atleast mine did (old Stainless wiper arms).
    Ben
    1980 Wagoneer - Ram Jet 350, 700R4, NP208, 4" lift, 33x10.5 tires.

Comment

• gopher_6_9
      232 I6
      • Aug 22, 2012

Maybe try a beam style like a rain-x latitude or a could PIAA blade?
      1983 Cherokee W/T

Comment

• ShagWagon
        350 Buick
        • Apr 10, 2016

I live on Oregon coast and use PIAA on all my vehicles. 126" a year rainfall avg here.
        87 GW- Fitech EFI,Fitech FCC,Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift,BFG AT KO2 30",Dynamax muffler,MSD distributor,MSD 6al box,Blaster2 coil,ACCEL 8mm,.045 gap,Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake,Elgin perf cam,HD alum radiator,Powermaster 150alt,Alum HD H2O pump,Serhills tailgate harness,Cowl screen mod,Evil Twin grab handles,Rstep's custom AMC lock knobs

Comment

• rang-a-stang
          Administrator
          • Oct 31, 2016

Every wiper i have seen misses that last tiny wedge on the bottom passenger side as the windsheild curves. Is that what you are talking about? If so, I am not sure if any wipers will get that spot...
          Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
          (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
          (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
          79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
          (Cherokee Build Thread)
          11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
          09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
          00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• Wagnstuff
            232 I6
            • Apr 30, 2012

Originally posted by rang-a-stang
            Every wiper i have seen misses that last tiny wedge on the bottom passenger side as the windsheild curves. Is that what you are talking about? If so, I am not sure if any wipers will get that spot...
            yes, but its not just a 'tiny edge', its several inches.....this wiper is NOT covering the glass...the original one did....with flexible aspects of the wiper hugging the windshield. I thought about trying a flat 'blade' type for proper coverage, if not, I was inquiring with all of you guys about a source for original. I'll take into consideration the PIAA ones too now.
            1989 GW 3'' lift, locking Airlocker rear, 408i FI crate motor(Chrysler)

Comment

• rang-a-stang
              Administrator
              • Oct 31, 2016

Gotcha. What do have now? I assume yours are the same as my 79's. If so and if you have the original stainless arm, you can buy refills for them: Trico Part #43-160

If not, this thread has some advice on good wipers:
              I have gone through 2 sets of wipers. I was wondering what wiper brand seems to work best in the cold snow rain? Wipers I am using now dont conform to the winshield very well when its cold out and the original pair were horrible. Has anyone have any recomendations? I was told to get silicone wipers but I think the wiper problem
              Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
              (Cherokee Build Thread)
              00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• kansasboy001
                232 I6
                • Nov 06, 2016

Trico 162 are the closest you can get to factory style. Work better than the frame blades you get at parts stores.
                Last edited by kansasboy001; 06-22-2018, 08:17 PM.
                1983 Cherokee Laredo. 360/ 727/ np228/ Junkyard 7427 TBI/ Msd ignition

Comment

• 661warwagon
                  232 I6
                  • Apr 21, 2016

Do you still need one?

Comment

• JeepJeepster
                    350 Buick
                    • Sep 04, 2014

Originally posted by ShagWagon
                    I live on Oregon coast and use PIAA on all my vehicles. 126" a year rainfall avg here.
                    Are you using the PIAA super silicone wipers? I just replaced the wipers on two of my jeeps with these and so far so good. Ive not used them in the winter yet which is where all other brands of wipers struggle (they skip). I cant stand the beam style wipers so those are out of the question.

Originally posted by Wagnstuff
                    yes, but its not just a 'tiny edge', its several inches.....this wiper is NOT covering the glass...the original one did....with flexible aspects of the wiper hugging the windshield. I thought about trying a flat 'blade' type for proper coverage, if not, I was inquiring with all of you guys about a source for original. I'll take into consideration the PIAA ones too now.
                    It confuses me when you say 'the original one did.' Ive got to image you didnt just replace the original wipers on your jeep so what brand was on it before you replaced them? If you were happy with those why not try to purchase those?
                    2004 Jeep Liberty
                    1998 Jeep ZJ 5.9
                    1994 Jeep ZJ I6
                    1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 360

Comment

• ShagWagon
                      350 Buick
                      • Apr 10, 2016

Originally posted by JeepJeepster
                      Are you using the PIAA super silicone wipers? I just replaced the wipers on two of my jeeps with these and so far so good. Ive not used them in the winter yet which is where all other brands of wipers struggle (they skip). I cant stand the beam style wipers so those are out of the question.

It confuses me when you say 'the original one did.' Ive got to image you didnt just replace the original wipers on your jeep so what brand was on it before you replaced them? If you were happy with those why not try to purchase those?
                      Yeah PIAA super silicone. You wipe it on with a wet wipe after you thouroghly clean your windshield. Then it creates a silicone barrier that repels water. I switched to those specifically after I found out you can't buy refills anymore. You have to buy the whole blade. PIAA sells just the blade refills. Cheaper in the long run too.
                      87 GW- Fitech EFI,Fitech FCC,Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift,BFG AT KO2 30",Dynamax muffler,MSD distributor,MSD 6al box,Blaster2 coil,ACCEL 8mm,.045 gap,Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake,Elgin perf cam,HD alum radiator,Powermaster 150alt,Alum HD H2O pump,Serhills tailgate harness,Cowl screen mod,Evil Twin grab handles,Rstep's custom AMC lock knobs

Comment

• 440sixpack
                        327 Rambler
                        • Jul 21, 2016

just put the original ones on they fit and look the best. they're on ebay cheap all the time.

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                          Administrator
                          • Oct 31, 2016

Originally posted by 440sixpack
                          just put the original ones on they fit and look the best. they're on ebay cheap all the time.
                          Truth. Right there is the truth.
                          Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                          (Cherokee Build Thread)
                          00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• letank
                            AMC 4 OH! 1
                            • Jun 03, 2002

if you have patience and time to waste , such as waiting for a broken ankle to heal, I have another 3 weeks to go before cast removal, you can deconstruct the refill and install it in your oem wiper blade holder , trico 45-160
                            Last edited by letank; 07-01-2018, 12:23 PM.
                            Michel
                            74 wag, 349Kmiles on original ticker/trany, except for the rust. Will it make it to the next get together without a rebuilt? Status: needs a new body.
                            85 Gwag, 229 Kmiles. $250 FSJ test lab since 02, that refuses to give up but still leaks.

Comment

Working...
                            X