X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FS/Fully-

FS-

You're KILLING me, again.

Sigh. That mill is sweet, as is the ride.

Yeah- 1st 66 Marlin, back in '04. 327 4V, buckets, FS/Console, PS/PB. Factory vinyl top trim (black), Caballero Tan Poly. 2nd 66 Marlin, '06. 327 4V, bench seat, deep 'tealish-blue' (Marina Blue?). 'True dual' pipes, no crossover. It sounded like no other V8 I've ever owned.

Love old Nashes and Ramblers, as well as old Jeeps.

Fully- CONGRATS!!! Truly hope you can make a go of it. They really are a sweet mill. Just do the due maintenance dilligence, and it'll go mile after mile. Smooth, but with punch if needed. I'm sure you can get advice and help on info and parts from the guys here.

Would be great to hear about another Vigilante FSJ prowling about.

I remember learning about the Oz DMV-type guys, good grief- an 'engineering report' to change rims??? Or the one about Victoria, IIRC- if you're under 21, you can't drive a V8?? WTH, over? I loved visiting OZ way back when- nice folks, neat scenery, decent food....but I thought Yankee laws were wacky, boy I didn't know nothing!

Comment

• fully standard jeep
      232 I6
      • Apr 05, 2006

UPDATE

well its been 2 years
      i got the motor ,have been cleaning it up , Australian customs , made a bit of a mess inspecting the engine , damaged a rocket cover and lost some bits otherwise it badly needed a clean , checked engine oil almost looked new .... changed it anyway , and spent some time building an engine stand for it and checking out its problem arias ..... any clogged or blocked oil journals , was also told about distributor gear and other plastic parts to look for signs of wear ,age . and given the engine a lick of paint .

but found out i need a unique input shaft to fit a 4 speed (T98/T18 , anyone out there got one to spare ??

Comment

• tgreese
        • May 29, 2003

Originally posted by fully standard jeep
        ... found out i need a unique input shaft to fit a 4 speed (T98/T18 , anyone out there got one to spare ??
        What transmission do you have now? Do you have the bell housing for the T-98 used with the 327? You might find the long T-18 input shaft used with later V8s separately from the rest of the transmission, but your bell housing is meant to bolt up to a Jeep case, T-98 or T-18. And I'm pretty sure the 327 only came with the T-85/T-89, the T-98, or the TH400. Kinda doubt you can use a T-18 input shaft in a T-98 or vice-versa.
        Tim Reese
        Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
        Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
        Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
        GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
        ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

• fully standard jeep
          232 I6
          • Apr 05, 2006

hi tgreese

i know there where T98's behind the 327 , have part numbers (1965-72 (T18C) 14"- 8 Cyl. S27-L17T 940505 T18-16D [/font]) and some measurements ( Wagoner Gladiator AMC 327 Engine T18 4Spd 10 Spine 17 27 Teeth 14 OAL) i even found one on ebay , but it had been sold , but looking for a larger group of jeep people , who may know a guy/ place that might have something ........ because here in Australia they don't exists

i have rang some online jeep parts suppliers but there are alot not online or with unique names that typing jeep wreckers wont bring up
          any help would be appreciated

thanks
          Last edited by fully standard jeep; 05-10-2018, 07:43 PM.

Comment

• tgreese
            • May 29, 2003

What do you have now (a 232? a T-98?) and what are you trying to do?

The AMC 327 is a unique bell pattern - only the AMC 250, 287 and 327 V8s have that bell pattern. The Jeep 327 to T-98 bell housing is unique. There are no substitutions. The T-98 used with the Jeep 327 is unique, and only works with the Jeep 327 bell housing. You could probably find these parts in the USA with some searching. They will be very scarce, but demand is also very low.

If you have a truck with a 232 and you think you can drop in the 327 easily, you are mistaken. There are many changes between the inline 6 and V8 Wagoneers and J-trucks. Transmissions are different. Radiators are different. Core support is different. Battery placement is different. Bell housing and clutch parts are different. Driveshafts are different. Many changes.

If you have the short shaft T-98 for an inline 6 now, it is unlikely you will find a long input shaft without the rest of the transmission. You will also need the correct bell housing that works with the long input shaft. Jeep Wagoneers and trucks are the only application for the 327 with a T-98. It's likely that Jeep only made a few thousand of these vehicles in each year of production, so not many parts are available now.
            Last edited by tgreese; 05-11-2018, 08:00 AM.
            Tim Reese
            Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.

Comment

• fully standard jeep
              232 I6
              • Apr 05, 2006

hi tgreese

i have a AMC 232 with T98 and am putting in a AMC 327 in front of the T98

i got a 327 with bell housing and flywheel , as well as all the clutch parts
              i was worried about that too , all the jeep bell housings were unique 230, 232, 327, 350 as well as there input shafts at the time
              but what i also learned was the gearbox bolt pattern was standardized (ford jeep and international scout )

and i have bolted everything together bell housing to gearbox , no problems and motor and box to chassis , no problems
              my radiator and support are not the smaller sinner radiator like for the 230 it is mush wider , i did not think to check the battery tray or driveshafts , will have to look back in to that

but will have to work out the clutch as it is on the wrong side for me , but will work on that problem when i get to it

your quite right , i have had to accepted that if i find the input shaft ill probably have to buy the box but im ok with that ... as long as i can find one
              at the moment just searching for the input shaft to solve this current problem then will work on the next hurtle
              Last edited by fully standard jeep; 05-11-2018, 09:56 AM.

Comment

• airman
                232 I6
                • Jul 21, 2010

I think I have the frame and motor mounts from a 1967 Wagoneer with a 327.
                Will you need these.
                I will look this weekend.

Andrew
                1969 J3000 Dauntless 350, T15, D20
                1970 CJ6 Dauntless 350 , T350, D20
                1951 CJ3A in the wings

Comment

• SC/397
                  Administrator
                  • Feb 01, 2010

My Cousin has a stash of 287's and 327's. He rebuilds them and sells them if anyone is still looking for one. Send me a PM and I will give his phone number. We built this one a few years ago with a Torker intake from a GenII AMC engine.
                  Rebel_327_X-a by Rick Jones, on Flickr
                  The Squeaky Wheel gets replaced in my world

Comment

• tgreese
                    • May 29, 2003

Originally posted by fully standard jeep
                    hi tgreese

i have a AMC 232 with T98 and am putting in a AMC 327 in front of the T98

i got a 327 with bell housing and flywheel , as well as all the clutch parts
                    i was worried about that too , all the jeep bell housings were unique 230, 232, 327, 350 as well as there input shafts at the time
                    but what i also learned was the gearbox bolt pattern was standardized (ford jeep and international scout )
                    Yep, we are on the same wavelength.

Though I'm sure you are mistaken about the Ford and IHC being the same as Jeep. The T-98 case should be the Jeep truck 4-speed pattern, same as the Jeep T-18. The Ford pattern is left-right symmetric and different from Jeep in one bolt location, and I recall the IHC is wildly different, using studs instead of bolts in a completely different pattern. The Jeep input shaft you need will be unique (in the proper usage of "unique") to this application. Not just unusual, but unique.

I suggest you contact Montana Overland and Jake's (link at the top of the forum) to see if they have something for you. Also suggest you take a look at the parts book at www.oljeep.com and compare the PNs for what you have to anything that may be related: bearing retainer, release arm, all the clutch linkage parts, and if you find a donor, get as much of it as you can.
                    Tim Reese

Comment

Working...
                    X