• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mdcptman
    Jeep Therapist
    • Apr 09, 2010

1979 Jeep Wagoneer | Frontal Crash Test by NHTSA | CrashNet1 79 Wagoneer

Very interesting!

Impact speed: 30mphDriver-PassengerHead injury criteria(HIC):Driver-720, Passenger-823Thumbs up for the crash test dummies!New crash test videos every week.S...
    Member FSJ Prissy Restoration Association
    88 Grand Wagoneer
    360/727/NP208/dana 3.31s
    Edelbrock 2131
    Holley 600
    Hydroboost
    Hedman headers
    Dual exhaust
    MSD6A, TFI
    Digital Gauges
    Rusty's 2" Lift
    31x10.5 15LT15s
    Quote From Friend's Mom:
    "You don't rely on that vehicle do you?"
  • Mike D
    350 Buick
    • Jul 29, 2002

ouch .. took the neck to the steering wheel ....

BTY .. how much weight was in the back of the thing ?
    64 Wagoneer 283 SBC
    50 truck
    63 J-200 Truck -- help bring home

Please, if you believe in the power of prayer, God and Jesus Christ... I beg you add my relationship with Heather Boyd to be reconciled to a new, stronger than ever, wonderful marriage ... to your prayer list and remember us daily.

Addendum:
    And now that im getting Divorced .. i want to work on it , but no one else does -- ^ -- Heather, please leave your affair with Josh Smith and come back to the father of your children

Comment

• Heavy_Metal_Thunder_81
      Cherokee Outlaw
      • Jan 10, 2006

Man, I really wish YouTube worked out here in the middle of the ocean...
      -Jonny B.
      1979 Cherokee Golden Eagle - UNDER CONSTRUCTION
      7" Alcan springs, BJ's HD shackles - 35x12.5x15 BFG Mud Terrains
      AMC 401 - Pro-Flo 4 EFI
      NV4500/NWF BB/NP205 - Triple Stick'd
      F D44 - 4.10, Eaton E-Locker
      R M23 - 4.10, Detroit Locker

1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
      1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
      1979 Wagoneer - Sold
      1981 Cherokee Chief - Cubed

Comment

• mdcptman
        Jeep Therapist
        • Apr 09, 2010

One of the coolest things about the video is that it gives lingering panoramic views of the engine and underside of the jeep. Might be helpful for those who are restoring and old one....
        88 Grand Wagoneer
        360/727/NP208/dana 3.31s
        Edelbrock 2131
        Holley 600
        Hydroboost
        Hedman headers
        Dual exhaust
        MSD6A, TFI
        Digital Gauges
        Rusty's 2" Lift
        31x10.5 15LT15s
        Quote From Friend's Mom:

Comment

• 8man
          304 AMC
          • Jan 04, 2011

Remind me not to try that in RT! Ouch.
          79 Cherokee S (current project)
          82 Cherokee (parts for the 79)

Comment

• mdcptman
            Jeep Therapist
            • Apr 09, 2010

I have to remind u!?
            88 Grand Wagoneer
            360/727/NP208/dana 3.31s
            Edelbrock 2131
            Holley 600
            Hydroboost
            Hedman headers
            Dual exhaust
            MSD6A, TFI
            Digital Gauges
            Rusty's 2" Lift
            31x10.5 15LT15s
            Quote From Friend's Mom:

Comment

• Ristow
              • Jan 20, 2006

yeah,these things are safe. buy one for your daughter.
              Originally posted by Hankrod
              Ristows right.................again,

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
              ... like the little 'you know what's' that you are.

I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...

Comment

• Ghinmi
                Super Moderator

• Jul 02, 2004

I've seen that before, surprised me how much the roof moved forward. And the frame buckling under the front seats. And just think, that was when they were new. Imagine how well they hold up after years of metal fatigue and rust.
                Yep, I know my PM box is full. Email me instead.

1983 Cherokee WT - IFS, trailing arm rear, full cage, Hemi, 6 speed, turbocharged - Autocross project
                http://ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=127321

Comment

• Ristow
                  • Jan 20, 2006

yah,you're fine till you get into the 10's at least.

I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...

Comment

• bg2pres
                    258 I6
                    • Dec 07, 2003

The best part was the preview... Video of an original Wagoneer, close up.
                    bg2pres
                    1979 Jeep Cherokee Golden Eagle
                    1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
                    2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
                    1981 Jeep Scrambler Laredo CJ8 (sold)
                    2000 Jeep Wrangle TJ Sahara (sold)

Comment

• cherokee83
                      258 I6
                      • Oct 12, 2006

I'm not surprised,,in fact I'm happy with out come,,after 20 plus years this wagoneer handle that test like a 5 yr. Old baby,,know keep in mind had that been a 2013,,both passenger and driver would be dead or close to it,,from 1986 and up,,they built cars trucks jeeps to have crush zones,,that give at 5 mph,,just think what will happen if hou run into a building at 40 plus mph you will kill everyone in vehicle with you,,said but true,,more people die in cars trucks jeeps just going 20 mph ,,,crazy

Comment

• Ristow
                        • Jan 20, 2006

Originally posted by cherokee83
                        I'm not surprised,,in fact I'm happy with out come,,after 20 plus years this wagoneer handle that test like a 5 yr. Old baby,,know keep in mind had that been a 2013,,both passenger and driver would be dead or close to it,,from 1986 and up,,they built cars trucks jeeps to have crush zones,,that give at 5 mph,,just think what will happen if hou run into a building at 40 plus mph you will kill everyone in vehicle with you,,said but true,,more people die in cars trucks jeeps just going 20 mph ,,,crazy

you were pretty surprised here.

I just read this on Autoblog: http://www.autoblog.com/2013/02/01/jeep-team-takes-a-field-trip-to-wagonmaster-researching-next-gr/ A team of Jeep execs and product planners visited Leon's shop to view his stable and discuss ideas for the (possibly) upcoming Grand Wagoneer. I know Jeep has talked about bringing one back to the

you seemed to think these flimsy pos's werethe toughest/safest thing on 4 wheels. the whole car is a crush zone in an FSJ.

furthermore...to suggest newer cars are more dangerous than older cars is ignorant. in this era of instant information it's willful ignorance even. the cabin remains intact on well engineered modern vehicles. the crush zone is outside the cabin. look at the wagoneer's cabin. who'd want to be in that pos during that crash? you?

good grief.

Comment

• DanHS
                          • Aug 29, 2004

It is kinda surprising that the frame buckled like that, wonder if it had anything to do with the equipment used to pulley the truck into the wall? Looks like it buckled right behind the boxed section. Also the shoulder belts didn't do a thing, I never messed around with them much but I wonder if they broke inside? The inertia lock is simple and seems to function well, but of course I've never applied that kind of force to one.

Of course there is no crumple zone designed into a Wagoneer, the whole front end is solid boxed frame, if what it hits doesn't give then the first thing to crumple behind the boxed frame is the passenger compartment. It either it goes through what it hits, or it folds up on itself.

On the bright side, in most small collisions that would total today's cars due to their crumple zones, an FSJ wouldn't be totaled. Of course that leaves nothing to absorb the energy of the impact, so you get to absorb a bunch of that energy instead. I'd rather be in an accident in a new truck than in an FSJ. When my GW got hit by a drunk driver while it was parked it took the impact pretty well, his Liberty ran but wasn't readily repairable. The GW only suffered superficial damage. Of course had that occurred with driver and passenger, we would have had quite a bit of whiplash and bashed our heads into the glass and B-pillars. No side curtain air bags, no head rests, hard metal instead of padded plastic. Great safe vehicles until they hit something that isn't smaller than them.
                          '84 Grand Wagoneer 360/727/229, 32" General ST's and 36" Swampers, 3" lift, TFI/Mallory 6AL, CS 144, Taurus fan, custom bumper, and custom 'bodywork'. Soon to have 6" lift

'79 Cherokee S 360/T15/D20, rusting away while I figure out what to do with it

'91 Final Edition GW in Spinnaker Blue!

My FSJ pics

FSJ Grille Identification

Comment

• Ghinmi
                            Super Moderator

• Jul 02, 2004

New vehicles are designed to sacrifice themselves to protect the occupants. Old vehicles (our Jeeps included) are death machines in comparison.

Thanks for bringing up that thread, Ristow. I'm still waiting to hear about the secret stock 800 hp pump gas Buick.
                            Yep, I know my PM box is full. Email me instead.

1983 Cherokee WT - IFS, trailing arm rear, full cage, Hemi, 6 speed, turbocharged - Autocross project
                            http://ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=127321

Comment

• nograin
                              304 AMC
                              • Dec 19, 2000

Dan has it about right. It really depends on the situation. A stiff vehicle into a fixed object (brick wall) is generally about the worst situation. Energy transfer to occupants is high and it happens in a very short time frame. I say generally because there are a few other situations that are always bad on a crumple zoned or full framed vehicle such as pole, under-ride and over ride.

The up side if you own a stiff vehicle is that running into immovable objects is not particularly common type of accident. However, IIRC its FMVS 208 specification was (and may still be) a test into a wall. 208 was the minimum needed to meet Fed Specs for sale in the US. But even the smaller companies did all they could to make sure the occupants would not be hurt in many other types of accidents besides head on into a wall. At least this was true in the later 80s when automatic belts and airbags were becoming mandatory.
                              '85 Grand Wagoneer
                              360 727auto, NP229
                              body by beer (PO)
                              carries wood inside
                              no "wood" outside
                              My other car is a fish

Comment

Working...
                              X