Sea Foam - Great Googley MoogleyGreat Googley MoogleyGreat Googley Moogleyudge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rreed
    350 Buick
    • Aug 21, 2006

Just changed my oil, we'll see how it goes. Would I leave this stuff in for a long time? No, for those reasons. Once it breaks up that crap you need to get it out. Did it seem to help my engine? Yes. I would take good smooth idle, functioning lifters, and a bit of restored power any day over fear of leaving sludge or whatever it is that's plaguing my engine alone.
    47 Willys
    75 CJ-5
    81 Scrambler
    76/79/80/81/85 J20 (all the same truck)
    86 Grand Wagoneer - FOR SALE!!!
    96 ZJ

Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning.

Comment

• rreed
      350 Buick
      • Aug 21, 2006

Drove over to Grapevine for dr's appt, then on to Plano for work today, about a good 40+ miles easily. Idle is still good, cruise still good and smooth w/ the noticeable bump/return of power, everything still looking good.

One notable thing, oil pressure has dropped a little. Now idles around 35-ish, around 45-50-ish at speed, hot. I understand that to be acceptable, and this is according to stock gauge. I have a Sunpro mechanical and one fine day I'll hook it up in-line w/ the stock electric and compare, but not right now. I'm guessing my "high" oil pressure (around 40-ish or slightly less at idle, around 60 at speed; all hot) might have been due to clogged passage/lifter/whatever. Or maybe I've cleaned some laminate off my bearings, who knows.

I keep forgetting, my dad always spoke of an uncle who would just before changing his oil would run a quart of kerosene through his engines a for a bit then dump it and consequently got 300K miles out of every one of his engines. I don't know if that was exaggeration but the point of cleaning out your engine was made. So far cleaning mine out has seemed to help quite a bit. Whether or not it helps or hinders in the long run remains yet to be seen.
      47 Willys
      75 CJ-5
      81 Scrambler
      96 ZJ

Comment

• rreed
        350 Buick
        • Aug 21, 2006

Just a check-in, been a few months now and still great!
        47 Willys
        75 CJ-5
        81 Scrambler
        96 ZJ

Comment

• joe
          • Apr 28, 2000

Originally posted by Tripwire
          this stuff safe for fuel injection with a O2 sensor?
          Yes. It's not a performance booster nor a magic tune-up in a can but as a maint fuel system cleaner works well. In my XJ used to run a dedicated injection cleaner once a year but now run seafoam instead once a year (5,000 miles), After a tankfull(20gal) and one jug(16oz) purrs like it should. No ill effects to the 02 sensor. Took me years to come around to seafoam but glad I did. Don't use it in the crankcase though. If I feel the need MMO is still my go to additive.
          joe
          "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• rreed
            350 Buick
            • Aug 21, 2006

My experience w/ any of the fuel injectors cleaners I used the first handful of years I had a fuel injected vehicle was the first tank would run great, second tank would run okay, and by the third-fourth tank performance would be right back to where it was before the injector cleaner. So I stopped doing it. I just replace the fuel filter about once a year.

For what appears to have been a sticky/gummed up/whatevered lifter in my '76 motor the Sea Foam has done great. That's all I'm saying.
            47 Willys
            75 CJ-5
            81 Scrambler
            96 ZJ

Comment

• Miraphone186
              232 I6
              • Sep 08, 2012

Too bad it's illegal in Commiefornia.
              1990 Grand Wagoneer DD

Comment

• DarkMonohue
                Shakes hands with danger
                • Jul 01, 2012

Originally posted by rreed
                For what appears to have been a sticky/gummed up/whatevered lifter in my '76 motor the Sea Foam has done great. That's all I'm saying.
                I'll drink to that - or, quite frankly, just about anything else. Sea Foam is not a miracle cure or a rebuild-in-a-can, but when used appropriately, it does a heck of a job cleaning things that have become gummed up, carboned up, or generally befouled. I've used it a few times in the past but never made a habit of it.

However, we recently had a VW Vanagon in the shop (I did mention I work on some exotic machinery...) and it had a couple of collapsed hydraulic lifters rattling like a soup can full of 1/4-20 bolts. We added a few ounces (of Sea Foam, not 1/4-20 bolts) to the oil and fired it up. Sure enough, after a few minutes of idling like a diesel with a sinus infection, the lifters pumped up and started working like they should, and the old bus quieted right down. Great success.

The boss had never tried Sea Foam prior to that. I think we may start finding applications for it from here forward.
                '85 J20 Old Man Truck, bought @ 65K miles - not great, but better than walking.
                High quality junk here: intro thread and slow build thread

Did you know? Willys is just Willis spelled differently, but pronounced the same. Neither Willy nor his apostrophe are involved.

Comment

• sld
                  327 Rambler
                  • Apr 04, 2006

worked for me
                  1981 WT Cherokee Chief /360/TF727/208/ Holley 600CFM/ Performer Intake/ Edelbrock headers/ Skip White HEI, switched dizzy gear. Patriot Side Pipes.

Comment

• newtojeeps
                    350 Buick
                    • Jun 28, 2006

It is still available in California. It has been reformulated. It has an add to stabilize gas. So if you not going to drive the vehicle for a while put it in the gas, like Sta- Bil . The reformulated stuff does not bellow smoke as much. I have a 83 waggy that does nothing more than rot the tires. I have put some in the crankcase and in the gas. Every 6 or 9 months I start her up (after pouring some gas in the carb) and take her for a spin around the block. It does have some lifter tick, but i think the cam is wasted, but it still runs good.

Comment

• 2ToneBluJ10
                      327 Rambler
                      • Feb 16, 2009

I used it to free up a sticky lifter on my 258. It worked. I did however change the oil and filter immediately after.
                      Dave

The few. The proud. The browless.

Somewhere between prissy and pristene

Comment

• Kevin armstrong
                        258 I6
                        • Nov 06, 2009

sea-foam

Being re-formulated for California now answers why I have gotten different results from this stuff. I have only used it on two Jeeps, a 93 wrangler with a 4.0 and a 94 Cherokee classic with a 4.0 motor. Both needed a new exhaust manifold. I figured I would clean the intake and the injectors before fixing. The can I had for a long time in my shop I used on the Cherokee pouring some in the tank and some down the vacuum hose to the brake booster and I thought the fire department was going to show up. Upon removing the manifolds, the intake and injector surfaces were very clean. Vehicle ran great. It was given to me from a friend who bought it for his son for his first car and got run into the ground by the son. We put about 40k on it and when I bought a 06 hemi Cherokee, I gave it back to his son, being that his next car was going to the yard in the sky. When I used it on the Wrangler, I got absolutely no smoke out of the tailpipe and the intake and injector surface were completely oil grime soaked. Next time I go out of state, I will be buying some more of this stuff. Prior to using this stuff, that marvel mystery oil has done some really great things for me. especially with motors that have sat for a long period of time.

Comment

• mrtazwrench
                          AMC 4 OH! 1
                          • Nov 10, 2001

When I bought my 82 J20 it had old fuel in it, added the seafoam to the fuel and rant a lot better. On my 99 'burb I had an intake leak run some coolant in the oil, causing lifter tick, after the repair and new oil I ran about 100 miles the tick came back, can of seafoam went away, IIRC came back, new oil and seafoam it it was good to go, been about a year now I think. I will be adding this more often to the crankcase now I think.
                          Chad
                          "Let's see that Red Blue Green **** sucker build one of these without duct taping it together!"
                          https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...3&l=76427b95fd
                          88Wag
                          87J20 Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association
                          83Cherokee WT
                          82J20
                          Parts vehicles: 1.5 Wags, 3.5 J20's, 1 J10 1 J300

Comment

• cma
                            350 Buick
                            • Jan 26, 2012

i used it for the ticking / noising lifters. sounds really good, backfires almost gone. will change the oil in the next weeks to see what happens after...
                            Markus!

Note: Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face. - Mike Tyson

Cherokee Chief Laredo, 360 cui, selec trac, black, 12/1982

Picture story:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1019823...eat=directlink

Comment

• GWDriver
                              304 AMC
                              • Jul 07, 2003

I'm not sure if it was the Sea Foam or the Amsoil I always ran in my old Suburban, which I sold a couple of years ago when I bought my RAM 2500 TD, but the old Suburban (1988) had 362,000+ on the clock when I last saw it. It certainly didn't hurt it and a lot of my friends use Sea Foam as well.
                              LarryD
                              USMC Retired

Good Lovin', Good Beer, and a Grand Wagoneer. What more could one want?

1984 Grand Wagoneer My therapy
                              1988 GMC Suburban soon to be retired. . .SOLD
                              2006 Hyundai Sonata GLS/LX Wifes DD
                              2003 Dodge TD 4x4 long bed

Comment

• Wackyneer
                                232 I6
                                • Oct 08, 2011

Originally posted by cma
                                i used it for the ticking / noising lifters. sounds really good, backfires almost gone. will change the oil in the next weeks to see what happens after...
                                Markus,
                                I would not recommend driving the vehicle more that 50km after adding the Sea Foam. I believe the improvements would be made within the first 5-10km after the addition.
                                If you have already driven >50km, change the oil now, don't wait a few weeks.
                                '88 GW 360 V8, Almost stock (locking hubs and electric fuel pump)
                                Was it an omen that my '88 GW broke down 2 miles after the purchase and the tow truck broke down bringing it to my house?

Comment

Working...
                                X