• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bryan
    258 I6
    • May 01, 2000

How do you bend/glue woodgrain trim

The Trim pieces that go around the woodgrain "wallpaper" on my 81 are starting to peel off and curl out. They seem rather stiff & inflexible now so do I get them to flatten back out and what is the best way to reglue or attach them back to the body?
    1974 J10 Short Box 258, T15,D20, D44\'s w/4.10 gears, 31x10.5\'s, & very rare factory floorboard rust hole option<br />1987 Chrysler 5th Ave, what else needs to be said..........
  • tito
    327 Rambler
    • Jul 02, 2001

Wondering how to straighten them, myself.

I had one piece of trim on the tailgate come loose and break off when I got the truck. Fortunately, it broke off when I was loading something so it wasn't lost on the road. I used 3M Super Weather Strip Adhesive. Comes in a red box at most parts stores. Costs more than most others but worth it and still usually less than $5. Then the rest of the trim peeled off and I got tired of riding around with only a 10" strip of trim on the tailgate so I tried to remove it. Ended up having to cut it off then use a razor blade scraper to get the glue off. The stuff bonds really tight.

Now I'm looking to get a full set of trim for the tailgate that's all in one piece.

Be careful with the glue, it contains MEK.

Tito
    '87 Grand Wagoneer, 3" Rough Country lift, 31" BFG's, K&N filter, Alpine/Bose stereo, TFI ignition upgrade, PowerTrax No Slip locker -rear, factory brushguard, "Genius has limitations, Stupidity doesn't"

Comment

Working...
    X