• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 72wag
    232 I6
    • Jan 16, 2001

SOA for 1972 Wagoneer?

hey everyone,
    i've got a '72 wag that is in dire need of a lift!!! i don't have the cash to buy a lift kit with 4 new springs, etc, so i figured that i would do a SOA in the front and put blocks or something else in the back. I know the basics of how to go about doing the actual lift, but i was wondering about some other stuff. first, i've heard that you can get anywhere from 4-7 inches lift on a SOA. i'm thinking that since i have a Dana 30 front end that it might be closer to 4-5" because it's a little smaller than the Dana 44 found on later models. I know i'll need a dropped pitman arm in either case, but what about shift linkages, brake lines, etc? does anyone have any hints or advice on dealing with any of these potential problems? i was also worried about drive-shaft angles. i don't think i'll have a problem up to about 5" because the front drive-shaft looks plenty long so the angle shouldn't get too bad, but even so if anyone has advice on this i would be grateful for it.

thanks a lot in advance you guys, i really appreciate it!!!

Cameron
    72Wag<br />-------------------------<br />Cameron<br />1972 Wagoneer<br />360/2bbl/th400/twin stick d20/<br />31x10.5/15 Pro Comp MT\'s on AE 589\'s<br />Rhino Grill<br />Custom Dash
  • Kenall

• Apr 15, 2000

all the concerns u type of are valid for ANY type of lift, SOA or other.

measure the amount of exposed splines that show on ur current driveshafts. then lift the wags body off the floor to drop the suspension to simulate ur desired lift.

note the amount of driveshaft splines now exposed. note the steering, the brakes etc. this is where u must center the other half of ur lift budget...

------------------
    Ken
    1966 Super Wagoneer
    'The Predecessor'
    Ken's:
    1966 Super Wagoneer
    5.7L 2BBl. Th700R4. NP-208. Opens. 3.31s. 4core. 4Discs. PS,PB,AC,CC,Cassette.
    (Soon to be TBI)
    "If it aint leaking, it's empty!"

Comment

• bgwagoneer
      230 Tornado
      • Jan 24, 2001

I've got a 72 myself and I just put five inches on it. In the rear I added to inch add a leafs and some 3 inch cast iron blocks. In the front I built custom leaf packs with the 72 main leafs and added some leafs out of an 8 inch lift pack. In the front the only mod I had to do was drop my exhaust on both sides 2 inches and put some 2 degree shims in. In the back I had to change the yokes out on the diff and transfer and shortened a ford pickup solid driveshaft. It will use two spicer 153 u-joints. If you want specifics e-mail me at [email protected]. This only cost me about 2 hundred and I've been driving on it for 6 monthes. Not a problem.
      1972 Wagoneer 5\" sus. lift<BR>360/TH400/2bbl<BR>1981 Cherokee 6\" sus. lift<BR>3\" body lift 360/TH400/2bbl

Comment

Working...
      X