• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SnowShoe
    350 Buick
    • Feb 24, 2008

reinstalling tailgate

I'm looking for some tips about reinstalling my tailgate torque springs.
  • Kaiserjeeps
    360 AMC
    • Oct 02, 2002

I detailed this in my Another 70 wagoneer build thread. In short, having the gate held upright by two helpers while you are inside to guide the rods and hinges. With the gate upright it removes the tension. The gate was brought forward and just above the hinges to get everything landed. Then ease the gate down on the hinges and tighten the hinges keeping it all in place. Adjust and tighten as needed. I padded and taped and covered all new paint. It went better than I thought it would. It takes three people....
    Melford1972 says...
    I’d say I feel sorry for you, but I really don’t, Mr. “I-stumble-into-X-models-the-way-most-people-stumble-into-Toyota-Carollas.” 🤣
    -----------------------
    I make wag parts
    1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
    1969 1414X Wag in avocado mist
    1970 1414X Wag in avocado mist
    1968 M715 restomod
    2001 Dodge 3500
    2002 Toyota Tundra
    2006 Toyota 4runner was Liz's, parked

Building a m715 over at the m715zone
    Beloved wife Elizabeth Ann Temple Murdered by covid on Oct 19th 2021

Small violin, large amp

Comment

• 78 WIDETRAC
      350 Buick
      • Aug 19, 2003

Here is how I did it by myself on the 79. Original gate was missing and the hinges were in still installed in the body. The spare gate was in the back cargo area uninstalled.

*****Big plus for me is that gate was empty.... no window, or lifter assembly.*****

1. Remove hinges completely. Whether they are on the gate or body

2. Installed the tension rods into the bottom of the gate slot.

3. Next I put the rods into their little pocket on the lower hinge.

4. Then loosely bolted the hinges to the gate.

5. Next Because the gate was not full of everything I lifted the gate onto the rear of the jeep and loosely latched it.

6. This allowed me to lean over the gate, line up the bolt holes with a slim screw driver the bottom hinge bolt hole and using the longer bolts.. start them into the body.

7. Get them snug enough to operate the gate for adjustment

8. Then I put all of the stuff that weighs the gate down into the gate.

Last edited by 78 WIDETRAC; 05-06-2020, 08:21 PM.

Comment

• SJTD
        304 AMC
        • Apr 26, 2012

I did it alone also.

I mounted the hinges in the tailgate, aligned with pins in small holes I drilled before removing them. Supported it on a wheeled cart, installed springs in gate, plugged it into the vehicle, installed bolts to vehicle, closed it most of the way, bolted down the the springs, fine tuned the alignment.

I also had the glass out for this.
        Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Comment

• SnowShoe
          350 Buick
          • Feb 24, 2008

I have to install my tailgate by myself also so those last two tips should work for me...I hope.

Comment

Working...
          X