Tellico Update 10/29/08

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tellico Update 10/29/08

I spoke with the Ranger Station this morning and I have news to share with everyone. Here's what I have learned.

1) The new proposal/environmental assessment will be here next week or the week after. That means 2 weeks folks, max!!!!

2) The decision will be made by the end of December of this year! No more stringing this thing out or wondering what will happen when. It's this year people. We either sack up and make our presence known or... you know the rest.

3) There will be 6 alternatives proposed with 1 being the one preferred by the Forest Service

4) All comments should be funneled to the Asheville office. This is where this is being handled. Candice Wyman is the woman in charge of handling this.

5) ~500 comments were filed last period. If you think that turns heads you're in for a surprise. We're going to need double that this round.

Get your pens, keyboards and stamps ready. We have got to get on this. We have 30 days from it's release date. I hope we can count on all of you.

Places to Wheel in the Southeast

Originally posted by Topgun2mo
    I would think boxing would limit the amount the frame could flex over obstacles which I think IMO would be a bad thing. I would think you would want all the articulation possible.
    Originally posted by johnny019
    I'm not saying lockers don't improve the performance of your rig, just that they're overrated.
  • Tad
    • Nov 30, 2001

Nick,
    Thank You
    2000 Infinity QX4, 3.3L, MPFI, 4 speed auto, 2 speed Nissan tcase, Unibody, IFS front, 4 link rear solid axle with 255-70/16s

IFSJA WMS PROJECT
    EARLY WAG LIFT SEARCH

...Pay no attention to these heathen barbarians with their cutting torches and 8" lift kits!...
    Self Inflicted Flesh Wound

Comment

• Casey
      • Oct 08, 2003

United/Southern/BRC law suit dismissed

TELLICO LAWSUIT DISMISSED - FOREST SERVICE TO RELEASE NEW PLAN

October 30, 2008
      FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
      Carla Boucher 757-546-7969

Court papers filed today indicate that the lawsuit brought by motorized recreation advocates against the U.S. Forest Service over the Upper Tellico Off-Highway Vehicle Area will be voluntarily dismissed. The case was filed by the BlueRibbon Coalition, United Four Wheel Drive Associations, and Southern Four Wheel Drive Association and challenged temporary closure orders issued by the Forest Service in December, 2007. According to a stipulation entered by all parties to the case, it is the Forest Service?s ?stated intention to complete a public planning process and announce a new decision in the near future which will likely substantially impact or change the interim orders referenced in the complaint?.? The Forest has provided proposed management alternatives and received comments through July, 2008, on the new plan from the recreation organizations and many others interested in Tellico management.

?We are pleased that the Forest Service has made active management of Tellico a high priority, and that this planning process seems to have avoided some of the diversions that have delayed similar decisions in other areas,? observed Jay Bird, immediate Past President of Southern Four Wheel Drive Association. ?Under these circumstances, and mindful of the desire for both Forest Service personnel and recreational enthusiasts to focus on the new decision and future management, we agreed that dismissing this action was the right thing to do,? Bird concluded.

The dismissal is without prejudice, meaning that these same organizations or other interested parties could file administrative appeals or lawsuits challenging the ultimate outcome of the new planning process. Further information about the plaintiff organizations, including information about the ongoing planning process at Tellico and developments in other matters, can be found as indicated below.

# # #
      The BlueRibbon Coalition is a national recreation group that champions responsible use of public and private lands, and encourages individual environmental stewardship. It represents over 10,000 individual members and 1,200 organization and business members, for a combined total of over 600,000 recreationists nationwide. 1-800-258-3742. www.sharetrails.org
      United Four Wheel Drive Associations is an international organization comprised of four wheel drive enthusiasts, clubs, associations, and businesses dedicated to providing community services around the world, education in responsible land use and safe vehicle operation, and protection of our natural resources through conservation practices. 1-800-448-3932. www.ufwda.org

Southern Four Wheel Drive Association (SFWDA) was founded in 1987 to promote responsible land use and to keep public lands accessible for motorized recreation. Since the formation of Southern Four Wheel Drive Association, the focus and mission is to promote responsible land use and to help keep public lands open for motorized recreation. For more information on the activities and accomplishments of Southern Four Wheel Drive Association, please visit www.sfwda.org or contact us at 1483 N. Mt. Juliet Road, PMB # 222, Mt. Juliet, TN 37122
      1994 YJ
      1986 Comanche
      '57 FC-150

Carolina Full Size Jeep Club
      www.cfsjc.com

www.patriotguard.org

Originally posted by Jeepstress
      "Go forth and be a tool".
      Originally posted by 78 Wagoneer
      This year for ECI I got a Jeep. Pretty important upgrade.

Comment

• sungoesdown
        350 Buick
        • Jan 16, 2008

On Feb 27, SFWDA met with the USFS and heard a presentation on what will be in their Environmental Assessment. While they have 6 alternatives that they are considering,
        their preferred alternative is to CLOSE TELLICO.

They issued a temporary closure order until they figure out what to do.

This sucks, guys. Please help out if you can. Write letters to help out. We have only a few weeks left.

83 j-10
        86 grand wagoneer

Originally posted by HeadHoncho
        BTW, how does someone from Iran have a BJ's Offroad sticker but I can't seem to get one sent to New Jersey?????!!!!!!!
        Originally posted by holley2346
        I hated to hear this as I was really wanting to do an ox in the rear.

Comment

This is the letter generator we're using on pirate. Please take it and run with it. Post it on every board you visit to help get the word out.

Thanks
          Places to Wheel in the Southeast

Originally posted by Topgun2mo
          I would think boxing would limit the amount the frame could flex over obstacles which I think IMO would be a bad thing. I would think you would want all the articulation possible.
          Originally posted by johnny019
          I'm not saying lockers don't improve the performance of your rig, just that they're overrated.

Comment

• sungoesdown
            350 Buick
            • Jan 16, 2008

I have been...And I wish everyone on here would also
            83 j-10
            86 grand wagoneer

BTW, how does someone from Iran have a BJ's Offroad sticker but I can't seem to get one sent to New Jersey?????!!!!!!!

Comment

• sungoesdown
              350 Buick
              • Jan 16, 2008

Bump!!
              83 j-10
              86 grand wagoneer

Comment

• elbastardo
                327 Rambler
                • Oct 04, 2005

Updates please I had a confermation email return on my sent email the other day. How many is out there? If you read this and didnt fill it out, Then you should relinquist yourself of ALL 4wd vehicles. And go back to to pavment only vehicles.

Power in #s will help. It worked in Boston

Comment

• sungoesdown
                  350 Buick
                  • Jan 16, 2008

well it did not work in Tellico http://www.cs.unca.edu/nfsnc/nepa/tusquitee/tellico.htm
                  83 j-10
                  86 grand wagoneer

Comment

• addicted
                    Big Meanie
                    • Dec 11, 2004

U.S. District Court
                    Western District of North Carolina
                    Notice of Electronic Filing

The following transaction was entered on 7/24/2012 at 3:45 PM EDT and filed on 7/24/2012

Case Name: Southern Four Wheel Drive Assoc. et al v. United States Forest Services et al

Case Number:2:10-cv-00015-MR -DCK

Motion Hearing set for 8/23/2012 02:00 PM in Courtroom, 50 Main St, Bryson City, NC 28713 before District Judge Martin Reidinger.
                    Originally posted by Ristow
                    i bet it was Simon....
                    he's such big meanie that way...
                    please don't tell him i said that....

Comment

• nc wagoneer
                      350 Buick
                      • May 08, 2012

I hope it isnt closed, looks like an awesome place!!! And I might not even be able to wheel it in 3 yrs
                      old blue-79 jeep wagoneer 360 Quadra Trac (soon to be for sale )
                      Name TBA: 77 j20 D60/d44 360/t15 with flatbed (new toy)
                      "BROWED AND PROUD"
                      Originally posted by fulsizjeep
                      Truth is FSJs are crack on wheels. One taste and you are addicted. Then you just want more. Anyone who does not see this is in denial.

Comment

Working...
                      X