Rebuilding oil-pump -- anything to watch out for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 2ndtimearround
    350 Buick
    • Jul 19, 2002

Rebuilding oil-pump -- anything to watch out for?

I am planning to rebuild my oil pump this week (AMC 360 -- 86 GW -- engine is still in Jeep). Besides packing with Vaseline, anything else that I should watch out for, or do?

Thanks

Lawrence

[ August 24, 2003, 05:35 AM: Message edited by: 2ndtimearround ]
    Lawrence
    • 92 YJ -- Mean Green Starter, 4x4 Posi-lok, Tuffy Overhead Console, 2 meter ham radio, CB, Borla Cat Back Exhaust
    • 86 FSJ -- NOS Gas Tank Skid Plate, TFI Upgrade with Accel Super Coil
  • andy d
    Shade Tree Shaman
    • May 06, 2000

grind down the inside face smooth where the gears have worn into it. use a gasket with no sealer.
    \'88 gwag,pure stock

Comment

• xj2fsj
      258 I6
      • Mar 14, 2002

Clearance is the key here. When I did mine I used a 3M pad secured to a counter with tacks and then rubbed the face over the pad until the rings were negligable. I think a grinder or any motorized contraption will be too hard on the soft metal. Just take it easy and it will work great. And andy is right about the sealer. I just put a very thin layer of heavy oil on the face to hold the gasket while I lined it all up, no leaks, great pressure (60-85psi. I also put in a new pressure switch while i was down there.
      A blonde walks into a bar with a poodle under one arm and a salami under the other...<br /><br />1979 Jeep Wagoneer AKA \"Odin\" 360/400/BW1339/fr44-rr44

Comment

• Stolen76
        350 Buick
        • Dec 13, 2001

hang on to your old parts. After I did mine, I had trouble building pressrue on startup. It would run about 30 seconds before I would get pressure. I swapped in the old pressure pin and the problem went away.
        76 Wag, 360, TH400, 3.55\'s<br />Q-Trac P/T, 16%OD, 2\" AAL<br />Uniroyal LT265/75-16\'s on 16x7\'s

Comment

• Millerluck
          360 AMC
          • Sep 08, 2000

I would pull the distrib and prime the oil pump with a 1/2 horse electric drill after you get it all back together. Have a friend see if you get oil pressure. Set on #1 Top Dead Center before pulling. Then reset the timming after you get it running with a timming light.

Later

Larry Miller
          88GW "Mississippi" 401,Edelbrock heads,and stuff,
          4" Skyjacker, BFG AT's,OBA,Air Horn.

'89GW "Mutt" wood for now, 360, 1405, Edelbrock cam,
          4"Rusty's,3"body,33"BFG. Detroit Truetrack Warn Hubs

The Metal Workshop
          http://www.themetalworkshop.com/index.html

Comment

Working...
          X