• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • deadironrat
    258 I6
    • Mar 25, 2008

AC condenser upgrade

I'm in the process of fixing the AC on my recently acquired Wagoneer and I noticed the condenser looks like an over sized transmission cooler (tube and fin type). It seems painfully inadequate compared to the condensers you see on newer vehicles. Being that I live in Texas and it gets quite hot I'm interested in if anyone has ever upgraded to a newer style condenser? It seems like it should be fairly straight forward and would probably provide a huge boost to your AC.

Has anyone ever done this? If so what vehicle did the donor condenser come out of? And did you see a drop in inside air temperature?
    Jacob Z

1984 Jeep Grand Wagoneer, work in progress
  • deadironrat
    258 I6
    • Mar 25, 2008

What about upgrading to something like this?

It would fit in the same spot as the stock condenser and the tubes are on the correct side. Everything I've looked at says that parallel are hands down superior to the old tube and fin the Jeep used. Any opinions?
    Jacob Z

Comment

• JeepinPete
      304 AMC
      • Dec 09, 2003

You are only looking at half the system. The stock condenser is plenty adequate for the stock evaporator. For a higher capacity condenser to do you any good, you will have to increase the capacity of the evaporator or push more air through what you have.
      Pete

'55 Willys Wagon, the original FSJ
      Sitting on a '77 Cherokee frame, Dodge D60's
      Isuzu 6BD1, NV4500, NP241

Comment

• asphaltrockdweller
        350 Buick
        • Jul 09, 2009

Originally posted by JeepinPete
        You are only looking at half the system. The stock condenser is plenty adequate for the stock evaporator. For a higher capacity condenser to do you any good, you will have to increase the capacity of the evaporator or push more air through what you have.
        Yeap!

What he said.
        The condenser is fairly inexpensive in comparison to the evaporator.
        I am doing an upgrade on my AC system, and found this out last week. To upgrade the evap, you are looking at 300-400 just for that.
        (Ristow)fram!....that deserves a ratchet upside the head.

Comment

• deadironrat
          258 I6
          • Mar 25, 2008

I agree it's only half the system. But the stock evaporator doesn't seem quite as inadequate compared to the stock condenser. My thinking is if my evaporator isn't anywhere near freezing up (which mine isn't) then there is probably room for improvement.

Maybe it's just wishful thinking that this might help combat the Texas heat a little. But I certainly think it's worth a shot while I have the system apart.
          Jacob Z

Comment

• deadironrat
            258 I6
            • Mar 25, 2008

Has anyone had any luck flushing their AC systems? Or perhaps know why you can't flush an expansion valve??
            Jacob Z

Comment

• asphaltrockdweller
              350 Buick
              • Jul 09, 2009

Originally posted by deadironrat
              Has anyone had any luck flushing their AC systems? Or perhaps know why you can't flush an expansion valve??
              Are you going to change over to R134?

If so you should change that. Expansion valves are not that expensive anyways.
              (Ristow)fram!....that deserves a ratchet upside the head.

Comment

• deadironrat
                258 I6
                • Mar 25, 2008

Originally posted by asphaltrockdweller
                Are you going to change over to R134?

If so you should change that. Expansion valves are not that expensive anyways.

I already have a new one. I was just curious. I can understand not flushing an orifice tube but the expansion valve seems strange. Since as far as I know it has no filter inside of it.
                Jacob Z

Comment

• deadironrat
                  258 I6
                  • Mar 25, 2008

I stand corrected, there actually is a little metal screen down inside the expansion valve. At least there is in the old one I removed.
                  Jacob Z

Comment

• FSJunkie
                    The Nigel Tufnel of the FSJ world.
                    • Jan 09, 2011

If you replaced the condenser and increased the system's efficency so that it suppied cooler refrigerant to the evaporator, it would overpower the inefficent evaporator and freeze it up. Then you have no cooling.
                    '72 Jeep Wagoneer Custom, 360 V8

I love how arguements end as soon as Ristow comments. Ristow is right...again.

Comment

• Thomas792
                      327 Rambler
                      • Sep 16, 2007

Looking at that condenser I'm not sure it will work. I've been mocking up one based on dimensions on another site. The problem with the one in the link you provided is that the fitting is too close to the top. In my mock up I can put a 14 x 26 condenser in and the fittings are 2" from the top and bottom. At the top of the radiator support it dips down a bit on each side which is why the fitting 2" from the top will work well.
                      1974 J10 (401, Th400, Q-Trac, D44s, 28" tires)
                      Mrs Tickity - 1988 GW (360, 727, 229, D44s, 32" tires)

Comment

• Heavy_Metal_Thunder_81
                        Cherokee Outlaw
                        • Jan 10, 2006

Originally posted by asphaltrockdweller
                        To upgrade the evap, you are looking at 300-400 just for that.
                        Autozone has evaporators for ~$100, Napa and O'Reily has them for ~$160. The condenser I can only seem to find at one place online for ~$300+
                        -Jonny B.
                        1979 Cherokee Golden Eagle - UNDER CONSTRUCTION
                        7" Alcan springs, BJ's HD shackles - 35x12.5x15 BFG Mud Terrains
                        AMC 401 - Pro-Flo 4 EFI
                        NV4500/NWF BB/NP205 - Triple Stick'd
                        F D44 - 4.10, Eaton E-Locker
                        R M23 - 4.10, Detroit Locker

1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
                        1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
                        1979 Wagoneer - Sold
                        1981 Cherokee Chief - Cubed

Comment

• deadironrat
                          258 I6
                          • Mar 25, 2008

Buy a universal one like i posted a link too. Far more efficient and less then $70.
                          Jacob Z

Comment

• GW Fisherman
                            327 Rambler
                            • Mar 28, 2005

Originally posted by deadironrat
                            I'm in the process of fixing the AC on my recently acquired Wagoneer and I noticed the condenser looks like an over sized transmission cooler (tube and fin type). It seems painfully inadequate compared to the condensers you see on newer vehicles. Being that I live in Texas and it gets quite hot I'm interested in if anyone has ever upgraded to a newer style condenser? It seems like it should be fairly straight forward and would probably provide a huge boost to your AC.

Has anyone ever done this? If so what vehicle did the donor condenser come out of? And did you see a drop in inside air temperature?
                            How do you know what you already have is not adequate? The stock A/C works just fine as it was engineered. You would be throwing your money away unless you reengineered the whole thing. Your compressor only moves so much freon. Unless you replace everything matched to handle the volume of freon you can move through it, not gonna make a difference and may even hinder what you are after. That is why compressors, coils, metering devices, fan motors are matched for different tonnage.

Spend the money on insulating the roof.
                            Last edited by GW Fisherman; 06-30-2011, 09:50 AM.
                            2001 Subaru Outback 3.0 - Mamas assault vehicle
                            1989 Grand Wagoneer - DD and Boat Hauler
                            1985 Mercury 115hp inline 6 outboard
                            1989 Champion 184DCB - Bass boat

Comment

• babywag
                              out of order
                              • Jun 08, 2005

Just refurb the stock unit. They work just fine.
                              No real need to "upgrade" the condenser. I just bought a stock type replacement in '05 when I redid my system.
                              Even in a high desert setting mine pumps out ice cold

Depending on ambient temp, etc. I get 34*-44* out of the driver's side vent (furthest vent from the evap.)

Still running R-12, and it works great.
                              Tony
                              88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

Working...
                              X