International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 06-25-2011, 05:20 PM
Grease Monkey

NP229 fast clicking in 2wd

I just picked up a 1984 Jeep Wagoneer that has been sitting for ten years. After about an hour working on it, it now runs like a top. The problem is with the transfercase in 2hi I get a fast clicking in both forward and reverse. I checked the trans fluid and saw it was a little low so I topped it off. After that it is still the exact same, fast clicking and it will just barely move. When I shift to 4lo it moves like a tank, no stopping it, even the brakes couldn't even slow this thing down.

I'm no NP229 expert so I don't really know what's going on inside there. Could someone please enlighten as to what could possible be going on.

P.S. It took me almost two years of passively searching for a Wagoneer to find one without cancer that didn't cost an arm and a leg.

1984 Jeep Grand Wagoneer, work in progress
Old 06-25-2011, 07:39 PM
Grease Monkey

After fixing a couple vacuum lines the 4wd selector under the dash started working and wallah! Trouble free movement in 4wd high. With that new information I was able to dig up an old thread where someone had the same problem. It seems the viscous coupler inside the transfercase is shot. Good news is the $500 project wagoneer seems to have no other major mechanical issues.

Old 06-25-2011, 07:59 PM

I would think it would work fine in 2wd and not work in 4wd if the VC was bad. I would make sure it is going all the way into 2wd.
Old 06-25-2011, 09:15 PM
Grease Monkey

Well that's what I thought at first, but 2hi and 4hi has the floor shifter in the same spot. The only difference is where you put that vacuum switch that's under the dash. Unless the vacuum switch controls a mechanical linkage somewhere?

Old 06-25-2011, 09:28 PM

The '84 has a vacuum disconnect front axle. It my not have been fully engaged/disengaged and that was the clicking noise you heard. If the front axle is not engaged, and the case is in 4wd (which it shouldn't be due to the system engineering) the truck won't move due to slippage in the viscous coupling, this is normal and not a sign that the coupling is bad. There is a test that you can do to check the amount of slippage. All it requires is a jack and a torque wrench.
Old 06-25-2011, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevelleguy
The '84 has a vacuum disconnect front axle. It my not have been fully engaged/disengaged and that was the clicking noise you heard. If the front axle is not engaged, and the case is in 4wd (which it shouldn't be due to the system engineering) the truck won't move due to slippage in the viscous coupling, this is normal and not a sign that the coupling is bad. There is a test that you can do to check the amount of slippage. All it requires is a jack and a torque wrench.

X2.

When my front axle disconnect when out, it would feel like the t-case was jumping out of gear since the front driveshaft would spin freely when the front axle disconnect disengaged. This condition eventually ruined the t-case and it had to be rebuilt.

Replace ALL your vacuum lines going from the firewall to the vac switch to the front axle and to the t-case. That may help.

And BTW, filling/checking the transmission fluid won't help the t-case. They're filled separately.

www.bigscaryjeep.com

Don't mess with me. I once killed a living hinge.
Old 06-26-2011, 08:13 AM
Grease Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSJ Guy
X2.

When my front axle disconnect when out, it would feel like the t-case was jumping out of gear since the front driveshaft would spin freely when the front axle disconnect disengaged. This condition eventually ruined the t-case and it had to be rebuilt.

Replace ALL your vacuum lines going from the firewall to the vac switch to the front axle and to the t-case. That may help.

And BTW, filling/checking the transmission fluid won't help the t-case. They're filled separately.

The problem actually isn't in 4wd. It is when I have it in 2wd. With the selector switch in the 2wd position and the transfercase in HI I can not move, I just get a fast clicking. If I put the selector into 4wd I can then drive normally, or if I put the transfercase into low I can also move normally. If I am reading correctly you had the opposite problem from me.

I am also 100% aware that filling the transmission is separate from the tcase. I just thought that was a useful piece of information since it had been sitting for ten years and the condition of the transmission was previously unknown.

Old 06-26-2011, 08:40 AM
350 Buick

I'd get under there and try to shift the linkgage with a set of pliers and see if you can get it to engage properly that way. Seems like it's hanging up between gears.

Maybe the vac motor doesn't have enough mustard or you have a vacuum leak.

Military guys- Check out www.MilitaryJeepers.com

'89 GW deceased
Ford 4spd swap Np435/205
Lifted/stretched on 36's/4.10 thick gears/spooled rear

'86 CJ-7 Renegade, Restored, original steel.
new Built TBI 258/Np435/D300 twin-sticks/Waggy D44's
37" Super Swampers and lots of goodies!
Old 06-26-2011, 04:47 PM
304 AMC

After sitting for that long the linkage could be quite stiff, so much that the vac actuator won't move it all the way into the 2wd position. Like CutterN55 said, try moving it manually and apply some good lube to the moving parts before you start thinking about internals. Good luck!
'79 CJ5(in pieces)
'86 CJ7 Doesn't need anything(so why do I have it?)
Correction- it just needed a water pump!
Old 06-26-2011, 06:22 PM

Gotchta. Yes, it sounds like it's not engaging all the way in 2WD. A common problem, actually.

www.bigscaryjeep.com

Don't mess with me. I once killed a living hinge.