International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 05-27-2010, 12:50 PM
Grease Monkey

Front seat removal/replacement

My '90 GW has a very broken driver's seat and just an ok passenger seat. I picked up a good driver's seat and had it covered (Mags Upholstery, Marietta GA, $190, less than 1 week), and the previous owner sported me a cherry passenger seat.

Now I need to take the crappy ones out and put the cherry ones in. The 'new' driver's seat does not have the motor attached, so I need to remove the current crappy driver's seat but NOT the driver's motor. The opposite is true with the passenger seat replacement: it has the motor attached.

Both currently installed motors work.

I intend to dive into the seats tonight if I can. Tips? Tricks? Advice? I see the 4 bolts, but surely it can't be that easy, can it? Any special tools needed?

I've also bought a Outland Truck Bench Seat Console and will be installing it in place of the broken armrest. So I'm replacing my entire front furniture! :-)

Thank you in advance!
Old 05-27-2010, 01:18 PM
Always Broke

I think it is 'that easy'.

You know, electric seats are nice but I went from a truck with electric to non-electric. There is a lot more room underneath a non-electric seat. Handy for stereo amps, gun safes, etc...
82 Cherokee WT – SFwith Alcan/agr box/Borgeson shaft/ 401/performer/Holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS(2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave,Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37/Corbeau Moab Seats /Hella/tuffy console/sliders/custombumpers&roll bar/WARN 8000/steering brace/CO2 Tank/dual batts/custom TCskid plate

Old 05-27-2010, 01:34 PM

Yes, you can remove the 4 bolts on the "seat side" and the seat will come off the power base.

Remove the screws holding the seat controls FIRST!!! Otherwise you'll find yourself holding a loose seat and wondering why the heck you can't get it out of your truck! LOL!

On the passenger side, I'd remove the base on your new seat and just swap the seat itself. Usually, the lower bolts are rusted to the truck and it's easier to swap just the seat instead.

Leave the battery powered, as you'll find it handy to move the seat forwards, backwards and up/down to access the seat bolts.

www.bigscaryjeep.com

Don't mess with me. I once killed a living hinge.
Old 05-27-2010, 07:10 PM
Grease Monkey

Good stuff! Thank you FSJ Guy! Can't wait to dig in. Hope it's as easy as you've said.
Old 05-27-2010, 07:30 PM

seats

Just replaced seats in my 79 J10. It really is that easy. Four bolts and your done.

May the sun be at your back and the wind in your face
Old 05-28-2010, 07:55 PM
Grease Monkey

It really was that easy. Presto change-o: 2 new front seats! She still leaks like a stuck pig, but now she's comfortable to drive.

I got a new console as well, to replace the broken armrest, but I'm a little disappointed. I got it from teamGW, it's an Outland Truck Bench Seat Console, and it's kinda small, and didn't fit until I bent back the flanges that held the armrest in place. I have not fastened it in with screws or anything yet. Wanna see if I really like it.

Anyone else put in a decent console that they like? If so, what kind and where'd you get it? My wife is not happy at all that I removed the bench seat come-on-over-and-cuddle-up-to-me option, but I like a good place to put my stuff and my coffee cup.

There's more knuckle blood than oil under the hood.