International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 05-02-2003, 01:49 AM
Gear Head

I know that there was a thread on this a while back.

But, has anyone used the retractors from a 1989 GW with third-party hardware to make 3-point restraints for the rear seat?

The 1989 retractors have a small tab that keys into the front door pillar. I was wondering if that would interfere with the mounting hardware sold by Juliano's (among others). Retractor box is also a little higher.

I have two sand front seat belts (retractor-side only) for sale. If no one wants them, I thought I might be able to use them in the back seat.
Matthew W. Woodruff<br />woodruff@panix.com<br />1989 Grand Wagoneer \"Laredo\"<br /><br />What works: tailgate window, rear wiper/washer, power windows, A/C, temp and compass, seat belt buzzer, fog lights, cruise control<br /><br />What doesn\'t: gas gauge, remote door locks, rear window defroster, cigar lighter
Old 05-02-2003, 02:34 AM
Jeep Doctor

I just drilled another hole for that locating tab in the Angle-bracket I fabricated to mount my rear retractors. My brackets are way overbuilt, but are so simple to make that I can't imagine why anyone would try to buy one.
Old 05-02-2003, 03:00 AM
Gear Head

Unfortunately, I am a one-way auto mechanic. I can take things apart really well ... it's the fabricating and putting back together that stumps me now and then.

Truth is I don't have the equipment to fabricate a bracket (NYC apartment), so I have to buy ready-made ($$$).

Any tips or gotcha's on using the late model retractors? Did you remove the existing lap belts? I understand that this is a major PITA ...
Matthew W. Woodruff<br />woodruff@panix.com<br />1989 Grand Wagoneer \"Laredo\"<br /><br />What works: tailgate window, rear wiper/washer, power windows, A/C, temp and compass, seat belt buzzer, fog lights, cruise control<br /><br />What doesn\'t: gas gauge, remote door locks, rear window defroster, cigar lighter