• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • deadironrat
    258 I6
    • Mar 25, 2008

Stuck valve

I just purchased a 1984 Wagoneer that has been sitting for 10 years. Just before being left to rot it the engine was rebuilt. I can tell it was indeed rebuild because the paint on the block and heads is shiny and it holds good oil pressure even at hot idle. The problem is after getting it running quite well it developed a valve train tick under the passenger side valve cover. I pulled it off and found one of the push rods to be bent at a 45 degree angle. Unfortunately the valve is quite stuck. I can tap it down with a hammer but it will not recoil under the pressure of the spring. If I hit the cylinder head around it with an air hammer it will slowly rise back up all the way. I would like to know if anyone has any special voodoo tricks to freeing up this valve without pulling the head. I don't believe it is bent, probably just varnished from sitting for over a decade. Any opinions or ideas are greatly appreciated and will almost certainly be implemented (unless you tell me it's sol and I have to pull the head )

Thanks, Jacob
    Jacob Z

1984 Jeep Grand Wagoneer, work in progress
  • FallonJeeper
    258 I6
    • May 28, 2010

If it's stuck, it's stuck for a reason. It was enough to bend the push rod. You may spend a lot of time trying to free it up, only to have to do it again, or do damage to the piston, or have to pull the head anyway.

Save yourself the aggravation and pull the head. At least then you will know for sure.

Comment

• deadironrat
      258 I6
      • Mar 25, 2008

After getting the head removed and torn down I found a bent exhaust valve (although oddly not the valve that was sticking). The trouble I'm having is in finding another, all the places that have them say that the soonest that could get them would be the end of next week for the beginning of the week after that. They are all having to order them straight from the sealed power, which means there is a decent chance it would actually take even longer to get one. Does anyone know of a company that might keep some valves in stock? I don't mind waiting a couple days for shipping, I just don't want to chance waiting a couple weeks for one valve.
      Jacob Z

Comment

Have you called Blaine's Motor Supply in Dallas?
        David "If all else fails, read the instructions."
        83 Wag Lt,BJ's 6"lift,360/727/Pinned229,D44/trac-lok,AMC20/lock-right,35/12.50 Baja MTZ,Pro-Jection EFI.
        10$ NP229 fix http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=2520

Comment

• deadironrat
          258 I6
          • Mar 25, 2008

Originally posted by Chevelleguy
          Have you called Blaine's Motor Supply in Dallas?
          http://www.blainesmotorsupply.com/

Tried, can't get them to answer the phone. Probably already gone for the 4th.
          Jacob Z

Comment

• deadironrat
            258 I6
            • Mar 25, 2008

Just in case anyone else is looking for AMC parts make sure you call NAPA. They actually still keep stuff in stock for us apparently. Including my elusive exhaust valve.
            Jacob Z

Comment

• djongeward
              304 AMC
              • May 21, 2008

Originally posted by deadironrat
              Just in case anyone else is looking for AMC parts make sure you call NAPA. They actually still keep stuff in stock for us apparently. Including my elusive exhaust valve.
              That is impressive. Locally or special order?
              89 Grandwagoneer, built 360, COMP cam set, port matched Edelbrock SP2P, 475 cfm Holley ORA, Thorleys, MSD6a, extra cooling and oiling.
              76 Cherokee S Chief - rebuilt stock, Holley, Performer, MSD Dizzy.
              89 GW parts waggy

Comment

• deadironrat
                258 I6
                • Mar 25, 2008

Originally posted by djongeward
                That is impressive. Locally or special order?

Semi-local. They have 8 of them at their warehouse is Mesquite. I'm going to pick one up in the morning. Everyone is super special order, including Summit and Jegs.

I am extremely impressed with them for actually having them, I will be making a point of stopping at NAPA more now, some of their prices are cheaper as well.
                Jacob Z

Comment

Working...
                X