• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ben's '88 FSJ
    232 I6
    • Sep 30, 2003

Tailgate Stuck Shut

I was replacing rusted screws on my tailgate. I replaced the 2 (on each side, 4 total) that hold the tailgate handle rod. (see picture)

Since I have replaced these screws, my tailgate is stuck shut. I can not open my tailgate. The driver's side of the tailgate feels very loose, like it wants to open. But the passenger side is stuck tight. I can not get it un-stuck.

How does this handle mechanism work? I look down inside my tailgate window and I see the bar moving back and forth when I pull the handle. But the bar does not appear to make contact with anything. Is it supposed to? Is it supposed to move the metal thing on the outside wall of the tailgate?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Ben - Spicewood, TX<br />Blue \'88 GW<br />TFI Upgrade<br />Jasper 360
  • BigJohnny
    232 I6
    • May 10, 2005

I believe it pulls on the latch on the passenger side. You'll haveto reach in there and make sure the little tab connects with the latch. Sorry I can't be more specific I just kinda fiddled around till it made a connection. It's a royal PITA.
    89 Grand Wagoneer<br />32x11.50 BFG A/T\'s plus trimming make this thing look SO much better.<br />I\'ll take it anywhere.

Comment

• Ben's '88 FSJ
      232 I6
      • Sep 30, 2003

Thanks BigJohnny. I will play with it on Wednesday and let you know how it turns out.
      Ben - Spicewood, TX<br />Blue \'88 GW<br />TFI Upgrade<br />Jasper 360

Comment

Working...
      X