• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ursusarticus
    232 I6
    • Apr 03, 2005

Cummins 4.5L ISB 69 Wagoneer build plan

After much thought and research I have come to a final plan for the rebirth of the old 1969 Wagoneer. This will be a rather ambitious build as the entire drivetrain will be modified. The engine I've decided on will be the Cummins 4.5L ISB engine making appx. 400 lb/ft of torque backed by an Allison 1000 transmission and an Atlas transfer case w/ 3:1 low range. The axles will be a full floating Dana 60 with a "soft" Detroit locker and provision for ABS and disc brakes out back. The front axle for now is planned to be a Dana 44 with truetrac and ABS provision. I'm planning on installing a "widetrack kit" I'm also planning on a PTO driven hydraulic system to operate a 12,000# Mile Marker hydraulic winch. I think that I will use 33" tires to keep the final drive in a reasonable range for the engine as it does not like to run more than 2900 RPM. Now the hard work begins as I work to accumulate the parts. I think that the axles and suspension and flare kit would be the start with the "power package" following. As the build progresses I'll keep you "fellers" updated.
    Ursusarticus
  • j2sax
    350 Buick
    • Mar 20, 2003

Just out of curiosity, why the "provisions for ABS" front and rear? Considering the electronics and other complexities involved with ABS, that would be the most daunting task on your list! Should be interesting though!

Sounds like a great build... get some pics up ASAP!
    Jesse- Sparta, MO (Near SPfdl MO) J20 4 Door Project, Wag w/ 6" Rusty's, 33x12.5's, 360/727 (for now!), 77 J10, 80 J20, 3 80's Wags, 73 Commando, Lots of AMC Eagles, FSJ parts Rigs and parts

Comment

• ursusarticus
      232 I6
      • Apr 03, 2005

Jesse I have a long time friend that after wrenching for twenty years went on to be an instructor at Wyotech in Fremont and I asked him about this and he told me that the GM ABS is essentially a "stand alone" system with it's own dedicated controller and I just need to plumb in the the cycling valves and hook up the speed sensors and the controller is a separate ECM. It should be a rather interesting build, the wagon Jeep should have built. The greatest challenges will be getting all of these systems to integrate properly and to do it in a sanitary manner. I know where Sparta is, I lived south of Berryville Ar. for ten years , and used to drive up to Branson and putt down Hwy 76 once in a while and if I wanted to make a day out of it I drive up to Bass Pro and nose around.
      Last edited by ursusarticus; 08-23-2014, 04:30 PM.
      Ursusarticus

Comment

• jMedia
        350 Buick
        • May 27, 2009

Sounds like a very interesting build, can't wait. Where are you sourcing the 4.5L from?
        Joshua
        1988 Grand Wagoneer "Elwood"(thanks krek)
        Constantly changing, never done

Comment

• joe
          • Apr 28, 2000

Gotta love lottery ticket buyers already planning their winnings.
          We'll need build progress and final result pics
          joe
          "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

Working...
          X