• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rusty eagle
    232 I6
    • May 29, 2002

Windshield instalation

After cracking my windshield during reinstalling I bought a new windshield and a new gasket.
    But the person who is installing it wants to know if there should be a "cord/string " installed inside the windshield gasket.
    The gasket came without a "cord/string " so I suppose not, but I want to be sure and not loose the windshield on the highway
  • azpackrat
    350 Buick
    • Oct 20, 2009

As tight as those windshields fit, it would probably be the last thing to fall out. I have never seen or heard of a cord or string in a FSJ windshield. The gasket/weather strip should have a locking bead, looks like a split in the outer portion. This has to be unfolded to install and reinserted after the glass is in place. The guy who installed mine years ago said the worst part is the upper corners, rounded gasket/squared windshield.
    ?A free man must not be told how to think, either by the government or by social activists. He may certainly be shown the right way, but he must not accept being forced into it.? Col. Jeff Cooper

"Any fool can know. The point is to understand." Albert Einstein

Comment

• babywag
      out of order
      • Jun 08, 2005

Gasket is installed in the windshield opening, then glass is installed into the gasket.
      They are not designed to be installed @ the same time.

Your installer may be thinking it's like a pickup rear slider window??
      Old school trick is to wrap string/twine around the window gasket and pull the gasket through the opening and over the metal lip.
      Tony
      88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• Lindel
        Perfesser of Jeepology
        • Jun 15, 2000

No, it doesn't need a cord/string to be installed.
        Jeep Grounds
        RRV Homepage
        Texas Full Size Jeep Association
        1987 Grand Wagoneer
        AMC 360/TF727/NP229
        1999 Wrangler Sport
        4.0L/AX-15/NV231

?Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction? by Ronald Reagan.

Formerly of DFW/Gun Barrel City, TX - eventually to return...

Comment

• FSJ Guy
          • Mar 20, 2005

I'd be worried that your installer doesn't know how to do it. The metal trim can be a PITA if they've never worked with this style windshield.

It helps to have an installer who wasn't in diapers when the last FSJ rolled off the assembly line.
          Ethan Brady
          1987 Grand Wagoneer, slightly longer than stock.

www.bigscaryjeep.com

Don't mess with me. I once killed a living hinge.

Comment

• Gambler68
            Rabble Rouser
            • Feb 29, 2004

THe old TSM says to use a cord.

I installed the gasket in mine, lifted the window in alone, worked the top in, and got the bottom in (alone) about an hour or so later. No cracks. Be sure to FULLY pop the gasket open before putting glass in. And use plenty of silicone grease on the inside of the window channel in the gasket. Wasn't that hard.
            1979 Chero S "Sundog" 1979 Chero S "Hammer"
            1968 327 J3000 1978 J10SWB
            The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
            Hunter S. Thompson .

Comment

• rusty eagle
              232 I6
              • May 29, 2002

Ok , So no cord/string.
              Still thinking of saving myselve the 100 dollar and put the glas in myselve.
              who has done this succesfull (and not succesfull) , bisides Rabble Rouser ?

Comment

• Tad
                • Nov 30, 2001

I've done it myself.
                Not that bad with the front clip/engine out of the way.
                I think I would want an extra set of hands if I had to do it again.
                2000 Infinity QX4, 3.3L, MPFI, 4 speed auto, 2 speed Nissan tcase, Unibody, IFS front, 4 link rear solid axle with 255-70/16s

IFSJA WMS PROJECT
                EARLY WAG LIFT SEARCH

...Pay no attention to these heathen barbarians with their cutting torches and 8" lift kits!...
                Self Inflicted Flesh Wound

Comment

• threepiece
                  350 Buick
                  • Sep 17, 2005

I have installed several. It does not require special tools. The trick is to take your time and be aware of any stress on the glass durring the process. Be sure the gasket is clean and work in a warm place as the rubber will be softer and strech better. Silicone will help reduce stress but I like to put a small bead of butyl between the outside glass surface and the gasket, (I sort of stuff it in there after the glass is installed) This insures there are no leaks. Nothing that I know of will stick to silicone so I never use it. Soapy water might work too.
                  Dan
                  FSJ Hybrid build thread: http://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/...ad.php?t=43332
                  We are Borg, but we don't know it yet.
                  We are being assimilated but we don't know it yet.
                  Resistance is not futile yet.
                  Are you and your children connected yet?

Comment

• jeepmeister
                    232 I6
                    • Oct 20, 2006

I use alot of soapy water, like a mixture of dishwasher soap and water in a spray bottle. Cleans up easy afterwards.

Comment

• rusty eagle
                      232 I6
                      • May 29, 2002

I will give it a try, after I taken of the rust and painted the rim of the window.
                      Thanks for the advise

Comment

Working...
                      X