Best wood for flatbed truck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best wood for flatbed truck?

What do you guys think is the best? Locust, oak, pine?? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
    Places to Wheel in the Southeast

Originally posted by Topgun2mo
    I would think boxing would limit the amount the frame could flex over obstacles which I think IMO would be a bad thing. I would think you would want all the articulation possible.
    Originally posted by johnny019
    I'm not saying lockers don't improve the performance of your rig, just that they're overrated.
  • Danbert
    327 Rambler
    • May 23, 2006

Go with Bamboo. They are using it for flooring in houses now. It looks real cool.
    '83 Wagoneer LTD.
    Vacuum elimated Dana front axle
    Building stereo, window tint, roof rack, light bar, and other projects currently underway

Comment

• backpack09
      327 Rambler
      • Nov 09, 2005

Originally posted by Danbert
      Go with Bamboo. They are using it for flooring in houses now. It looks real cool.
      That or maybe cork, Looks cool, impact resistent, I have no idea of pricing tho. It is another type of flooring.
      Dan G
      91 GrandWag
      MSD Mag Dizzy, MSD 6A

Comment

i'm not sure that's the style I'm going for and honestly I've never heard of using that on a flatbed truck. Flooring and cutting boards but not for trucks. I would like to see a pic though.

I would think boxing would limit the amount the frame could flex over obstacles which I think IMO would be a bad thing. I would think you would want all the articulation possible.
        I'm not saying lockers don't improve the performance of your rig, just that they're overrated.

Comment

• The PIG Smith
          King Browless

• Nov 30, 2001

I have 3/4" tongue and grove Non-treated decking on my flat bed.

Bryan Smith
          2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
          - 75th Anniversary Edition - 1941 Trim Package - Recon Green
          1986 Jeep J20
          - Super clean rig from the AZ/CA state line
          1982 Jeep J10
          - Has become a Long Term Project.
          1981 Jeep J20
          - Commercial flat bed - Lost in a Divorce --gone
          1987 Jeep J20 Pioneer
          - Former Rick Bielec aka Ricbee plow rig. Major rust!! --gone

IFSJA Member #1933 Joined November 30, 2001

Originally posted by Jayrodoh
          ...but if it works, I wouldn't touch it.
          Originally posted by Lindel
          Best laid plans, yada yada yada...

Comment

• Elliott
            Cowboy Up
            • Jun 22, 2002

Prolly a hardwood, oak is nice. Pine will be too soft. Ash or Hickory maybe. IIRC, ash is a good structural wood used for boats. Weren't the wood slats used in pickup beds oak?
            *** I am collecting pics and info on any factory Jeep Dually trucks from the J-Series at the new Jeep Dually Registry.
            ***I can set you up with hydroboost for your brakes: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=106056

Comment

i think oak is what's needed but i think that's gonna be high dollar.

Pig Smith, what kind of wood and did you get to that 203 yet? thanks

Comment

• tgreese
                • May 29, 2003

IIRC the original bed boards in such trucks weren't any fancy wood; close-grained fir or clear southern yellow pine. The hot rod trucks usually use oak, but any white hardwood would be fine too - oak, ash, and birch are widely available. Again IIRC birch is the chapest of those three. Don't know about locust, but the carcasses of furniture used to be built from gum, which is a hard and consistent but not very attractive wood. Poplar seems to be widely available and popular now, having a tight grain with no knots, but it usually has a greenish cast and it's not as hard as oak, ash, or birch. You could even use Trex made from reclaimed plastic and sawdust, but it might melt if it's too close to the exhaust.
                Tim Reese
                Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
                Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
                Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
                GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
                ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

• Serious Johnson
                  AMC 4 OH! 1
                  • May 19, 2002

Ipe (pronounced E-pay). 5/4 costs a little more than twice what 2x treated pine runs, but it'll outlast the truck.

S.J.
                  "Carpe Mañana".

'83 Wagoneer
                  360, .030-over, K8600 cam, Crane springs, ported heads, Edelbrock Performer, G.M. TBI, TFI, 3" exhaust,
                  T-18a/208, D44/AMC 20 w/ limited slip in both, 3.73s, 33s, BDS 4" springs, Rancho 9000 shocks, etc., etc.

Comment

• Serious Johnson
                    AMC 4 OH! 1
                    • May 19, 2002

Tim:

Trex is not at all suited to heavy load bearing -- it'll sag between supports.

S.J.
                    "Carpe Mañana".

'83 Wagoneer
                    360, .030-over, K8600 cam, Crane springs, ported heads, Edelbrock Performer, G.M. TBI, TFI, 3" exhaust,
                    T-18a/208, D44/AMC 20 w/ limited slip in both, 3.73s, 33s, BDS 4" springs, Rancho 9000 shocks, etc., etc.

Comment

i'm sorry if i gave the impression this is a street truck. it's an old farm truck that's been in the family for ages. my dad just wants to build it back to it's prime condition. this will win no awards but i want it to be tough so that my dad can be happy with it's durablility and look. IIRC, these boards are thick and look to be a hardwood but i can't be for sure.

Comment

• CustomWag
                        304 AMC
                        • Oct 10, 2005

Here's another vote for hardwood...oak or ash. (black) Locust is really hard and also resistant to rot, was used for fenceposts, seems like that would be a good one too if you can get it
                        Rick
                        84 Custom GW
                        360/727/208/d44f/AMC20r/3:31
                        Manual windows/locks/seats

Comment

• tgreese
                          • May 29, 2003

Yeah, I hadn't thought about the Trex bending.

How about plywood? 5/4" truck decking (ie for loading dock floors and such) is available, and would be really strong.
                          Tim Reese
                          Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
                          Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
                          Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
                          GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
                          ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

• JeepinPete
                            304 AMC
                            • Dec 09, 2003

Oak is used on heavy equipment trailers, heavy duty skids, stuff like that...
                            Pete

'55 Willys Wagon, the original FSJ
                            Sitting on a '77 Cherokee frame, Dodge D60's
                            Isuzu 6BD1, NV4500, NP241

Comment

• hogwagon
                              232 I6
                              • Apr 19, 2004

I recommend white oak. It is tough as nails and holds up quite well.

Comment

Working...
                              X