• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • elskeptico
    350 Buick
    • Sep 03, 2003

underdash A/C - blower motor upgrade?

Anyone ever found a suitable upgrade for the blower motor and wheel used in the underdash A/C unit? I don't know about the diameter, but the more modern motor/wheel units I see in later model vehicles sure look like they'd be compatible.
    1979 Cherokee Chief S, 360, TFI, Part-time conversion, rust

If you go lookin' for rust, you'll find it.
  • wiley-moeracing
    350 Buick
    • Feb 15, 2010

What is the purpose of trying to upgrade the fan? Do you have issues with speed, air volume?

Comment

• rapom
      232 I6
      • Aug 10, 2016

That

Comment

• elskeptico
        350 Buick
        • Sep 03, 2003

Originally posted by wiley-moeracing
        What is the purpose of trying to upgrade the fan? Do you have issues with speed, air volume?
        Yeah even with a new motor I'm underwhelmed by how much air it can push.
        1979 Cherokee Chief S, 360, TFI, Part-time conversion, rust

If you go lookin' for rust, you'll find it.

Comment

• babywag
          out of order
          • Jun 08, 2005

Originally posted by elskeptico
          Yeah even with a new motor I'm underwhelmed by how much air it can push.
          Check to see that circuit is working properly...as in no resistance dropping voltage etc.

EDIT: I used an old ac blower for my DIY heater and it puts out an insane amount of air.
          Haven't had a heater in years, and it's starting to bother me. All the underhood and all the behind the dash ductwork removed long ago. However there is LOTS of room behind the dash, so started whipping one up. Got the pieces cut out for the blower housing today. NOT willing to pay $150+ for one. The blower will be

Also all ones I've owned the underdash unit was adequate in airflow, some needed a little work to the decades old wiring & bits.
          Last edited by babywag; 07-31-2020, 11:04 AM.
          Tony
          88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• wiley-moeracing
            350 Buick
            • Feb 15, 2010

Agree, you need to check for voltage drop at the motor through the circuit, amperage draw, then you may need to clean out the evap unit as it may be plugged up with dirt. bent fins, etc.

Comment

Working...
            X