• Show
Clear All
  • Dome
    304 AMC
    • Apr 06, 2000

1982 Cherokee Laredo - Ryan Ruck

The Truck
    --------------------------
    My truck is a 1982 Cherokee Laredo with 360/TF727/NP208 .

Mods
    The truck originally had a 258 engine with a manual transmission. The previous owner swapped in a 1975 360 with a TorqueFlite 727. The previous owner also added a Edelbrock Performer intake and Holley model 4160 600 cfm 4bbl carb and B&M Megashifter, Westinghouse 5 1/2" offroad lights in smaller circular openings behind grille. I have since added an MSD AMC Pro-Billet Distributor, MSD 6 Series Offroad Ignition, MSD Blaster HVC coil, FlowTech Hedders (CJ type that exit through the fenderwell), Dual Flowmaster 40 Series 3" mufflers, 3" exhaust pipe with side exit in front of rear tires, Original Equipment Brushguard from a friends 1970s Cherokee Chief, 8 Eagle Eye 150 watt offroad lights (6 on Eagle Eye Universal Light Bar & 2 on brushguard), 6 Blazer International Baja Offroad lights (4 on brushguard & 2 mounted on roof rack facing rear as reverse lights), Eagle Eye H-4 halogen head lights (90 watt low beam / 130 watt high beam), dual factory alternators, 6 aircraft style 40 amp switches for the offroad lights' control, 133dbl Semi Air Horn, Musical Dixie Air Horn, Original Equipment radio with CB, and Grand Wagoneer leather interior.

Future Plans
    Future plans include a Mean Green 220 amp alternator, possibly a 3 or 4 inch suspension lift, and possibly 33" tires.

Truck Story
    ---------------------------
    I first saw the truck when passing by a local Jeep dealer and figured I could use it for parts for a 1982 Wagoneer Limited that I own (since the purchase of the Chero, the Wag will become the trail toy so look forward to major mods to this truck when I post it on this list). Eventually I got a chance to look at it and upon close inspection, I realized that there was no way I could use this truck for parts. The reason: THERE IS NO RUST ON THIS TRUCK!! This thing looks like it is less than 10 years old! Unfortunately, upon the close inspection I saw that "SOLD" was written across the windshield. I left disappointed. About a month later, the truck was still there! This piqued my interest. I went back to the dealer and spoke with the lot manager. He said that they had purchased the truck about a year ago and originally planned to turn it into a plow truck to use on their lot. Having the affection that I do for these trucks I asked if there was any way that I could purchase it. The lot manager said that if I could get $2500 together it was mine but I had to do it before they got it back in the shop to get it repaired and prepped for use in the coming winter. I was also warned that the truck didn't run and when it did it leaked gas all over the place. I was also informed that the tranny leaked. Upon looking under the hood I discovered that the truck had the 360 with the Holley. Ironically it was about this time that the list was discussing how Holley carbs require constant adjustment and can cause bad performance if they aren't maintained. I figured, but kept to my self to help with negotiations, that this could be why it wasn't running. This was originally back in September that I found all this out. So, by the beginning of October I had saved, scrimped, and stolen (just kidding) $2000 dollars. I went back to the dealer and informed the lot manager that the most that I was able to come up with was $2000 dollars upon hearing this he announced, "You're an owner!" I was totally overjoyed at having found a near showoom condition truck and being able to own it! I had the truck towed home put in a new battery and adjusted the flow screw on the carb. It immediately fired up and ran well!! With no gas leaks!! After giving it a total tune up (ALL fluids changed, real fun!) I discovered that there was also no tranny leak either!! Shortly after the tune up I took the truck out on a test drive. During the test drive I pulled up along side a 1994-96 Impala (with the LT1 Corvette engine) at a red light. Upon hearing my loud, leaking exhaust pull up next to him the driver looked over and gave his throttle a slight blip. I obliged and did the same. Upon the light changing green the Impala owner figured he would give me a good view of his tail lights. However, to his chagrin I remained right along side him until the next light where he turned off! Needless to say I am rather proud of this feat. I must also point out that this was literally 2 days after my purchase and prior to my making of ANY performance upgrades! Just goes to prove what great trucks these things can be! So to all I wish you similar luck in embarrassing other sports car owners and/or wheeling offroad!

Ryan Ruck
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    83 Wagoneer Limited (R.I.P)
    360, TF727, NP228
    SOA, 35's, WT Axles, 4.10 gears, Detroit Locker
Working...
X