• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gbarrett
    258 I6
    • Jun 23, 2000

Floor board Sheet metal

I have to replace the front floor board sheet metal in my wife's 87 GW. I have made templates to take to the metal shop.
    My question is this:
    How thick should the replacement patches be? Also, is there something I should avoid or something else I should know when doing this?

Thanks,

Greg
    84 GW<br />Driveline is Ford 351/C6 combo.<br />New paint, carpet, stereo. Rhino grille, etc.<br /><br /><a href=\"http://home.earthlink.net/~getoverit/index.html\" target=\"_blank\">My Site</a>
  • 64Trvlr
    Traveler
    • Nov 28, 2000

I used 16 gauge steel to make my floor boards from.
    41 MB<br />46 CJ-2A 307,T90,D18,27,44,4:27\'S<br />64 Traveler, 350,sm465,np205,44\'s w/4:88\'s, spool, 34X9.50 TSL\'s,3\" factory lift, Line-x interior, PS, Dual Optima\'s, custom overhead console,Warn XD900i,custom bumpers<br /><a href=\"http://images.andale.com/f2/116/106/4651773/1009696569938_64trvlrconsolegrp.JPG\" target=\"_blank\">Overhead C

STOLEN! Dana 300 Twin Stick

Comment

• Bob Barry
      Jeep Doctor
      • Apr 09, 2000

I used 20ga sheetmetal, but would recommend something sturdier, as these patches "tin-can" when it's cold out and the body flexes around corners (imagine the sound of the side of a soda can being popped in and out, and that's what the inside of my truck sounds like).
      1987 J-20
      Video projects for my J-20 on Youtube

Comment

• 64Trvlr
        Traveler
        • Nov 28, 2000

Bob
        I know the sound well. I used 20 ga the first time when I patched the floor. This time when I redid the whole floor I used 16 ga and it works great. Doesn't pop or bend when you put weight on it.
        41 MB<br />46 CJ-2A 307,T90,D18,27,44,4:27\'S<br />64 Traveler, 350,sm465,np205,44\'s w/4:88\'s, spool, 34X9.50 TSL\'s,3\" factory lift, Line-x interior, PS, Dual Optima\'s, custom overhead console,Warn XD900i,custom bumpers<br /><a href=\"http://images.andale.com/f2/116/106/4651773/1009696569938_64trvlrconsolegrp.JPG\" target=\"_blank\">Overhead C

STOLEN! Dana 300 Twin Stick

Comment

• la mula pescadora
          258 I6
          • Sep 20, 2001

i resently replace the floor on my chief i used 16 gauge and at the moment i'm going to spray some underliner on check some pics here
          http://citaris.digicentro.com/vallehermosense/mula.jpg<br /><br />76 chero chief wt<br />360<br />TFI<br />holley blue fuel pump<br />Holley Truck Avanger <br />edelblock intake <br />SOA<br />chopt top<br />rino lining

Comment

• Gladi8r
            304 AMC
            • Jun 20, 2000

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by la mula pescadora:
            i resently replace the floor on my chief i used 16 gauge and at the moment i'm going to spray some underliner on check some pics here<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
            Looks like you spent alot of time getting all that cancer out. Looks Great
            DON <br /><a href=\"http://www.Gladi8r.com\" target=\"_blank\"><b>Website</b></a><br /><br />1988 GW 360<br />Edelbrock Intake & 1406<br />TF727/Dana 300<br /><br />1971 J-4500,Rhino Grille<br />A work in progress <br />Soon to be:<br />500 Caddy |Th400 | 205<br />DANA 44/60 (3:73)<br /><br /><b>\"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little<br />temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.\" </b> Ben Franklin

Comment

• WagonBurner
              232 I6
              • Oct 10, 2001

Isn't there a saying...old chrvy hoods make great jeep floorboards? [img]smile.gif[/img]
              Chris<br />81 wag (motorless but better on gas)<br />94 GC Laredo

Comment

• jeepbob
                Jeep Idiot
                • Jan 16, 2001

Yup, you stole the words right from my mouth, Chevy hoods are wide and flat and cheap (esp if you get one with rust holes or dents in the front) and make great Jeep floors. BTW to stop the tin canning with lighter gauge metals, put an "X" crease in it like they do on duct work. This is an old body shop trick. If you use a Double "X" it is even better. A double X is 2 "x"'es with thier centers about 3/4" apart.
                65 wag. with a bunch of stuff done and more happening.<br /><br />\"If the local junkyard calls you for Jeep parts, you might be a redneck\".... and yes they do!

Comment

Hey, MP, great job!

Comment

• Ed Jack
                    350 Buick
                    • Oct 30, 2001

I am about at the same place with my J10. I've cut out the cancer so far. Out with the old, next is in with the new. I was considering using diamond plate and no carpeting.

What I am wondering though, how much road noise increase will I get from not having the insulation and carpeting?

Also, I'm only planning to put the diamondplate in the flat areas, and use sheet metal for behind the pedals, etc. where I need bends.

I'm no welding expert, am using a borrowed MIG. How hard will it be to weld different gauges together? Is it a bad idea, or just harder?

My pickup really is my practice vehicle, as I only use it to plow my own driveway and it's a long ways from being roadworthy (ie no brakes to speak of, etc.. a plow makes a great road anchor. ) so hard is ok, if I don't get it done, I can do the glass-bottomed-boat/plow thing this winter and see what went *Crunch* in that snowbank.
                    72 CJ5
                    12 JK

Formerly 88GW, 79 J10, 81J10, 99WJ

Comment

• la mula pescadora
                      258 I6
                      • Sep 20, 2001

tks guys well it wasent that dificult to remove the old floor since it was all completly out and it had some wood boards instead of the metal and we are done with the sprying i will post some pics tomorrow so u guys can tell me how it looks
                      http://citaris.digicentro.com/vallehermosense/mula.jpg<br /><br />76 chero chief wt<br />360<br />TFI<br />holley blue fuel pump<br />Holley Truck Avanger <br />edelblock intake <br />SOA<br />chopt top<br />rino lining

Comment

• WagonBurner
                        232 I6
                        • Oct 10, 2001

WOW you had some real wood eh...all mines fake
                        Chris<br />81 wag (motorless but better on gas)<br />94 GC Laredo

Comment

• Lindel
                          Perfesser of Jeepology
                          • Jun 15, 2000

Now I've got an idea of what I need to do to mine. Good pics, and good job on the floor.
                          Jeep Grounds
                          RRV Homepage
                          Texas Full Size Jeep Association
                          1987 Grand Wagoneer
                          AMC 360/TF727/NP229
                          1999 Wrangler Sport
                          4.0L/AX-15/NV231

?Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction? by Ronald Reagan.

Formerly of DFW/Gun Barrel City, TX - eventually to return...

Comment

• OBX-AUTOMOTIVE
                            GRUMPY
                            • Apr 10, 2001

WEDNESDAY NIGHT FLOOR FUN!!!!.......

Comment

Working...
                            X