• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • motion vega
    232 I6
    • Nov 17, 2009

soa shocks?

what are guys running? i searched but didnt really see anything about lenghts and such. measured at 23 inches front and rear just parked.....
    88 grand waggy with almost nothing done to it but a severe beating.
  • Chief Gunner
    327 Rambler
    • Mar 10, 2006

I went with a set of Bilstein 5100 series. I basically did the same thing you did by measuring the didtance from shock mount to shock mount at ride height. I took that measurement to our local off road shop and had them look up shock lengths. The sales guy took a sheet of scrape paper and drew a horizontal line with vertical hash marks. The middle hash mark was ride height (in your case 23"), and 10 hash marks going up and 10 marks going down. We could then visualize the different lengths of shock to see how much compression and extention I would have. So simple yet so cool at the same time. This way I was sure I had the right sized shocks.
    The War Wagon: 1986 GW- SOA/SF on 33X12.50's, 360/727/NP228, CS 144 Alt, OBA
    Wife's DD: 2012 Ford Focus SEL

My carbon foot print is bigger than your's.
    WWW.SOCALULTIMATE4X4.COM

Comment

• autogatto
      258 I6
      • Apr 24, 2009

To make sure of what lenght your shocks are supposed to be there's no better way that find a ramp and flex your vehicle to see what is the actual maximum extensions of your suspension and the maximum compression. And at that point you should take your measurements.

Calculations on piece of paper can be right to a certain extent but they will never be as accurate as a vehicle actually flexing...
      A few jeeps

Comment

• motion vega
        232 I6
        • Nov 17, 2009

well, to be honest im not really worried bout flexing right now, just need to get her back on the road since the snows on the ground in illinois and the wifes ready to confiscate my h3 since her sonata blows goats in the snow........i do actually have stuff to make a ramp, when we bought this place in 05 i found some 15 foot long ramps in the woods that i figure they used to get a bobcat out of the foundation once it was dug out and finish graded........thatll have to wait till spring i guess. to many neglected projects in the way.....think for now im gonna head to napa and look thru the monroe book and find something to get me by. at least i can use the same shock on all 4 corners...

Comment

• motion vega
          232 I6
          • Nov 17, 2009

now if i can just find some 16.5 6 lug wheels so i can use the h1 bias plys... or 6-8 adapters and use the h1 wheels to.....

Comment

• autogatto
            258 I6
            • Apr 24, 2009

If I was you I would find an industrial area and find a dock ramp and try it right away. Doing so you know for sure what you need and hopefully you just buy one set of shocks.

Different thing is obviously if this thing will never hit the trails, or at least not for serious off roading, and in that case any set of shocks that will have some up travel and some down travel will be just fine.
            A few jeeps

Comment

• motion vega
              232 I6
              • Nov 17, 2009

ordering some procomp es1000s, 29 extended 17 compressed, 99 for the set

Comment

Working...
              X