• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 95pontiac
    232 I6
    • Nov 24, 2002

Need choke help!

1988 Grand Wagoneer - 360 V8

I have a Ford Motorcraft 2150 (2) barrel carb - recently rebuilt. Runs great except for choke. I have adjusted the electric choke towards the "rich" side - couterclockwise when the choke is directly in front of you - I understand this tightens the choke spring. This keeps the butterflies closed until the spring in the choke warms up and expands (the 12volts to the choke is good). I have verified that the buttrerflies are closed. However, the choke rpm is too low and the engine will not keep running when it is very cold outside. I know how to adjust the "warm idle" and the "fast idle" (air conditioning), but how do you adjust the "choke idle"?

Thanks!
  • Torque
    327 Rambler
    • Jul 14, 2002

Consider a manual choke conversion.
    I can find cold idle and hot idle adjustment not sure what you mean by choke idle adjustment.
    Is it possible you have a vacum diaphram(located on pass side at back of carb)which operates the vacum break opening?If it opens too much in coldweather or too little in warm weatherthe engine will stall.A quick check is to attach a vacum pump and see if the diaphram holds a vacum
    Evelynn is an '83 Cherokee Chief W/T with a 360(mildtweek),727,NP229,33x12.5,3.73:1,TFI, MSD6,Painless wiring,CRX seats but the list is growing.

The cynic is one that belives the pessimist is overly optomistic

Comment

• 95pontiac
      232 I6
      • Nov 24, 2002

Torque,

I don't think I am getting enough fuel when the carb is choked. I have read there is a "cam" for the choke that determines the amount of fuel to the carb when the choke is engaged. I do have a vacuum diaphragm for the the choke pull-off - it has been replaced. I believe the choke works like it is supposed to - I'm just not getting enough fuel while choked.

Comment

• Torque
        327 Rambler
        • Jul 14, 2002

Here is a good carb info site

at the bottom of the page click on the link for carb info
        Evelynn is an '83 Cherokee Chief W/T with a 360(mildtweek),727,NP229,33x12.5,3.73:1,TFI, MSD6,Painless wiring,CRX seats but the list is growing.

The cynic is one that belives the pessimist is overly optomistic

Comment

• Lippy
          232 I6
          • Nov 14, 2000

Do yourself a favor. Go to NAPA and get part number 2-133, Choke thermostat spring. It'll run you around $50.00. Your bi-metallic choke thermostat spring is worn out. That positive terminal on the choke stat should be pointing straight towards the manifold. There is a notch on the choke housing and a notch on the choke thermostat. Line them up. I'm sure you'll find the answer to your problem after replacing this part.

Comment

• 95pontiac
            232 I6
            • Nov 24, 2002

Torque,

Thanks for the link! I do want to understand what is going on inside the carb - I wish they had completed the "tuning tips" section. I have adjusted the carb so that the butterflies are open 1/8" when the motor is cold and the choke is set - still not enough motor rpm - back to the cam on the choke - how is it adjusted?

Lippy - I bought a completely rebuilt carb from a carb shop (good reputation) - it came with a new vacuum diaphragm and choke spring.

Thanks,

Craig

Comment

Working...
            X