What makes a muffler illegal in California?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lkmarsh
    350 Buick
    • Nov 21, 2008

What makes a muffler illegal in California?

Shopping for mufflers on RockAuto, keep bumping up against
    "not legal for sale in California and New York".
    Not looking for cherry bombs or turbos, just a stock muffler.
    The one on the 69 is a 30" case and looks old enough to be original.
    What makes a plain old muffler outlaw in the PRK?
    Lyle

Seemed like a good idea at the time...
    69 1414x Wagoneer 350/TH400 DD & Ski Ride
    68 Chevelle wagon 350/BWT50
    68 Impala wagon 327/400
    73 Cougar droptop 351C/FMX Garage Queen
    04 Impala LS - Wife's DD
    73 Wagoneer parts donor

• SJTD
    304 AMC
    • Apr 26, 2012

Emissions related parts need to have CARB approval to be legal in Kal. I doubt you'd have a problem with a stock looking muffler. Be sure it has the air tube on it if you need it. I don't think they'll refuse to sell it to you.

Do you need the two year smog checks in Modesto?
    Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Comment

• asphaltrockdweller
      350 Buick
      • Jul 09, 2009

You can thank Sacramento again, and the PRK.
      They now can issue you a $1000.00 ticket (not a fix-it ticket) on the spot. The arresting officer makes the judgement call on the spot.

CA Assembly Bill AB 1824.

CA. V.C. 27151 No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the motor of such vehicle so that the vehicle is not in compliance with the provisions of Section 27150 or exceeds the noise limits established for the type of vehicle in Article 2.5(commencing with Section 27200) of this chapter. No person shall operate a motor vehicle with an exhaust system so modified.
      (Ristow)fram!....that deserves a ratchet upside the head.

Comment

• lkmarsh
        350 Buick
        • Nov 21, 2008

Not for a 69. No problem finding one for the 68 Impala. Jeep isn't running now so the muffler can wait.
        I can understand going after unplugged bikes and imports, but unless I missed something, the mufflers I saw
        listed at RockAuto were stock replacement mufflers.
        If they are louder than stock I'll pass anyway. I have the Chevelle for noise.

Might get lucky at the next swap meet. Been known to happen...
        Last edited by lkmarsh; 05-20-2019, 10:34 PM.
        Lyle

68 Impala wagon 327/400
        04 Impala LS - Wife's DD
        73 Wagoneer parts donor

Comment

• babywag
          out of order
          • Jun 08, 2005

For some strange reason this is not just a muffler issue.
          I couldn't buy an ignition module off Amazon for my Caprice.
          Order would not go through because an OEM ACDelco module was flagged as not CA legal. Was a bummer because it was open package Amazon warehouse item that was cheap!

Have seen reports of similar from folks in CA on other parts too.
          Tony
          88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• SJTD
            304 AMC
            • Apr 26, 2012

Reminds me of trying to buy R134 on Amazon. Ordered it, never came. Figgered I only thought I ordered it. Ordered again, nothing, thought I ordered it? Happened four times over a couple weeks. Last time I paid more attention and was sure I had done it and did a little digging.

Turns out there's a link for canceled orders on Amazon and there were the four orders from the same place. Why didn't the vendor say he wouldn't ship to Kal???

Would've been nice if they just showed up on the orders page as cancelled instead of getting moved to a special page.

I did finally get it from another source. A little more spensive but still way less than locally and didn't have to pay the $5 per can deposit. Or is it $10?

Headed up to Nevada next week to nose around. Gotta make a list of other contraband I can't get here.
            Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Comment

I'll add this in on mufflers. On USFS and BLM ground and in some areas, any other public ground, if they can pass a wire through the muffler, you get hit with the ticket for no spark arrester. With the fire seasons they have had over the past few years, they are getting tighter on that one.

On the A/C front, I work in a body/paint shop and our NAPA wouldn't sent out a new tank of refrigerant for our machine because we didn't have our tech's certificate on file with them..........
              Art
              ASE Master Collision Tech
              "Beast" - 81 "S" W/T, 85-360, T-18, Lock-rite,wag alloys, 31-10.50 Pro Comp MT's, Warn 8274 in a fabbed bumper/deer strainer(tested and approved)

88 XJ, 3" lift, 31-10.50's, custom bumpers and winch/tow bar mounts, Warn 9500HS, custom sliders/steps, camo paint, & headliner

Member: FSJ Prissy Restoration Assoc.

Comment

• babywag
                out of order
                • Jun 08, 2005

That's funny on A/C & NAPA...
                I finally broke down and bought a 30lb tank of r134a because didn't want to deal with the small cans ripoff pricing and deposit nonsense.

It was like $90, and counter dude NEVER asked for or said a word about my AC certification (which I had with me).
                Tony
                88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• letank
                  AMC 4 OH! 1
                  • Jun 03, 2002

same for the camshaft on summit, I had to say that it was for my 1966 wagoneer...

As for the muffler, you may be lucky at your local autozone, this is where I got the muffler for the 85 a few years ago
                  Michel
                  74 wag, 349Kmiles on original ticker/trany, except for the rust. Will it make it to the next get together without a rebuilt? Status: needs a new body.
                  85 Gwag, 229 Kmiles. $250 FSJ test lab since 02, that refuses to give up but still leaks.

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                    Administrator
                    • Oct 31, 2016

I don't think its a CARB issue, I think its the cancer warning paperwork crap. I read somewhere that there is certain paperwork that has to be filed here to sell parts in CA that says whether it contains chemicals known to cause cancer or not. Many manufacturers are just saying F'it and not selling those parts here.
                    Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                    (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
                    (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
                    79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
                    (Cherokee Build Thread)
                    11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
                    09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
                    00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• joe
                      • Apr 28, 2000

<<"What makes a muffler illegal in California?">>
                      Prolly the manufacturer didn't pony up the $$$ to get it C.A.R.B. certified.
                      joe
                      "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                        Administrator
                        • Oct 31, 2016

I'm pretty confident mufflers don't require CARB numbers (certification).
                        Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                        (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
                        (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
                        79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
                        (Cherokee Build Thread)
                        11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
                        09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
                        00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• asphaltrockdweller
                          350 Buick
                          • Jul 09, 2009

Originally posted by rang-a-stang
                          I'm pretty confident mufflers don't require CARB numbers (certification).

Yeah that!

But Commiefornia did institute a new law last year on "modified" exhaust. It kinda is up to the LEO to decide if your exhaust has been modified to make more noise.
                          They instituted this to combat street racers, but it has been used on all kinds of cars. The "Super Car" community is all up in arms, as many of them have been ticketed under the new law. The thing is non of their cars have been altered in the exhaust and still make lots of noise.
                          The fine for this ticket is $1000.00.
                          (Ristow)fram!....that deserves a ratchet upside the head.

Comment

• lkmarsh
                            350 Buick
                            • Nov 21, 2008

Bought a muffler from RockAuto that had the right measurements. The way the old muffler
                            came out in pieces made it clear I couldn't wait. It's a little louder, not much, not ticket bait loud.
                            The old one sounded better, but it was going to fall off at the next speed bump.

Saw a few vendors at the last swap meet with $20 cans of R12, did not score any since the hoses
                            on the A6 are original. AC is a problem for another day. Currently working on the Chevelle wiring.
                            Relays for the tailgate window, the door windows and locks, headlights and fog lights.
                            Lyle

68 Impala wagon 327/400
                            04 Impala LS - Wife's DD
                            73 Wagoneer parts donor

Comment

• SJTD
                              304 AMC
                              • Apr 26, 2012

Genuine R12? In Kal? For $20?

Hard to believe. Shoulda bought all they had. I looked at Walmart the other day and I think the cheapest 134 they had was $9 plus the deposit which you have to eat if you're stocking up.
                              Sic friatur crustulum

Comment

Working...
                              X