• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hudson WI
    230 Tornado
    • Jul 19, 2015

Team Grand Wagoneer Woodgrain Kits

What are the general thoughts regarding TGW's wood grain kits? I am replacing my original Marine Teak but the sample looks a little darker. The Cherry Oak has a nice wood grain but is glossier. I'd really like to stick with the Marine teak, does anyone have photos you could post and your thoughts, ideas, ease of installation, quality, etc. Thanks!
  • see2xu
    232 I6
    • Feb 18, 2013

Woodgrain

I've reluctantly used TGW for a few pieces that just CAN'T be found anywhere else, but I've experienced the kind of non-responsive customer service that is reported widely on the site.

I had a local shop use a stock woodgrain vinyl applique from their catalog. Lacks the black strips, but the color is too close for even a GW aficionado to comment on. WAY cheaper, and no need to deal with TGW and their autistic BS.

I got screwed on a Powermaster alternator that failed in <1,000 miles which I sent back to them at their behest, and then the trail went cold. I'm presently waiting on a set of the "borders", which are backordered, and tried to use the 20% credit promised if I was patient to buy some ancillary stuff (mounting rivets, wood "plugs"), but they've gone ahead and charged my Amex anyway. No response to repeated e-mails via their own contact form on the site.

Yeah, I know, I'm like voters who went for Obama again in '12, hoping things would be better, but they're the only source for some stuff, and I want this thing to be right. I'm within a week of finishing a 3 year project (less the borders, which aren't essential to daily driving), so will be done with them for good after this shipment arrives.

If it ever does.

Comment

• Hudson WI
      230 Tornado
      • Jul 19, 2015

Thanks for the input. After a little more research it looks like TGW is not at all reliable as a supplier, that would explain why they haven't responded to my questions. They're BBB rating couldn't get any worse. Too bad, they do seem to have a lot of inventory that you can't get elsewhere but it doesn't do you any good if you can't count on the service. I think I'll go with BJ's.

Comment

• Crist Clapper
        I'm being stalked by Steve... Save me!
        • Apr 28, 2008

This is a bit outdated and may not be relevant... But maybe you will find it interesting.

Phonenix Graphix (http://www.phoenixgraphix.com/custom/wood.php): 1) Cherry Oak 2) Marine Teak: 3) Burma Teak: Gunnar's review of Cherry Oak: - Thickness &amp; gloss like original - Woodgrain not original but good looking - Not compared to original Cherry but too light for Marine Teak Gunnar's review of Marine
        1990 Grand Wagoneer:
        Delilah - def: "White Lady (cocktail) with the additional ingredients of egg-whites, sugar, and cream"

1987 XJ Wagoneer Limited:
        Desiree - def: ?Much Desired? [orig: French] ? Desirable Charcoal Gray façade, Wood-grain vêneers,and Tan Leather éssentials"

Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association (FJS-PRIS)

Comment

• Tripwire
          AMC 4 OH! 1
          • Jul 30, 2000

#$%##&$^&* people you can buy the stuff directly from the maker you dont NEED TGW or Bj's if you have biases.....
          Abort? Retry? Ignore? >

86 GrandWag. Howell fuel Injected 360. MSD Ignition + Dizzy. 727/229 swap BJ's 2" Lift and 31's

88 Wrangler 4.2, Howell TBI and MSD - Borla Headers w/ Cat-back + winch and 31's AND a M416 trailer (-:

Comment

• serehill
            Gone,Never Forgotten.
            • Nov 22, 2009

LOL

Originally posted by Tripwire
            #$%##&$^&* people you can buy the stuff directly from the maker you dont NEED TGW or Bj's if you have biases.....
            Waste of time Trip. Some people have to have the drama. If believed all the bad I've heard about vendors I'd be in some corner some place shakin!!!
            Or in Irag Looking for WMD's.

80 Cherokee
            360 ci 727 with
            Comp cams 270 h
            NP208
            Edlebrock performer intake
            Holley 4180
            Msd total multi spark.
            4" rusty's springs
            Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

If you can't make it better why waste your time. No use repeating the orignal mistakes. I'm to old to push it that's why.

Comment

• LogCabinWagon
              232 I6
              • Aug 23, 2014

Some of their parts are actually hard to find the manufacturer.

If you can find me another source for these parts, I'd be impressed:

Woodgrain Trim

New Grille

Because I've deep searched.

LogCabinResort.com

1991 Grand Wagoneer <95k miles

Comment

• Crist Clapper
                I'm being stalked by Steve... Save me!
                • Apr 28, 2008

Kits: http://www.autotrimdesign.net/search.asp

Rolls of DiNoc (Like OEM): http://www.metrorestyling.com/3M-DI-...-s/19978.htm):

1990 Grand Wagoneer:
                Delilah - def: "White Lady (cocktail) with the additional ingredients of egg-whites, sugar, and cream"

1987 XJ Wagoneer Limited:
                Desiree - def: ?Much Desired? [orig: French] ? Desirable Charcoal Gray façade, Wood-grain vêneers,and Tan Leather éssentials"

Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association (FJS-PRIS)

Comment

• Tripwire
                  AMC 4 OH! 1
                  • Jul 30, 2000

thanks Crist i did not have time to go home and look for the links for trim and woodgrain, i think i used a different source for the woodgrain but they are all high quality parts and whats cool is if you %^&* it up or have an accident they will sell you replacement panels / trim
                  Abort? Retry? Ignore? >

86 GrandWag. Howell fuel Injected 360. MSD Ignition + Dizzy. 727/229 swap BJ's 2" Lift and 31's

88 Wrangler 4.2, Howell TBI and MSD - Borla Headers w/ Cat-back + winch and 31's AND a M416 trailer (-:

Comment

• LogCabinWagon
                    232 I6
                    • Aug 23, 2014

Which one is correct for Dark Blue '91? Marine Teak or Cherry Oak?

LogCabinResort.com

1991 Grand Wagoneer <95k miles

Comment

• billyrb
                      BJ's Off-Road
                      • Aug 15, 2001

It could be either, but most I've seen were marine teak. We have the woodgrain here, cheaper price than autotrim:

(note: in the pulldown menu, you'd select just the decal at $550 if that is all you want, or the full kit is $800 including the trim).
                      BJ's Off-Road
                      [email protected]
                      Your source for '63-'91 FSJ Parts

Comment

• Hudson WI
                        230 Tornado
                        • Jul 19, 2015

Thanks Billyrb, I'll be placing an order soon with BJ's and thank you to everyone else for the... input! Guess I didn't realize this was such a hot topic, all I wanted was the expertise this site is capable of. I HAVE received many woodgrain samples from various venders, including TGW, (who I thought has an excellent product) but if their business ethics suck what good are they to any of us!
                        Last edited by Strode; 08-05-2015, 01:22 AM.

Comment

• Strode
                          1st Chair, Cowbell
                          • Nov 08, 2011

Hudson, I edited your post. We don't do 'your momma's basement' crap here.
                          Brad
                          (*Allowed to post while failed 'I am not a Bot' test results are under appeal)

My build thread: 1982 Cherokee Laredo

Ristow's Bunker

Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

Comment

• Hudson WI
                            230 Tornado
                            • Jul 19, 2015

Whatever

Comment

• dlopeman
                              232 I6
                              • Sep 09, 2015

So... what are the sentiments on doing a little something different than the regular Oak-type wood grain pattern? Like, say, a cool looking wood burl or a knotty maple... or I even saw a black oak that seems kinda cool...
                              Ooooo... and I just saw the Galaxy ones here. How crazy-cool would that be!?!
                              Last edited by dlopeman; 11-12-2015, 10:20 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X