• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jwalton23
    258 I6
    • Jan 24, 2011

Transfer case swap question?

Is there a part time case that will bolt into my wag that will only require minor adjustments. Not something that will require swapping axles and such?
    91 Grand Wagoneer

AMC 360 / Torqueflight 727 / NPM 229
    Dana 44 front and rear
    6" Rustys Offroad suspension lift
    BJ's quick disconnects
    BJ's PreRunner front bumper with winch plate
    fenders trimmed
    35x12.50x15's Maxxis Bighorn mudders
    Rhino grill
    http://www.tnjeeps.com/
  • Heavy_Metal_Thunder_81
    Cherokee Outlaw
    • Jan 10, 2006

NP229 is a part time case. You could swap in a NP208 from another FSJ but make sure to get the rear drive shaft with it.
    -Jonny B.
    1979 Cherokee Golden Eagle - UNDER CONSTRUCTION
    7" Alcan springs, BJ's HD shackles - 35x12.5x15 BFG Mud Terrains
    AMC 401 - Pro-Flo 4 EFI
    NV4500/NWF BB/NP205 - Triple Stick'd
    F D44 - 4.10, Eaton E-Locker
    R M23 - 4.10, Detroit Locker

1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
    1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
    1979 Wagoneer - Sold
    1981 Cherokee Chief - Cubed

Comment

• jwalton23
      258 I6
      • Jan 24, 2011

Well what I'm looking for is a case that I can put lockIng hubs on and get the extra drag of the front drive line taken care of while driving on the road. Is the 208 in the wags a drivers drop or passenger drop?
      91 Grand Wagoneer

Dana 44 front and rear
      BJ's quick disconnects
      fenders trimmed
      Rhino grill

Comment

• joe
        • Apr 28, 2000

Your 229 is considered a full time/part time tcase because it has a 2WD mode where a strictly full time like the 219 tcase won't. The part time 208 would be your easiest swap just make sure it's from a FSJ. Don't skimp cause you can find a GM 208 cheaper cause it won't work(wrong side output for your front axle). As mentioned above get the rear drive shaft too.
        joe
        "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• jwalton23
          258 I6
          • Jan 24, 2011

Ok that was what I was looking for. I am getting my rear drive shaft lengthened because of my lift do I was debating the TC swap before I get them done. Thanks I'll start hunting the case now!
          91 Grand Wagoneer

Dana 44 front and rear
          BJ's quick disconnects
          fenders trimmed
          Rhino grill

Comment

• Tin Medic
            Loose (lug)Nut(s)
            • Mar 21, 2011

I have Warn locking hubs on my 89. I run them unlocked unless I go trail riding. You just have to remember to lock them before switching it in to 4wd or the tc goes south.
            Sons Waggy - 89 GW 360/727/208, 30x9.5x15 Destination M/Ts, Warn Lock Out Hubs, Razor Grill
            Tramp - 85 CJ-7 Renegade FI 258/T5/D300, D30 w/ARB Air Locker, AMC 20 w/Posi Unit, 33x12.5x15 Goodyear MT-R's, Hella E-Code lights, VIAIR OBA System, Warn 8000lb Winch

Comment

• jwalton23
              258 I6
              • Jan 24, 2011

Is this swap even nessaccery? I have heard good and bad things about the 229 case and i hear good things about the 208. is one really stronger than the other? my truck is a weekend wheeler/dd. i hear that wheeling a 229 is bad for it and i dont want to get out somewhere and have the VC blow up. i know its supposed to be in 4 low for wheeling but is that all the time or just when climbing slippery stuff or can it be in 4hi til you need 4 low. thats usually how i run mine. when i get to more difficult stuff i switch to low and then once im over i go back to hi. i can get a 208 pretty easily thanks to a member on here. i just dont want to do a pointless swap. i dont like the idea of having to get out to lock the hubs in but i will if need be. Someone fill me in please.
              91 Grand Wagoneer

Dana 44 front and rear
              BJ's quick disconnects
              fenders trimmed
              Rhino grill

Comment

• MonsterZ
                258 I6
                • Nov 11, 2010

It honestly really depends on exactly what you intend to do with your wag. If you are getting happy results with your 229 and you don't feel like dealing with hubs, why even bother with the swap? The difference in gear reduction for the low range is really not all that noticeably different, and with the 208 there is no full time/all wheel drive operation for crummy weather like we see up north. If you are just wanting to free up drag on the front end to save some fuel, save the cash and buy a moped, the mpg difference isn't even noticeable in my experience. I have had FSJ's with lockout hubs and with out, no difference. You won't really see a difference until you do something drastic, like a powertrain swap. I am going to a GM 6.2 diesel swap partially for this reason, at 22 average mpg the increase in fuel economy pays for itself shortly up here. If you are serious about running a no BS locker up front, or a spool, then the 208 starts to become practical. For the same amount of money involved in swapping the T-case, you could put it into another area of your jeep and get more bang for your buck.
                '75 Wagoneer, bone stock, about to be a whole garage of parts. Tear down starts 3 March, 2012,
                see how long it takes to put it back together....

'91 XJ, 3 in Rough Country lift, 33's, Rattle can paint job, roof rack and cheapo off road lights. Diffs and winch next

Comment

• fulsizjeep
                  Señor Jackhead
                  • Aug 21, 2002

I may still be using a 229 in my 88 GW if it had not locked up. I picked up the 208 the year before because the 229 had made some odd sounds from time to time in 4 hi. It was it 4 hi when it broke. 229 is good for snow/ice roads in 4 hi then red rocks and high mountains in 4 lo.
                  Flint
                  Ran when parked.
                  http://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac
                  88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s with a few Evil Twin & TT's Fabworks mods
                  76 401 Wag, 77 401 Wag, 77 401 J20
                  http://eviltwinfab.com http://www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

• jwalton23
                    258 I6
                    • Jan 24, 2011

I think I am just over thinking things. My wife is afraid of going wheeling and I'm afraid if I take her and something bad happens or breaks we won't be going any time soon. So I am trying to take every step possible to prevent her having a bad experience. Lol. I'm looking to you guys for your experience cuz this is my first wag and my first 4x4. So when it comes to stuff like that I'm clueless as to what is good bad or Inbetween.
                    91 Grand Wagoneer

Dana 44 front and rear
                    BJ's quick disconnects
                    fenders trimmed
                    Rhino grill

Comment

• FSJ Guy
                      • Mar 20, 2005

Originally posted by jwalton23
                      So I am trying to take every step possible to prevent her having a bad experience.
                      Buy a Lexus.
                      Ethan Brady
                      1987 Grand Wagoneer, slightly longer than stock.

www.bigscaryjeep.com

Don't mess with me. I once killed a living hinge.

Comment

• jwalton23
                        258 I6
                        • Jan 24, 2011

Originally posted by FSJ Guy
                        Buy a Lexus.
                        Lol! Where's the fun in that!
                        91 Grand Wagoneer

Dana 44 front and rear
                        BJ's quick disconnects
                        fenders trimmed
                        Rhino grill

Comment

• SmrtJustin
                          232 I6
                          • May 05, 2006

I have swapped a 208 into mine. You do not need lock out hubs up front. I drive mine on the expressway all the time in 2wd with no lock outs. The biggest advantage is the 208 is locked front to rear in 4HI. The 229 is full-time in 4HI by using a viscous coupler. Locked 4HI is better for off road, and you don't have to worry about the viscous coupler.
                          1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer

360/727/NP208
                          Hell Creek 4" Lift
                          BFG All-Terrain T/A KO 32x11.5x15
                          CS-144, Rostra 250-1223 Cruise Control, SAE 3/4"-16 Oil Filter
                          EFI: DynamicEFI EBL Flash ECM, HEI with ECM timing control, ECM controlled EGR and CCP, in-tank EP386 fuel pump

Comment

• Tin Medic
                            Loose (lug)Nut(s)
                            • Mar 21, 2011

Originally posted by jwalton23
                            Lol! Where's the fun in that!
                            He didnt mean for you, he meant for your wife. You're stuck with the jeep.
                            Sons Waggy - 89 GW 360/727/208, 30x9.5x15 Destination M/Ts, Warn Lock Out Hubs, Razor Grill
                            Tramp - 85 CJ-7 Renegade FI 258/T5/D300, D30 w/ARB Air Locker, AMC 20 w/Posi Unit, 33x12.5x15 Goodyear MT-R's, Hella E-Code lights, VIAIR OBA System, Warn 8000lb Winch

Comment

• ROK360
                              232 I6
                              • Sep 29, 2007

Have just swapped a 208 into my wagon, mine being an 84 has the vacuum front 44 so have a set of hubs to throw in when I get around to pinning the vacuum system. Main reason I got rid of the 229 was it was leaking real bad as the bearings were all out of round and the collar seals were leaking real bad, rebuilding it was going to cost too much compared with throwing the 208 + driveshaft I had sitting on the floor in the shed. The simplicity of the 208 is something that always gets raised on here as well, another reason that the hubs will go on the front axle.

After two weeks I can almost safely say I have a leak free SJ.
                              ROK360
                              84 FSJ LTD (Aussie built in the Brisbane Jeep Factory)
                              'The LPG (propane) powered Canyonero'
                              Tow truck, Daily Driver, and adventure non-urban vehicle

Comment

Working...
                              X