Best charger/technique for a stored battery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rough_idle
    232 I6
    • Jun 08, 2002

Best charger/technique for a stored battery?

What is the best charger/technique for a stored battery? Charger features: automatic shutoff?

I found this at Harbor Freight ... Junk?
    Harbor Freight buys their top quality tools from the same factories that supply our competitors. We cut out the middleman and pass the savings to you!

Any (inexpensive) suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks.
  • dnixon
    360 AMC
    • Jul 28, 2002

make sure you keep your battery off the concrete... I'm no chemist or electrical engineer but I always heard its a sure way to get your stored battery drained... An auto shutoff might be a good feature I would look for.. but I don't think you should have a problem with storing the battery it should hold charge for a while...
    All It Takes Is Money.
    I'm the reason why you can only have Jeeps for Avatars. You're welcome.

Comment

• cammobus
      232 I6
      • Mar 13, 2004

Battery FAQ

this site has more info about lead / acid batteries than you could ever hope to want

also search for the "HOME POWER" site - these guys do alot with storage battries - and are in teh know as well
      No Matter Where You Go, There You Are ....

86 Stock 64,000 miles

83 Cherokee - 258 I6 Stock [for now]

Comment

• Sbonley
        327 Rambler
        • Dec 16, 2002

The battery dying from being stored on concrete is an old myth, which has been tested many times over the years and found to be completely untrue. The environment they are stored in makes the difference. The best way to keep them alive is a smart trickle charger.
        \'79 Cherokee Golden Eagle<br />Mostly Stock (for the moment)

Comment

• Jlamb
          327 Rambler
          • Nov 08, 2003

The thing that you are looking at from Harbor Freight is just a "battery tender" it keeps the charge of the battery when it is fully charged. You hook that thing up when you store a vehicle and it is ready to go. It will not charge your battery, you will blow that thing up. It is only there to keep the battery charged. The best way to charge a battery is with a trickle (slow) charge. It allows the battery to "breath" while it is charging. You can use a fast start charger and it usually works but is not the preferred way.

As far as keeping the battery off concrete, the myth started with the old 6v batteries. Keeping an old turd on concrete will drain the battery, but the technology is too far advanced on new batteries. I have a few batteries on my concrete floor that is keeping a charge.
          1979 J20,360,TH400,QT

Comment

• Rogue
            360 AMC
            • Nov 17, 2001

the concrete thing was true back in the 30's when battery housings were made out of carboard
            Jeff - 74 Cherokee S 401/400/QT - basically stock

Comment

• rough_idle
              232 I6
              • Jun 08, 2002

Originally posted by Jlamb3485:
              ...it keeps the charge of the battery when it is fully charged. You hook that thing up when you store a vehicle and it is ready to go.
              This is the scenario I'd use it in actually. Thanks for the other comments in the post. Good times.

Comment

• steamer
                232 I6
                • Nov 10, 2002

Just as information, I've got several vehicles, some of which are never driven during the winter months. Although I strongly disagree with supporting the communist Chinese economy, I bought one of those units over a year ago on a whim, but to my suprise it does keep the charged battery up for extended storage.

Comment

• jgarcia2
                  232 I6
                  • Mar 04, 2004

You know, if you keep an eye out at Sears, you can sometimes get one of their battery chargers for under $40. Usually when they change a spec or the look of the things. Just make sure it has an automatic setting and a 2 amp mode. I've had batteries on that setting for QUITE some time. The charger just kicks back in when the voltage drops...just enough to top it off.

Plus, that gives you a fast charge mode for when you need it, and the last one I bought also had a "start" mode for jumping. Of course, you need a long extension cord for that!

Here's a link to one at sears for $60.

Keep your eye out for sales. You can't go wrong having a good charger around. BUT...if you need to save moola and just want something to keep it going...I'm sure that harbor frieght device would do. Just my 2 cents!
                  1983 Wagoneer Ltd<br />MSD 6A and TFI, carpet removal and seat repair Motor and Tranny rebuild, frame repair, in progress...ugh...

Comment

Working...
                  X