International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > FSJ-PRIS

Old 03-02-2018, 12:17 PM
304 AMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankyolman
After watching that video I'm now going to cut a hole in my hood and stick a salad bowl on top of the carburetor.
Part of me wants to laugh because that sounds so silly. Then I realized last time you wrote something I thought it was a silly idea (4 headlights) I totally ate crow because it was awesome.

I do plan on doing a pseudo salad bowl install when I do my EFI install. Something like this:
Homemade TBI Salad bowl
09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
Old 03-02-2018, 07:12 PM
out of order

Quote:
Originally Posted by rang-a-stang
Part of me wants to laugh because that sounds so silly. Then I realized last time you wrote something I thought it was a silly idea (4 headlights) I totally ate crow because it was awesome.

I do plan on doing a pseudo salad bowl install when I do my EFI install. Something like this:
Homemade TBI Salad bowl

Seriously doubt a setup like that would fit. Engines sit high in these. The stocker TBI spacer is about all you’ll fit in there.
Old 03-03-2018, 07:26 AM
232 I6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rang-a-stang

Homemade TBI Salad bowl
I was just joking about that but I do tend to do a lot of goofy things, mostly involving apples, or other types of fruit but it all tends to overflow into pretty much everything with me. Because I want my truck to look pretty much original I will not be replacing the breather with a salad bowl or cutting a hole in the hood. If I had a rat rod or something with a hole or scoop already, hell yes I would. Before I changed the grill out I was considering fabricating a ram air duct on the bottom of the hood that would utilize the gap between the filler at the front and the hood to funnel cold air to the engine. With the rhino grill that is no longer a very practical option and I am perfectly happy with the performance of my engine except for the heat soaking problem these older AMCs tend to suffer from.
Old 03-03-2018, 10:36 AM
out of order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankyolman
I was just joking about that but I do tend to do a lot of goofy things, mostly involving apples, or other types of fruit but it all tends to overflow into pretty much everything with me. Because I want my truck to look pretty much original I will not be replacing the breather with a salad bowl or cutting a hole in the hood. If I had a rat rod or something with a hole or scoop already, hell yes I would. Before I changed the grill out I was considering fabricating a ram air duct on the bottom of the hood that would utilize the gap between the filler at the front and the hood to funnel cold air to the engine. With the rhino grill that is no longer a very practical option and I am perfectly happy with the performance of my engine except for the heat soaking problem these older AMCs tend to suffer from.

There is room in cowl to add a cold air inlet, if core support/valance isn't what you want to cut into.
Old 03-07-2018, 01:55 AM
The Nigel Tufnel of the FSJ world.

You can do what I do in the summer.

Screw-clamp 3" corrugated metal duct from ACE Hardware onto your stock air cleaner and route it under the front bumper with baling wire to hold it in place.

It's redneck but it works and I don't want to make any permanent modifications to my Jeep or its air cleaner. I have an early air cleaner with the round snorkel that was never designed to have a plastic duct on it like the later air cleaners did.

It seriously works. Hot summer days with the A/C on used to cause some rough idle/vapor lock problems when I didn't have "redneck duct". No such problems with "redneck duct". I figured out to put a mesh screen over the end of the duct after I filled my air cleaner with locust parts. I take the duct off in winter.

Yes, babywag, I hear you, "TBI don't have that problem". I know that. I'd rather just clamp a duct onto my air cleaner though and be done with it.

I love how arguements end as soon as Ristow comments. Ristow is right...again.