International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > FSJ-PRIS

Old 01-04-2018, 01:16 AM
232 I6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 440sixpack
The holes were right on the front of the box either on top of the bed rail or inside of it I don't recall.

No holes up front when I had it, if this is it.

I don't recall a SO tag but I'm not sure I would have looked or cared at that time.

In any event it's a pretty rare rig I've only seen one exactly like it in my life besides yours.
Sorry, no holes at the front of the bed. I think someone else in Oregon said they owned one just like it too. It also matches some they used in some adds so maybe it was a pretty popular trim package. My understanding of this one is that it spent it's whole life up north of me, Monroe Wa area and the lady I got it from was the doughtier of the original owner. I'm sure there is probably a way to verify that but not sure how or that it really matters. I know '72 J4000s in general are pretty uncommon due to a very small production run, add options like a 360, automatic, two tone paint and a radio and it probably narrows things to probably less than 2,000. I have actually seen 4 or 5 '72s in the past 2 years.I've been told by more than one person that there is also a 73 running around Kent, just east pf me, in the same paint scheme. One '72 was up for sale shortly after I bought mine. It would have looked identical but didn't have the wood grain stripe. I almost bought that one as well since it was only $350 due to a small engine fire. I mentioned it to a friend of mine in Michigan and he wanted it. He had an idea to fly out here, make it run and drive it home because he was tired of the stick shift in his '68. I told him if he was serious I'd buy it and start getting it ready, I offered to let him use the distributor and carb from mine if necessary and we had mine as a reference for all the wiring and vacuum lines. Then I guess he sobered up and realized we both have gotten too old to go buying a broke down truck, spending a couple days fixing it, then attempting to drive it 2,300 miles back home.
Old 01-04-2018, 10:52 AM
232 I6

Who did the radio?

Crankyolman, awesome job on the restoration. The interior is beautiful, and funny story on the co-worker.
Who converted your radio? It looks great! I was trying to figure out how to get new sound in mine without cutting the dash.
Can't wait to see the new paint. Hope it goes well for you, paint was no fun for me.

You know it's a good morning when the gas gauge works for the whole drive.

1970.5 Gladiator J-4800 Camper Special Custom Cab - 55,000 Miles (Under Reconstruction)
1967 Jeepster Convertible - 8071 Deluxe - 65,000 Miles
Old 01-04-2018, 11:33 AM
304 AMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by CameraFinn
Who did the radio?
yes, inquiring minds want to know...
09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
Old 01-04-2018, 12:03 PM
232 I6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CameraFinn
Crankyolman, awesome job on the restoration. The interior is beautiful, and funny story on the co-worker.
Who converted your radio? It looks great! I was trying to figure out how to get new sound in mine without cutting the dash.
The person who did my radio was
http://www.billtheradioguy.com/
It's not very cheap I think it was around the cost of a replacement radio but worth it to me to keep my original radio and get FM. There are a couple of people doing this. Here is a list of at least some
http://tech-retro.com/Aurora_Design/Auto_Dealers.html
One thing to be aware of is to be very specific about what you want done As far as converting to AM-FM he has two things he does, one is called an "add-on" the other a "Conversion" to him these mean 2 different things.
http://www.billtheradioguy.com/conversions.html

"Add-on" means he adds on an FM tuner and aux jack and can add on extra speaker connections, which I didn't have done or want.

"Conversion" means "Stereo conversion allows from 1 to 4 speaker stereo from AM/FM, iPod, MP3, CD, USB and Bluetooth input with an option for Voice Command. With power ratings at 4x45 watts, external amplifiers may be added through 5 line outputs for even more power if desired."

Not being aware of this I asked for an FM only conversion, which to me meant just add FM (Mono) but to him meant the full blown conversion with 4 speakers and all that. When he told me it was ready and the bill was $450 I had a cow because that was not what I asked for. I only have one speaker and don't plan on adding others because I'm almost deaf in one ear so stereo is wasted on me and I didn't want to add any speakers. He said he would make it right and a week or two later sent me a radio back that was Mono but I noticed the original connections were not on it. So I checked my pictures and found it had a different serial number than the one I sent him so I had another cow and fired off a very unpleasant email to him because I expected MY radio back not somebody else's. He apologized, paid return shipping and made it right. I'm happy with my radio and wouldn't hesitate to send him another one, I just feel it's necessary to caution people considering this about being very precise about what you want and expect. If you want just FM added specify you want an FM mono add-on. If you want extra speakers, specify that or whatever you specifically want and if you are as picky as me and expect to get back the exact radio with the correct numbers and exact wiring connections, specify that and take pictures so you can be certain you get what you are paying him to do.

I don't really blame him for trying to switch out radios, he did the full conversion thing on mine and didn't want to do all the work to undo it when it is likely nobody would notice the switch. The truth is I wouldn't have noticed the switch if it hadn't been for the different connectors, which left me scrambling to try to make work rather than just sticking it back in and connecting up the original connections.
Old 01-05-2018, 06:25 AM
I got the Willys....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankyolman
There are 4 mystery holes on each side forward of the windshield where something was mounted at some time.

Have a pic? Sounds like it may have had a slide in camper and someone mounted shocks on the cowl. Most of them mount with 4 sheet metal screws to the cowl. It used to be common to mount special shocks from the cowl area to the overhang of a camper to help reduced the rocking motion of the camper. My dually that used to have a cab over camper mounted to the chassis has four holes on each side of the cowl on it for the same reason.
J2000 Platform-Stake Dump 350/T18

1970 Gladiator J3000 3407Z Camper Truck 350/T18
1968 Gladiator J3000 3406Z 160" wheel base DRW 350/T18
1963 Gladiator J300 Townside 350/TH400

Old 01-05-2018, 10:49 AM
232 I6

Crankyolman,
Thank you very much for the info on the radio conversion, and what to expect from him. I will certainly keep that option in mind. Again, pretty truck!

You know it's a good morning when the gas gauge works for the whole drive.

1970.5 Gladiator J-4800 Camper Special Custom Cab - 55,000 Miles (Under Reconstruction)
1967 Jeepster Convertible - 8071 Deluxe - 65,000 Miles
Old 01-05-2018, 05:35 PM
232 I6

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaiserMan
Have a pic? Sounds like it may have had a slide in camper and someone mounted shocks on the cowl. Most of them mount with 4 sheet metal screws to the cowl. It used to be common to mount special shocks from the cowl area to the overhang of a camper to help reduced the rocking motion of the camper. My dually that used to have a cab over camper mounted to the chassis has four holes on each side of the cowl on it for the same reason.

That makes sense. It did at one time have something in the bed because there are still remnants of the seal that was used, I figured it was a topper given this is a 4500 and not something heavy duty.
Old 01-05-2018, 06:42 PM
I got the Willys....

That definitely looks like the brackets for camper anti-sway shocks.

You can kind of see how they mount on this International.

Old 01-05-2018, 09:22 PM
232 I6

I guess they aren't mystery holes any more Thanks guys.
Old 01-17-2018, 05:27 PM
232 I6

My mail man just delivered an early birthday present my wife bought for me.
A rhino grill in very nice condition.

Yesterday we went to the pick your own parts place and found some small headlight buckets, retainer rings and some bezels off a 66 Mercury that look like they will work with some slight modification and some headlight pigtails so I can wire them up. These are going to be used in place of the pie pans. I was in a hurry at the u-pull it and forgot to look for something with large bezels that would work but I think BJs sells those so that shouldn't be a big deal. I was actually really upset at the time because I found out the '72 J4000 they had with the good bed went to the crusher before I could buy it That would have made things much easier for me.

I've now resigned to keeping and fixing the bed I have. I've been putting things off because I haven't wanted to go through the ugly truck times that it has to go through while it's getting fixed for paint. I have now braced myself for that period and have begun doing the necessary things to start that process. Number one was to start removing the few dents it has beginning with the right rear fender flare. When I got the truck it looked like this
The other day I happened to notice a big crescent wrench in the floorboard and decided to begin working the dent out.

It's still a work in progress but it now looks like this
Which is pretty good in my opinion, it just needs some finishing work.

I also pulled the handle off the passengers side behind the door, the chrome trim around the back window and the cover plates at the back side of the tailgate.

My next plan is to begin removing the badges, chrome strips and the grill and begin fitting the rhino and aux lights. I found a couple people to talk to about the rust repair but haven't really settled on anything there. I figure I'll get all the chrome and stuff removed before I talk to anybody about it so they can see exactly what I will expect of them. I'm really tempted to buy a welder and some sheet metal or some bed sides and try tackling that myself but don't really feel up to it.

I've also been arguing with my wife about the color. She is insisting I go back with the original colors where I am still planning on the black cherry.
Old 01-18-2018, 10:57 AM
360 AMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaiserMan
That definitely looks like the brackets for camper anti-sway shocks.

You can kind of see how they mount on this International.

There is something kinda cool about that camper. I don't think I have ever seen an Airsteam inspired bed camper before
* 1973 jcab mounted on 1983 j20 frame. 360/t18/208 d44/d60. Almost completed
Old 01-20-2018, 08:02 PM
I got the Willys....

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasJ10
There is something kinda cool about that camper. I don't think I have ever seen an Airsteam inspired bed camper before

It's an Avion or a Cayo (made by the same guy if i remember right). Pretty nice campers, and they still pop up for sale fairly often.

Old 01-22-2018, 01:53 AM
The Nigel Tufnel of the FSJ world.

I cannot tell you if your lower body color is Copper-Tan or not, but I can tell you that the upper body color is Champagne White. All two-tones used Champagne White as the second color.

The special order tag is odd. My Wagoneer of the same year was ordered from the factory exactly the way my grandfather wanted it, and it does not have a tag like that. Then again, a customer ordering a car optioned the way they wanted may not have been officially called a "special order" deserving of that tag. Perhaps a "special order" meant something else.

I love how arguements end as soon as Ristow comments. Ristow is right...again.
Old 01-22-2018, 03:25 PM
232 I6

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSJunkie
I cannot tell you if your lower body color is Copper-Tan or not, but I can tell you that the upper body color is Champagne White. All two-tones used Champagne White as the second color.

The special order tag is odd. My Wagoneer of the same year was ordered from the factory exactly the way my grandfather wanted it, and it does not have a tag like that. Then again, a customer ordering a car optioned the way they wanted may not have been officially called a "special order" deserving of that tag. Perhaps a "special order" meant something else.
According to this paint code chart ( http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/colorcod...r=1972&rows=50 ) the 524 code is the copper tan, but just looking at it I knew it was. I wondered why they didn't bother putting a second paint code number. I guess there was no need if they only used one secondary color. I would like to know what the trim code number meant but haven't found anything on that yet.

I miss the days when you could order a car exactly the way you want it. I certainly can't do that today. When we were looking for a brand new vehicle a few years ago I insisted on one with a power drivers seat, tilt wheel and no sun/moon roof, because I don't want a giant freaking hole in the roof that lets the sun shine in my eyes when it's sunny and the rain in when it's not. The car companies acted like i was crazy, Like how dare I not want a giant hole in the roof! On top of that I was told to add a power seat to the base model, which was the only one even offered without the hole, would cost an extra $5,000. I hate car shopping and would much rather buy something old and redo it, that's why I have been working on convincing my wife that we need to get rid of the modern car and buy a '57-61 Studebaker Hawk and upgrade it with parts out of a donor Corvette. That way she gets all the luxuries she wants, like tilt wheel and heated power seats without getting a bunch of crap neither of us want.

Speaking of things I want, I have begun fitting the rhino grill. It's in place but I need to cut a hole to extend the hood latch to where it can be used. I made a template to mount the inner headlight buckets. I plan on fabricating a backing plate to mount the headlight buckets to out of some scrap stainless steel I happen to have. Finding info on the inside headlights is a bit elusive, mostly because of photobucket and other third party picture hosting sites. Most people who have done this seem to use pictures, that are no longer available, to explain what they did so basically the information is now gone.

Tomorrow I'm planning on another trip to the junkyard to get a few more minor bits and pieces and I should have the front all together soon.

I also started pulling all the chrome trim and such to get the body ready for paint.

Last edited by Crankyolman : 01-22-2018 at 08:57 PM.
Old 01-27-2018, 05:46 AM
304 AMC

Nice J4000, thanks for sharing the plates. The color "Copper Tan" is listed in the jeep books for '73 but not for '72, i guess that the copper tan color was introduced during the year '72.
524 is actually a two-tone code number, so no need for a second paint code, the second color is always "champagne white"
The code for the single tone "copper tan" is 517

I can decode the trim code, but i am not sure for the third digit : "389" ?

Last edited by mud89 : 01-27-2018 at 05:56 AM.
Old 01-27-2018, 06:14 PM
232 I6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mud89
Nice J4000, thanks for sharing the plates. The color "Copper Tan" is listed in the jeep books for '73 but not for '72, i guess that the copper tan color was introduced during the year '72.
524 is actually a two-tone code number, so no need for a second paint code, the second color is always "champagne white"
The code for the single tone "copper tan" is 517

I can decode the trim code, but i am not sure for the third digit : "389" ?
Yes the trim code is 389
Old 01-28-2018, 02:20 AM
304 AMC

ok according to the jeep data book, 389 means : bench seat custom cab, option : perforated pleated vinyl "uganda", buff color
I have no clue for the special order number
Old 01-28-2018, 06:44 PM
232 I6

Quote:
ok according to the jeep data book, 389 means : bench seat custom cab, option : perforated pleated vinyl "uganda", buff color
I have no clue for the special order number
Thank you, that is what it had when I got it It's nice to be able to document that stuff. Finding out the copper tan isn't listed for '72 kind of compels me to return it to copper tan rather than the black cherry I plan on going with. Decisions...decisions I think I remember reading somewhere that something like only 9,000 Jeep pickups were produced in '72 which includes both the J2000 and J4000. Of those the numbers of 4500s with the two tone paint, 360 engine, auto trans, teak wood grain stripe and the other options this one has must have been extraordinarily small. It reminds me of a time I stopped at a 60's Ford car get together in Dearborn Mi, where some of the ugliest cars I've ever seen in my life were on display. Most of the owners of these old fords were very proud of the significantly small number of whatever model it was that were produced with exactly the color and options theirs had. Most of them were considerably greater production numbers than the number of all jeep pickups produced in '72, much less with the specific options on any given one of them.
Old 01-29-2018, 07:22 AM
304 AMC

I don't have a breakdown by options for the '72 production figures, besides i don't think such a breakdown still exists. For the total i have the same figures : 8600-8700 , of which around 5600 were J4000s
Old 02-01-2018, 10:02 PM
232 I6

Quote:
I don't have a breakdown by options for the '72 production figures, besides i don't think such a breakdown still exists. For the total i have the same figures : 8600-8700 , of which around 5600 were J4000s
It's kind of a shame but I suppose that's one of those things that helps make our vehicles unique. Thank you for the info.