• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ProTouring442
    327 Rambler
    • Mar 15, 2011

Thinking Aloud

Has anyone thought of using the Toyota 1HZ or 1HD diesels? These are 4.2 liter diesels that were used to power the Landcruiser. The Landcruiser weighs in at 4,500 pounds, so this medium duty diesel seems a good fit.

Any thoughts?
    You ever wonder what medieval cook looked at the guts of a pig and thought, "I bet if you washed out that poop tube, you could stuff it with meat and eat it."
  • nc wagoneer
    350 Buick
    • May 08, 2012

You also have to account that the landcruisers with those engines had DEEP (5.xx) gearing and a high overdrive to compensate, but even then only did around 60-65 mph. I'm sure it could work, but the cost of the engines themselves, plus the equipment required to make it work, would outweigh the benefits
    old blue-79 jeep wagoneer 360 Quadra Trac (soon to be for sale )
    Name TBA: 77 j20 D60/d44 360/t15 with flatbed (new toy)
    "BROWED AND PROUD"
    Originally posted by fulsizjeep
    Truth is FSJs are crack on wheels. One taste and you are addicted. Then you just want more. Anyone who does not see this is in denial.

Comment

• joe
      • Apr 28, 2000

Thought about it back when I ran LC's but since they were never imported into the US they're not very common here. Found a few in Canada but the prices for a tired worn old dsl motor were pretty outrageous. Prolly be a decent motor but by the time you find/buy it, get it home and rebuild it the dollar numbers get pretty big. If I had access to a cheap one I'd use it.
      joe
      "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• ProTouring442
        327 Rambler
        • Mar 15, 2011

Originally posted by nc wagoneer
        You also have to account that the landcruisers with those engines had DEEP (5.xx) gearing and a high overdrive to compensate, but even then only did around 60-65 mph. I'm sure it could work, but the cost of the engines themselves, plus the equipment required to make it work, would outweigh the benefits
        Are you sure? 130hp(ish) and over 200ftlbs of torque, doesn't sound like such would be necessary...

Sometime in the future, I would like go with a diesel. The options, as I understand them are:

GM 6.2/6.5
        Cummins 4bt
        Cummins 6bt
        Isuzu 4bd
        Isuzu 6bd

Of course, I am looking for reliability, but also to improve mileage to a point that, excluding the price of the engine, the swap is worth it. I say excluding the cost of the engine because I believe my 360 will need to be rebuilt sometime in the next several years, and so that money is a sunk cost.

The problem I see with most of these swaps is that they do not drastically improve fuel mileage as they were made to pull around much heavier loads.

The exceptions in this list are the Cummins 4bt and Isuzu 4bd, but these seem to vibrate on the order of a paint shaker.

I have also considered (do not laugh) the Oldsmobile 4.3/5.7. Yes, the earlier Olds diesels (thanks to GM's decision to put them in everything before Olds finished developing the engine) had many problems, but these were mostly solved by the time the DX engines were released.

Rebuilding an Olds diesel with lower compression pistons, ARP head and main studs, an O-ringed block, and a turbo should make for a very reliable and fuel efficient engine, but...

The "but" is that I would now be taking on developmental work whereas the other engines are already developed, and only need minor modifications to be good performers.

Thoughts, thoughts, thoughts...
        You ever wonder what medieval cook looked at the guts of a pig and thought, "I bet if you washed out that poop tube, you could stuff it with meat and eat it."

Comment

• Mikel
          • Aug 09, 2000

Originally posted by ProTouring442

The exceptions in this list are the Cummins 4bt and Isuzu 4bd, but these seem to vibrate on the order of a paint shaker.
          Once I raised the idle in my 4BT to the 800 RPM range, it became silky smooth. I could use less noise, but vibration is not an issue at all.
          1969 M715 6x6
          1963 J300 Swivel frame

Comment

• ProTouring442
            327 Rambler
            • Mar 15, 2011

Maybe the 6bt, with 17" wheels and tires roughly 33" tall, with stock '89 gears, would be a good choice?

Reading like mad...

Not looking for a hot rod, and I don't go mudding or rock hopping...

Comment

• tndonor
              258 I6
              • Apr 05, 2006

As Mikel stated, I had a Cummins 4B in a J10. I set the idle at 850 and it was fine. It shook a bit at shut down, but who cares.

You could dump a ton of money in machining and go fast parts for an Old Diesel, 6.2 or the like. In my opinion, the money would be better suited for a proven platform that wont require the go fast parts to replace if they break.

If you add the cost and time of getting lower compression pistons, arp fasteners, etc, you could probably start with a platform that will have more reliable power out of the box.

My 0.02
              1980 J10 4BTA (p pumped) NV4500, d300, np205. Dana 60s Sold and parted out
              1967 M715 Cummins 6B p7100
              HX35/HT3B compound turbos. NV4500. 203/205 Doubler. 14B FF 4.56 Detroit/ HP60 4.56 OX

Comment

• poolmike
                232 I6
                • Mar 03, 2005

Take it from the dummy that has tried multiple engines.....go with a 12 valve Cummins. If you can hold out, they do show up cheap, or in my case...free! You just have to be militant about searching CL/eBay, etc.
                '68 M715, Cummins P-pump 5.9, NV4500, NP205, 14 bolt/Dana 60, 20x10 American Racing Mojave's w/12.50R20 Michelin XL's, relentless rust....

Comment

• ProTouring442
                  327 Rambler
                  • Mar 15, 2011

Originally posted by tndonor
                  As Mikel stated, I had a Cummins 4B in a J10. I set the idle at 850 and it was fine. It shook a bit at shut down, but who cares.

You could dump a ton of money in machining and go fast parts for an Old Diesel, 6.2 or the like. In my opinion, the money would be better suited for a proven platform that wont require the go fast parts to replace if they break.

If you add the cost and time of getting lower compression pistons, arp fasteners, etc, you could probably start with a platform that will have more reliable power out of the box.

My 0.02
                  You make good points...

I see you are in Knoxville. We're in the Lenoir City area (actually, between Lenoir City and Farragut). We'll have to get together sometime!

Originally posted by poolmike
                  Take it from the dummy that has tried multiple engines.....go with a 12 valve Cummins. If you can hold out, they do show up cheap, or in my case...free! You just have to be militant about searching CL/eBay, etc.
                  Time is definitely something I have... and the 6bt with a 47RH is looking more and more like the best choice.

My biggest problem seems to be that I think too much!

Thanks guys!

Comment

• tndonor
                    258 I6
                    • Apr 05, 2006

Ill be driving mine pretty soon working some bugs out, Id be happy to hop over there. Watt road is usually where I fuel my big stuff anyway
                    1980 J10 4BTA (p pumped) NV4500, d300, np205. Dana 60s Sold and parted out
                    1967 M715 Cummins 6B p7100
                    HX35/HT3B compound turbos. NV4500. 203/205 Doubler. 14B FF 4.56 Detroit/ HP60 4.56 OX

Comment

• ProTouring442
                      327 Rambler
                      • Mar 15, 2011

Originally posted by tndonor
                      Ill be driving mine pretty soon working some bugs out, Id be happy to hop over there. Watt road is usually where I fuel my big stuff anyway
                      Hit me up the next time you're planning to be out and about, and we'll meet up somewhere!

Comment

• Mikel
                        • Aug 09, 2000

Originally posted by poolmike
                        You and I have had the exact opposite engine experiences. My 4BT was much peppier than yours and your stock 6BT vastly faster than mine (P-pump DOG!).
                        1969 M715 6x6
                        1963 J300 Swivel frame

Comment

• Resbum
                          327 Rambler
                          • Jun 16, 2010

Originally posted by ProTouring442
                          ... and the 6bt with a 47RH is looking more and more like the best choice.
                          This is the route I went and I couldn't be happier. However, the Cummins has a history of eating up 47RH's in stock form. Upgrading my trans to handle the low rpm torque of the Cummins has been the single most expensive part of my build. But I went overkill. My trans should be good to 1100ft/lbs of torque.

Look up Diesel Transmission Technology, DTT. They know the 47RH very well and Bill & Steve Kondoley were willing to talk to me a lot before I bought anything.

I would estimate $1700 to beef up the parts known to give up the ghost and have a trans you have faith in.

Resbum
                          Originally posted by Resbum
                          "What year is my truck?... Which part?" Build thread- http://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/view...p=18290#p18290

Comment

Working...
                          X